« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Towing weight
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
stu658

United Kingdom 
Towing weight

hi all, I was after some information please. if I am not mistaken the max tow weight of the freelander 2 is 2000kg. does anyone one on here ever tow near that weight? I have a large heavy twin axle caravan and was thinking about downsizing to a freelander 2.

I was just wondering how it would handle generally with a lot of weight on the back.

any advice greatfully accepted.. Thumbs Up

Post #217647 22nd Feb 2014 7:28 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Stu, I just tow 1450kg single axle - tows great with no problems, but no real help to you. Oldgeezer and Npinks both have TAs, I am sure one of them will be along soon.......... Smile
Bob 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #217658 22nd Feb 2014 9:01 pm
Jonathan26

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Caspian Blue

Stu,

I tow a 1480kg loaded single axle with a 57 plate TD4 and it tows great. In fact, it copes better overall than my last LR, a 54 plate Dsco 2 TD5 auto with 65k on the clock. It used to run out of puff much quicker on any gentle incline. The auto box was nice and I regret buying the manual box on the FL2.
The FL2 only likes 6th gear at about 62 mph which, although feeling stable, isn't something I like doing.
Depending on your van weight you have everything going for you - twin axles better to control the nose weight and better stability / less likely to snake.
Enjoy. FL2 2007 57 GS
D2 2005 Td5 - gone and not missed
FL1 2005 Td4 - gone and missed

Post #217665 22nd Feb 2014 10:12 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Yeah no problem at all, tows very well. Tows like a dream with 1700-1800 kg on tow and very stable indeed.
Auto used to return 19-21 towing and manual about 26-28 Very Happy
I have to say the auto tows a treat and pulling away was effortless, manual one is harder work towing but more economical.
I take my van to the south of France or Spain each and every year and cruises a treat on the auto routes Jaguar x-type sport gone
Jaguar x-type 2.2d sport one of my best cars ever sadly gone
Freelander 2 GS auto 2008 most unreliable ever ! gladly gone
Freelander 2 GS manual 2013 only time will tell !

Post #217678 23rd Feb 2014 9:28 am
Iliacus

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey

I haven't towed yet with my current FL2 but did tow many miles around Europe with my previous GS manual. My first 'van was 1500kg SA and was no problem, even in the Alps and Pyrenees. As it was a manual I used 5th gear on autoroutes as any long incline was too much at 55 to 60mph. Usually about 23 - 25 mpg towing.

I changed to a 1640kg SA 'van last year but only towed aroung UK. I can't say I noticed any difference! I do keep stuff like awnings, BBQ and booze in the car.

We're off to Spain and France for 5 weeks in April so I'll see how it goes there (and what damage the auto does to my mpg Sad ) GONE - '07 TD4 GS manual Zermatt Silver
LONG GONE - '55 Norton Dominator 99 SS cafe racer

Post #217680 23rd Feb 2014 10:07 am
stu658

United Kingdom 

Hi guys, thanks for all the positive replies, makes good reading. My current caravan has a MIRO of 1750kg and a MTPLM of 1902kg. I am not so fussed about MPG as I have had petrol V8 Discos and Range Rovers returning 10-12 MPG when towing so 20MPG on a diesel auto FL2 will be putting me quids in!!! My major concern is my van being at the top end of the FL2's legal ability, will it still perform well with this amount of weight on the back, plus gear inside and two adults and two dogs???

There is obviously no point in getting a vehicle that won't do the job safely, even if it means I get a newer cheaper to run car.

Forgot to ask, on the auto box is there any means of going into a manual mode, so you can select a specific gear when you want it.

Post #217685 23rd Feb 2014 11:01 am
ad210358

England 

1900, right at the top end then, might not be keen to head far, Cornwall, Scotland, around Yorks ok, won't be an enjoyable Tow on long trips, might drag on a bit.

Select Command Shift, knock the selecter to the near side, puts it into Sport Mode, then just nudge the selecter forwards or backwards depending on if you want to change up or down.

Post #217686 23rd Feb 2014 11:09 am
Iliacus

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey

Hi Stu, the legal limit is up to the kerb weight of the towing vehicle or the manufacturer's towing limit whichever is the LOWER. Finding the kerbweight for the FL2 isn't easy, the handbook gives the lowest weight it can be which isn't much use.

