Home > Technical > Strange moaning noise, should I be worried
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
freemander

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black
Strange moaning noise, should I be worried

Hi all,

Freelander 2 2007 3.2ltr 140,000klms and running perfect.

It was a slightly cooler morning after a long hot summer with dew across the windscreen, car started perfectly like usual. I cleared the screen with the wipers and drove out of the drive off to work. The front windscreen started to slightly fog up, so for the first time in a long time, I placed the air conditioning on demist and like clock work, the windscreen cleared. Upon driving a few Klms further on a straight road, I heard what I thought was a groaning noise in tune with the speed of the engine, the sound like a power steering pump running dry. My heart skipped a beat as the noise got louder every minute I drove the car, so I turned off the radio, and continued to listen. To my disappointment, the moaning was getting louder as it kept in tune with the speed of the engine, so I turned off the air conditioning and fan to identify what was happening and then.... complete silence, the moaning had vanished. I immediately thought air conditioning compressor had pooped itself but just to be sure, I turned it back on to see if the noise would return however, the silence continued throughout the duration of my journey as if nothing was amiss. When getting to work, I started and stopped the engine, turned the air conditioner on and off, vented the screen then back to auto climate control and everything continued like clockwork. I called past my mechanic and told him the story and he immediately thought compressor till I told him the noise has now disappeared. His faced dropped with confusion and was surprised to see the compressor working as it should. He told me to keep an eye on it and he will check further next service. Car has operated as it should for the rest of the day, so my question is, is this a Land Rover thing with the i6 engine, has anybody experienced anything similar and most of all, should I be worried??

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!!!

John

Post #218833 7th Mar 2014 10:54 am
Fanman

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Martinique Blue

I have a similar problem if I turn the temperature too low.
The moaning starts.
I told her to put a coat on but that didn't help. Laughing

on a serious note.

I was always told to keep using the air conditioning on a regular basis to keep the oil in the system.

Post #218836 7th Mar 2014 11:03 am
freemander

Ha Ha, that's why they come with dual climate control!!

Auto climate control (air conditioning) is always on, it been a hot summer in Sydney!!

Post #218839 7th Mar 2014 11:13 am
alex_pescaru

The compressor on gasoline cars are not ON/OFF types through an electric clutch like on diesel cars.
On gasoline cars, because the engine torque on low RPM is way lower than diesel's, the compressor is, generally, different and it's driven permanently by the engine. Instead it uses an external PWM signal to linearly regulate the compressor's output in order to not deprive you of an already low engine torque.
Near "no output" zone, they (the compressors) make that noise of groaning/moaning/whining because of the internal design...
No need to worry, if that's the case.
To confirm, when you're hearing it again, change the temperature setting to colder. Now the compressor will need to change its output and you'll see the noise stops.

Post #218840 7th Mar 2014 11:21 am
freemander

Ahhhh really!! Ive had the car for 12 mths and never heard what I did this morning, it came as quick as it went!! Hopefully, I'll never hear it again however will take your advice and run the temp lower. I usually have both sides on a about 22 degrees (73 Fahrenheit).

Thanks for your advice

John

Post #218842 7th Mar 2014 11:47 am
alex_pescaru

The suggestion wasn't to run the temperature lower permanently...
I don't want you to blame me for catching a cold... Very Happy
Just for confirmation and your peace of mind.
Even if you run it lower, when the system reaches an equilibrium, you'll be hearing it again.
Of course, if you don't listen to AC/DC in that moment... Laughing

Post #218843 7th Mar 2014 11:52 am
freemander

LOL, yep, understand for piece of mind.

At the time it started to make a noise, I slowed to a corner to turn left, transmission dropped from say third to second travelling about 30kph, then sped up to approx 60kph at which time I turned off the A/C, I wouldn't think this would be close to the "no output" zone, would it??

Post #218846 7th Mar 2014 12:39 pm
alex_pescaru

I meant "no output" zone for the compressor. Meaning when the cabin temperature reached the desired temperature/purpose and there is an temperature equilibrium between desired temperature and actual temperature and there is very little need for the compressor to compress the cooling agent and generate low temperatures.

Things happened this way:
- no compressor
- need to demist the windshield
- compressor on - high output - no noise
- demist complete - temperature inside dropping - medium compressor output - no noise
- temperature inside near target temperature - compressor low output - noise appearing
- switching off compressor - no noise
- after a while compressor on - high to medium compressor output because of 2 things:
a) inside temperature rise a little so no more temperature equilibrium
b) initial cycle of the HVAC system
- not giving enough time to reach the equilibrium again - no noise
- rest of the day for different reasons, probably, the temperature equilibrium has not been reached for a low compressor output and noise.

Post #218847 7th Mar 2014 12:57 pm
freemander

Ok, I get it now. You're maybe right as the temp this morning was cooler than on other mornings, therefore inside temp reached its equilibrium. Will keep an ear out and if it happens again as we slowly move into the cooler times, it may give it an opportunity to reoccur again. Thanks for your help alex_pescaru, greatly appreciate it Thumbs Up

Post #218849 7th Mar 2014 1:09 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1