« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Headlamp plastic cover removal
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
topaz

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Mauritius Blue
Headlamp plastic cover removal

Just got my car back from its first service and noticed that the headlamps have water in them, probably due to the garage power washing the car, wished they had not.

Had a look at the headlamps and it lookes like the headlamp plastic cover can be removed as there are a couple of catches and positioning spigot on the top . Has anyone removed this cover on a MY13 Freely.

Post #218542 4th Mar 2014 2:25 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i thought that was part of the whole light unit and it held in place by glue and catches

people have separated LR lights by baking in a low oven to help the glue lose its stickiness

I would take the lights out and then see if i could dry out any water and then place in the airing cupboard

Post #218545 4th Mar 2014 2:43 pm
fredastaire

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Hi, I note that your freely is 2013 so I guess you've had the service done by a main dealer. I would have thought that its his problem to sort not yours. If its come up on the chromed plastic then it sometimes wrecks the chrome.
If the chrome is damaged then new 2013 headlights are rather expensive to replace.
Another member tried undoing the glass from the back shell and couldn't succeed. Today's headlamp glues are immensely strong compared to say 8-10 years ago when you could separate.
If for any reason its your problem to sort then I would reccomend that you remove the headlamps, (two top 10mm bolts and lift one clip), and take the lamps indoors. You can detach the big black back bulb cover and the rubber cover. Place paper kitchen towel to take up any excess then put them on the airing cupboard overnight as Nick reccomends.
Don't think about undoing bulbs and poking paper thro the hole as that plastic chrome is exceedingly delicate.
Please let us all know how you sort it out.
Kind regards from Fred
. 2010GS Auto ex Celeb, Santorini Black, 2011 facelift , spoiler, spats, mudflaps, LED footwell lamps, Witter detach,
Other cars:-
1958 & 1959 Austin J40 Pedal Cars under restoration (I make many J40 parts)
If you have an Austin J40 or Pathfinder Pedal Car looking for a new home pls PM me.
2009 Meriva

Post #218564 4th Mar 2014 4:36 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

As already said by Fred, it is very difficult to separate the latest generation headlights. The clips that you mention are purely for holding the lenses in place after the glue is applied. This purely saves on having to clamp the units while the glue cures.

Are you talking actual water, or misting up?

Misting is a common problem. Not just for LR, but every manufacturer suffers. If you have water inside, then I would say that the cover on the back is loose or missing.

There should be no way of actual water getting in if everything is as it should be. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Last edited by Mav71 on 6th Mar 2014 11:39 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #218622 5th Mar 2014 9:33 am
topaz

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Mauritius Blue

It is more misting up with what looks like water droplets forming on the lense than actual water in the lense. This only occured after they power washed the car after its service. It has been in the sun yesterday, yes we had a lot of sun yesterday, and it has subsided a bit but not quite gone yet.

I have seen other post regarding the rear light lense misting but not the headlight lense.

Well if it cannot be taken off then there is not a lot I can do about it. If it persists i will take it back to the main dealer for his opinion/action.

Post #218623 5th Mar 2014 10:03 am
fredastaire

I concur with Mav 100% about the sealed lamp. Ive got one of my original lamps in my hand now and there are no holes through which water can get in.
May I still recommend that you detach the headlights and slide them forward until you can reach the rubber cap that is over the indicator lamp. Remove the cap and leave the car in the sun. Perhaps put the headlamps on for 5 minutes a couple of times to warm it up. You need the water to evaporate AND leave the headlamp and to do this it needs this ventilation. At say 5.0pm whilst the sun is out and the headlamp still warm refit the rubber cap and rescure the headlight; if you leave it till later when it gets cold you might be trapping moisture again.
Kind regards from Fred

Post #218643 5th Mar 2014 1:05 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Headlamp misting is normal - I think it's mentioned in the owner's handbook.

Post #218696 5th Mar 2014 8:27 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

From what I understand, if you take it in to a dealer, they will leave the lights on and if it clears within 20 minutes, this is acceptable.

If it never clears then they will look at replacing lights. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #218742 6th Mar 2014 11:41 am
Rangerider

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Santorini Black

Picking up on an old thread........

My problem is dead insects inside the front "glass"!

How did they get in and.... more importantly.... how do I get them out??

Post #322184 24th Apr 2017 11:39 am
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

That's a weird one ? I would think if you take the lamp out they will be well dried and shake out.

Post #322185 24th Apr 2017 11:47 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Add a stick insect ? Laughing Remove when hungry. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #322189 24th Apr 2017 12:35 pm
fredastaire

You don't need to get them 'out', just out of sight. Maybe use compressed air to move them, however it needs to be clean air, garage airlines often have oil inside. Humbrol does air cans for modellers airbrushes. Check that the back access covers have rubber seals, I think there is an upper vent with a white rubber check valve, make sure it's fitted.
Kind regards from Fred 2010GS Auto ex Celeb, Santorini Black, 2011 facelift , spoiler, spats, mudflaps, LED footwell lamps, Witter detach,
Other cars:-
1958 & 1959 Austin J40 Pedal Cars under restoration (I make many J40 parts)
If you have an Austin J40 or Pathfinder Pedal Car looking for a new home pls PM me.
2009 Meriva

Post #322194 24th Apr 2017 1:51 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1