Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Roading & Green Laning > Best setting for general off roading is SAND and no DSC?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

ad210358 wrote:
So it's a bit pointless of LR having a Mud/Ruts setting. Confused General off road driving is keeping momentum and not inducing wheel slip, the opposite of what has been suggested.

On a lighter note and given the direction that LandRover is going I wouldn't be surprised if they introduced a "Chelsea Tractor" setting optimised for tarmac and the occasional pavement. Very Happy

Post #223405 29th Apr 2014 8:59 am
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

The already have! Look at the Active Driveline (I think that's what they call it) as used on the latest Evoques - and doubtless to be used on the Discovery Sport. Crying or Very sad

In the Africa off-road type scenarios I'd tend to agree that traditional 4x4 drivetrains like the Defender's are the way to go. The problem with the electronic systems is that something as simple as damage to a wheel sensor or its wiring can take out your entire 4x4 system. At least on the Toyota he was left with 3WD. In terms of maximum traction you still can't beat 3 locked diffs and a light right foot! Current LR electronic systems are more about fuel consumption, on-road use and marketing than off-road capability.

Post #223407 29th Apr 2014 9:23 am
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

I've been off road a lot. Here are a few points...
Stability control is NOT traction control. Look it up on google. So turning the stability control off doesn't interfere with the traction control.
Sand mode gives you better throttle response. It is also better for maintaining momentum. Situations requiring momentum are driving on sand, crossing rivers and long sections of mud if a slower approach has already been tried. To maintain momentum it is vital to turn DSC off as it is the number 1 momentum killer.
I don't think that there is a blanket setting that should be used, I change the settings constantly according to the obstacles currently in front of me. For general dirt tracks, grass, gravel snow is fine. If there is a steep rocky climb, mud ruts is excellent but I do turn off both HDC and DSC. On sand, river crossings or anywhere requiring a bit of right foot then sand mode without DSC.
Finally, I have not found any situations during serious off road driving where DSC is any help at all, in fact quite the contrary. I wish it automatically disengaged when special programs were switched on. The traction control on Land Rovers is the world's best in my opinion.

Post #223502 29th Apr 2014 9:00 pm
andypreston33

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Mike - yes I think that's spot on

I'm relatively new to offroading, but experience so far says terrain response is really great. I completely agree with your settings, and that DSC can be a bit unhelpful. Last outing I got stuck in mud/tree roots, and reading what you say I should definitely have turned off DSC for better results

Will try it out on next trip. Generally I find mud/ruts most useful most often (maybe coz we have so much mud here!) when std and GGS wont hack it. HDC is good too when you're going down a steep slope - well that's what its for eh?

Overall I'm hugely impressed with the LR2s offroad capability. My club includes lots of very serious offroad machinery and the std Landie keeps up really well with them all. Love it!

Post #223602 30th Apr 2014 9:10 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12