My V5C says "Mass in service" 1967kg. The Towcar.info site gives 1890kg for TD4 auto. Caravan Club doesn't even list the FL2 Confused

I know people who tow TA 'vans with a Nissan n-Trail because the manufacturer's towing limit is 2000kg even though they are well over the kerb weight. GONE - '07 TD4 GS manual Zermatt Silver
LONG GONE - '55 Norton Dominator 99 SS cafe racer

Post #217689 23rd Feb 2014 12:13 pm
Dartman the one

England 

Towing a trailer weighing more than the towing vehicle is only a licence problem for those without B+C licence and anyone who tows with an FL2 will probably have that licence or a very light van. There is no doubt that using Command Shift help reduce fuel usage. LR's Trailer stabilisation is one of the best if not the best, and whether you like it or not as cars get lighter, electronics will come to the fore for towing heavier trailers/ vans on both the vehicle and trailer. The old statements from the clubs about % weight will become a obsolete. With regard to the GVM for the FL2, there is no official one, only that the gross axle weights are not exceeded, so really at 1900Kg you will probably be OK. most cars do not have the FL2 load capability size for size. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #217701 23rd Feb 2014 1:07 pm
ad210358

England 

His limit is 2000kg so he's under the vehicle limits, just comfort for a pleasant tow.

Post #217728 23rd Feb 2014 3:44 pm
stu658

United Kingdom 

Once again thanks for your info and valid opinions everyone. I think I will maybe have to have a rethink. Not doubting the FL2's abilities, but if it's going to push it hard it'll be no fun at all for us or the car! There is no way the boss will Change the van either.

Post #217775 23rd Feb 2014 9:27 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

I wouldn't underestimate the towing ability that comes with an FR2
I have towed 860 miles in 11.5 hrs in 40 degree temps with a twin axle van with no effort at all and the temp of engine or gearbox never went up ,

Even a 4.4 V8 disco only produces 440 NM of torque at 5500RPM ! The freelander 2.2 produces that at 1900 rpm !it's the torque figure that makes for effortless towing !
I would be inclined to try one, my only reservation would be to go for an auto as it makes much lighter work as the torque of the engine suites the gearbox on an auto model.
I used to cruise at 80mph on the autoroutes and the auto drops into top even when towing and stays there and for the long inclines it still holds its own very very well, Thumbs Up Jaguar x-type sport gone
Jaguar x-type 2.2d sport one of my best cars ever sadly gone
Freelander 2 GS auto 2008 most unreliable ever ! gladly gone
Freelander 2 GS manual 2013 only time will tell !

Post #217789 23rd Feb 2014 11:16 pm
Toolbloke

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Ipanema Sand

Might as we'll add my thoughts. I pull a twin axle lunar with a MTPLM of 1735 kg so not quite what you are looking at and was worried that this combination would not be comfortable. The truth is that I find no problems at all with the set up. I previously towed with the earlier Kia Sorento with the 2.5 litre diesel, a heavier car with a towing limit of 3 tons, so was concerned about the lower tow limit of the Freelander, but I much prefer towing with the Freelander. I remember before buying the Fl2 asking the salesman about towing. He told me that as part of there training at Landrover they used a Fl2 to tow a trailer with a Discovery on the back around one of there off road courses, with no trouble. Not quite the same, I know, but shows what the car is capable of. Hope this helps, or maybe confuse you even more!

Post #227639 21st Jun 2014 9:37 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
The Road Toad

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Narvik Black

Stu,
I tow a Lunar Clubman which has a total weight of approximately 1500kgs with an 07 manual which I find well balanced and capable of tackling any hill.
I am a great believer in the 85% rule and would never tow above this - I would prefer that the car controls the van and not the other way round.
This years major trip of 5 weeks to France took in the A75 over the Massif Central and the Millau bridge. There are some very testing long (several miles) pulls up steep hills with a lot of time in 3rd at 2200 revs but 'Betty' coped very well and was in control on the similar length downhill sections. Temperature gauge did not move and used no oil.
If you are only going to make short trips with no steep gradients then I think you could up the weight a bit but I would rather be safe than sorry. Tattoos - Why would you choose to look like the wall of a public toilet?

Post #228855 11th Jul 2014 9:05 am
SGB

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Alaska White

Hi guy's not got much experience with Freelander 2 and towing always had Disco's and until very recently a RRSport which towed Mr Ta caravan 1815kg effortlessly but needed to downsize due to job situation so went for SD4 Auto which on paper should be fit for purpose but after being away this weekend having doubts car redlining before changing up got concerns about stressing engine thoughts or advice would be welcome am I just expecting too much from the car? 200 Tdi Disco ( Gone )
300 Tdi Disco ( Gone )
Td5 Disco ( Gone )
Td5 Disco ( Gone )
RR Sport TDV6 ( SADLY GONE )
2010 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE (current )

Post #229030 13th Jul 2014 11:46 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>