« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Trip through Spain
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Ramsay12

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black
Trip through Spain

I'm planning to take the ferry to Santander and drive to the south coast of Spain this summer.
Has anyone done this trip? Any hints, tips or general advice about driving in Spain would be appreciated.

Post #218520 4th Mar 2014 9:23 am
athelstan

Carry 2 warning triangles for Spain. Exclamation

You only need one "Job's Worthy" plod to spoil your trip by slapping a large € fine on you for not doing so. Spain's finances are in ruin and the state needs cash, add to that a right wing government that dislikes the default position re Gibraltar and GB plate is a victim waiting in the wings. You'll be the "en passé". So best not to get caught out by this simple but often overlooked Spanish law.

Post #218528 4th Mar 2014 12:21 pm
Iliacus

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey

The caravan club sites give advice on European travel on what you must carry in the car, speed limits (which can vary when wet), driving lights etc..

I am off to Bilbao in April and touring with the 'van for four weeks so I will update here if I find any issues. I would hope the Spanish will welcome anyone bringing in foreign currency, not put them off with petty bureaucracy Sad GONE - '07 TD4 GS manual Zermatt Silver
LONG GONE - '55 Norton Dominator 99 SS cafe racer

Post #218531 4th Mar 2014 1:14 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

In reality its much easier to simply fly to your destination, Portugal for me in 1 month, Ill wave as I over fly your traffic jam At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #218533 4th Mar 2014 1:43 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Flying for me in a month too, then back home to a few caravan trips just to annoy CG

Post #218535 4th Mar 2014 1:51 pm
SakoQuad

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

We are doing the trip right now. Sailed last week now in Conil. Took it easy on the way down stopping in Valadollid and Merida, nice hotels booked through TripAdvisor links.

Drove at 60mph all the way using the major dual carriageways but avoiding the toll roads (not necessary). Guardia don't like speeding tourists I have been told by a friend who got turned over by them last year!

Take spare bulbs and spanner to fit headlight bulb if needed, hi viz jackets for each occupant, warning triangles you must have 1 as a tourist but 2 is better as that is what locals have to have, spare specs if you use them.

fuel stations are usually not self service and where they are you have to go in and pay first, or that is our experience so far.

Spanish seem more considerate than many Brits at home, watch out for pedestrian crossings though as they hurl themselves onto them without hesitation, you are expected to stop!
Costs at least 20% less than home.

We are here for a month, weather has been wet but is getting better all the time we are told.

Take your time, enjoy the good quality main roads and very light traffic. Hope you have a great trip. Don't forget travel sickness pills for the ferry, we didn't but others did on our crossing - nasty!

Post #218578 4th Mar 2014 6:55 pm
athelstan

SakoQuad
Ignore the rules of the road if you so wish, but there are others on this forum who may be planning their first road trip to Spain for whom I would not wish for them to be under the impression falsely that Spain has a "tourist" specific motoring law - it absolutely does not make any such distinction Exclamation

For reference re Spain and indeed any EU member state you can check the latest motoring rules and regulations regarding what you must, and what you may wish to carry in your car when touring:

http://www.euroadlegal.co.uk/country/spain.html

or the home page to select any other country:

www.EUroadlegal.co.uk

Happy and fine free motoring Thumbs Up

Martin/Moderatos - maybe that link should be made a "Sticky" Idea

Post #218584 4th Mar 2014 7:42 pm
SakoQuad

Am I missing some point in your post Athelstan? I do follow the rules of the road and nothing I have said above can't be found on plenty of sites many of which I consulted before starting my own trip. What caused you such offence anyway, a vest for every occupant, 1 triangle essential but 2, as required for Spaniards better, or the police not liking speeding tourists? The first 2 items produce differing advice on different sites and the last item is pretty well accepted I would have thought.

I would hope the OP would do research beyond freel2 and your links will no doubt be helpful. My items were never meant to be a definitive list just the stuff that sprang to mind and memory. Apologies if less than perfect

Post #218606 4th Mar 2014 11:12 pm
choccymonster

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

From the AA website (the RAC say the same thing)

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/touri...ipment.pdf

One triangle for non-Spanish registered vehicles, and two for Spanish registered vehicles.

Although, two is recommended (but not compulsory) for visiting cars as you might still get a fine from a jobsworth in the Guardia Civil....

Post #218609 5th Mar 2014 12:18 am
ad210358

England 

I have read, that if your towing they like you to possess two, should you breakdown and have to detach the trailer, you need one for the trailer and the other one for if your luck is completely out, one for the vehicle should it break down also.

Post #218610 5th Mar 2014 1:04 am
athelstan

I apologies for raising the subject of red warning triangles. Clearly very inappropriate of me, for indeed you may take what you want and as many as you want, even red hankies instead. And obviously it is not my place to advise the prescribed distances for and aft of the vehicle they must be placed in the event of a breakdown.

However, I will not be the unfortunate one who will be hanging around at the side of the road for ages discussing with Job's Worthy what a tourist may or may not have in or on their vehicle. And I'll not waste €€'s on motoring related fines; but spend them on beers instead.

Post #218613 5th Mar 2014 7:46 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Personally I think you raised a valid point and you've done what you can to advise

Up to them if they wish to heed your warning Thumbs Up

Post #218614 5th Mar 2014 7:57 am
SakoQuad

If only he had warned folk clearly that in his view/ experience 2 red triangles were needed (and why) instead of criticising my post. THAT would have been helpful to OP and maybe others. In fact there is no mention of the words red or triangle in the initial post so apology for raising the subject not needed either.

To OP, take 2 as Athelstan says (and I suggest), why risk it for a few quid, though my mate who got fined for speeding and only having 1 reflective jacket, buried in the boot, did NOT get one for only 1 triangle. Happy holiday.

Post #218697 5th Mar 2014 8:41 pm
Ramsay12

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black
Trip through Spain

Thanks to all for their hints and tips. I note from the ferry website that the car alarm should be switched off so the motion sensors are not activated.
Is this necessary for the Fl2 and is there an easy way to do it?

Post #223295 28th Apr 2014 12:16 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

you can press the lock button once on the fob, this will not set the alarms internal sensors, not sure about the tilt sensor though

Post #223297 28th Apr 2014 12:38 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>