Home > Technical > Number of worries
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Benjsport

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Number of worries

Hi guys

I have owned my fl2 for 6 weeks now the car is perfect apart from a couple of things I have noticed this weekend after taking on a long journey!

First is what seems to be an oil leak very small but seems to be a lot of old oil inside of the front bumper under neath the car and seems a slight drip from What looks like the transmission unit at the front also oil around the sump seal by looks of things!

Secondly I seem to get a like a bump/ noise that goes with the speed of the tire but is most noticed at 50mph and not really noticed this until at higher speeds for long periods of time! The noise is as if something is attached to a part of tire and makes noise of the rotation of the wheel!

I would be grateful if anyone has any ideals what these problems could be, the car is still under the 3 month warranty so is going straight back but I have concerns about the reliability of these cars now!
I have attached a couple of photo I got hope this helps

Thanks

Post #220905 31st Mar 2014 9:16 am
MidlandRover

England 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

Can't see any photos. FL2 SD4 Metropolis Auto Santorini Black / ivory completely stock.

It's true that light travels faster than sound, some people look quite intelligent until you hear them speak.

Stop global winging.

Post #220909 31st Mar 2014 9:36 am
Benjsport

Post #220913 31st Mar 2014 10:10 am
alex_pescaru

Did you had your window(s) open a little?
If yes, the sound could be wind and resonance related.

As per oil it seems to be the rear crankshaft seal.

Post #220914 31st Mar 2014 10:41 am
Benjsport

Hi thanks for reply

No windows were shut it's as if u go over bumps at the same distance but only coming from passages side rear, and car is booked in for oil leak to be looked at just hope it isn't anything major

Post #220915 31st Mar 2014 10:45 am
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

It does sound a bit like the rear crank seal, but would that result in "a lot of old oil inside of the front bumper"? Oil in that area could perhaps be to do with the intercooler or its pipework?

IIRC there have been a couple of cases of leaks from around the sump seal too.

As for the noise, check there's nothing embedded in the tyre which could cause it.

Regarding reliability generally, the FL2 isn't perfect, but the stats show it to be relatively reliable and a lot better than many of its competitors (including those German marques you'd perhaps expect from reputation to be better!). It is a good and generally reliable car.

Do you know anything of the history of yours? E.g. do you have any old garage invoices which may show past work done, etc? Could the old oil be due to a past repair, for example? What's the mileage on the car?

Post #220918 31st Mar 2014 11:12 am
fredastaire

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Re the front bumper oil, if its 'not wet fresh', then it probably from when the oil filter has been changed. If its 'we fresh' then its probably from the front vertical intercooler pipe which attaches by hoses. A small amount of leak doesn't really matter. Check the tightness of the hose clips at the bottom elbow and the top straight pipe. Also feel by hand for any splits to these pipes. Buy a can of aerosol carb cleaner and spray on; wipe off with a rag so you can look for fresh leaks a week later.
Re the bumping noise, run your hand around the perimeter of each tyre felling for a lump or bubble in the carcas.
Please can you add your car model details to your profile so we know what year, model and auto/ manual.
Kind regards from Fred

Post #220919 31st Mar 2014 11:38 am
Benjsport

Thanks again for the replies and I have updated my profile!

To me it looks like old oil there seemed to be quite a lot on what I believe to be intercooler pipe I will get some clear photos this evening and have a good check of the tire! The car has full service history at landrover in chipperfield but know documents of work carried out it's last service there was at 60k and is now on 66k, I have contacted them to get some info on what has been done recently

Post #220922 31st Mar 2014 11:56 am
alex_pescaru

Sorry, I didn't see that you said front bumper and therefore I could mislead you to think about the crank sear...
Embarassed

Post #220932 31st Mar 2014 2:24 pm
Benjsport

Hi guys think I have found the cause of the drip oil leak see attached photo not sure what this is any you guys with advice would be much appreciated

Thanks Ben

Post #222129 14th Apr 2014 5:29 pm
freemander

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

Hi,

I could be leading you up the garden path but worth a try. I have the i6 and had a similar leak surrounding that area. At first I thought it was coming from my auto transmission however I found it was the rubber o ring coming from my vacuum pump.

As I said, could be completely wrong and don't know id the diesel has the same vacuum pump but for me a quick fix and hopefully may solve your prob.

Here's a link to my thread..

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/freelander-2/191838-vacuum-pump.html

Post #222263 16th Apr 2014 10:10 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1