« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > BMW X3 - Photos
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue
BMW X3 - Photos

Finally got around to taking some photos of my new X3 that I thought I would share - be nice....

My next FL2 was going to be Orkney grey so when I decided on the X3 it was an easy choice for me to select Space Grey, this colour really does show off the X3's lines

The X3 is a bit longer than the FL2 (about 9 inches from memory)

Its the interior which is a massive step up from the FL2, oyster leather really lifts the cabin, sports front seats have huge side bolsters that hold you in and are really comfy. No hard scratchy plastics to be found and fit and finish is exceptional, eight speed auto is a delight although yet to use the flappy paddles!

The extra length means there is loads more room in the rear than the FL2, its about time the FL2 had rear air vents. This X3 also benefits from 3 level heated rear seats.

The sunroof is massive and the front section actually opens its full size unlike the FL2. Its wider and longer than the FL2 and comes with a full length electric sunblind. A nice touch is that one press of the switch tilts the front section open and pulls back the sunblind by a foot to let fresh air in.

And finally the boot which is huge compared to the FL2. The electric tailgate rises to reveal a mass of space and useful touches. There is a waterproof trough to the right for muddy shoes, a band to hold bottles etc, on the left a netted pocket to keep things still and the floor rails that come with a net to hold items down. Under the boot floor is another huge area for storage (I have all my work tickle tackle in there hence why the boot looks empty!)

All in all I am mightily impressed with the X3 and whilst I know it probably wont fair too well in the snow this vehicle does everything that I want it to for me and more. I'm still learning about what features it has and clever touches. My mpg ranges between 42 and 46mpg although have seen 50.5 on a run. My 6 mile nose to tail commute to work in a morning used to be 22mpg in the FL2 - its 38mpg in the X3. The best bit of all is that the X3 is much cheaper than the FL2 Dynamic that I was considering late last year so ironically I have to thank LR for introducing me to the X3....

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Now - 2017 BMW X3 M Sport Carbon Black
Gone - 2014 BMW X3 M Sport Space Grey, faultless!
Gone - 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Bali Blue with xenons
Gone - 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Rimini Red with bodykit

Post #222086 14th Apr 2014 10:01 am
le bouch

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

Looks great inside. I still find the X3 one ugly mofo from the outside but that's subjective, of course. The MPG sounds terrific and overall it seems much better thought out than the FL2.

AWD performance is something some FL2 owners bang on about but apart from a few 'real' users it's more about a commanding urban drive and / or caravan towing.

The FL2 is a great but old car now and is of course dead in the water. I guess the real comparison would be to compare your X3 to the 2015MY Freelander (or whatever the hell it's called..)

Post #222089 14th Apr 2014 10:58 am
Badger1970

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

Very nice shilen, glad to hear that you are enjoying it. The bootspace is huge....and no annoying rear pillars in the way either. I hope that the 2015 FL replacement has been taken into account by the designers. Foraging near Gaydon....
覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
MY13 HSE Lux SD4, Baltic Blue - current, 30,000> miles without fault
MY12 HSE 2.2 SD4, Sumatra Black - gone after 10 months/43,000 fault-free miles

Post #222091 14th Apr 2014 11:21 am
pb1008

2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Lago Grey

Looks really nice and the additional boot space is what the Freelander really needs.
What spec and engine is the x3?

Post #222095 14th Apr 2014 12:12 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

very nice, definitely a touch of class compared to my old girl !!

Iain

Post #222096 14th Apr 2014 12:12 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I have to agree, the interior is in another league. Let's hope the Freelanders replacement can compete, I just don't like that fact that all the BMW X Range looks the same. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #222116 14th Apr 2014 3:12 pm
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

pb1008 wrote:
Looks really nice and the additional boot space is what the Freelander really needs.
What spec and engine is the x3?

There are only 2 specs for the X3, an SE and the m-sport. Mine is the m-sport which benefits from sports bumpers, sports seats, sports steering wheel with flappy paddles and many other things which i cannot remember. There are only a couple of engines available, a 2.0D which mine is, a 3.0D and I think the 3.5D may still be available. I really would have loved the 3.0D as it is only 3mpg worse off than the 2.0D but unfortunately it commands a 」6K premium over the 2.0D. One feature I wasn't aware of at the time of ordering is 'dynamic performance control' which I leave in comfort mode 99% of the time however when a sudden burst of power is required slide it into sport mode and the steering and suspension tighten up and the gearing changes - the thing goes like a rocket - much quicker than my SD4 did. (I suppose its like knocking the auto box into sport mode)

Post #222119 14th Apr 2014 3:23 pm
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

Very nice mate Thumbs Up

Post #222144 14th Apr 2014 7:18 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1