« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Aftermarket Navigation Audio installation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Gecko

Vatican 
Aftermarket Navigation Audio installation

Ok it's done.... but as reported earlier the instalation of this system has disabled the parking sensors which run through the OEM 'infotainment' headunit.

Pictures here: https://www.freel2.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10793

Also I uploaded the instalation instructions to show how to get into the dashboard and install an aftermarket headunit as well as some of the wiring diagrams for the front and rear parking sensors and the OEM headunit connections. No ill effects at all - very happy with the result and despite some rumours that the car won't start if you change the radio - I assure you it's all fine Very Happy

Post #18204 18th Apr 2008 11:08 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey
Re: Aftermarket Navigation Audio installation

Gecko wrote:
Ok it's done.... but as reported earlier the instalation of this system has disabled the parking sensors which run through the OEM 'infotainment' headunit.

Pictures here: https://www.freel2.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10793

Also I uploaded the instalation instructions to show how to get into the dashboard and install an aftermarket headunit as well as some of the wiring diagrams for the front and rear parking sensors and the OEM headunit connections. No ill effects at all - very happy with the result and despite some rumours that the car won't start if you change the radio - I assure you it's all fine Very Happy

Crikes - without being rude, where do you stick the CD's Neutral 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #18209 18th Apr 2008 11:32 am
Gecko

Vatican 

AndyC wrote:
Crikes - without being rude, where do you stick the CD's Neutral

Aha ....that's a very good question. This unit has a hidden CD player which is revealed at the touch of a button. The screen is motorised and slides down and forward to reveal a CD player behind but...... the unit has a 30GB hard disk in it so I never have any CD's in the car these days. When you insert a CD for the first time this clever little unit recognizes it hasn't been recorded and records it directly onto the hard disk (at 4x playback speed) and stores the CD title and details of each track so you can search by artist , album, track title or genre and it plays back for you. It's also got voice activation so you can also choose a CD from the hard disk by speaking the artist or album name. You can also watch DVD movies on it too if you were inclined to do so.
Next thing to do is get the reversing camera fitted so I can see what I am going to reverse into Very Happy

Post #18211 18th Apr 2008 12:31 pm
LEE

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

Looks Cool it's the best aftermarket solution I have seen yet. Thumbs Up
I'll be interested to see what you do with the reversing camera, I would like to link one into my sat nav screen too. The future's bright, the future's........Tambora Flame!!! Thumbs Up

Post #18212 18th Apr 2008 12:40 pm
AndyC

Gecko wrote:
AndyC wrote:
Crikes - without being rude, where do you stick the CD's Neutral

Aha ....that's a very good question. This unit has a hidden CD player which is revealed at the touch of a button. The screen is motorised and slides down and forward to reveal a CD player behind but...... the unit has a 30GB hard disk in it so I never have any CD's in the car these days. When you insert a CD for the first time this clever little unit recognizes it hasn't been recorded and records it directly onto the hard disk (at 4x playback speed) and stores the CD title and details of each track so you can search by artist , album, track title or genre and it plays back for you. It's also got voice activation so you can also choose a CD from the hard disk by speaking the artist or album name. You can also watch DVD movies on it too if you were inclined to do so.
Next thing to do is get the reversing camera fitted so I can see what I am going to reverse into Very Happy

Sounds great Thumbs Up just wish the LR SAT NAV original had those functions Whistle

Tata please note
- this is what we want for next years model instead of silly extra painted bits, clear indicators, 19" wheels and new names for old colours Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #18213 18th Apr 2008 12:41 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

looks ok Whistle

It would look great if it wasn't for the greasey finger prints Rolling with laughter

Can you get a aftermarket front and rear parking sensor kit and utilitise the already fitted sensors Question Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #18219 18th Apr 2008 1:36 pm
Gecko

Vatican 

npinks wrote:
looks ok Whistle

It would look great if it wasn't for the greasey finger prints Rolling with laughter

Can you get a aftermarket front and rear parking sensor kit and utilitise the already fitted sensors Question

yeah well what do you expect - I had just finished eating my croissants Laughing

I looked at the aftermarket sensors but the OEM ones are there and they are bigger than the aftermarket ones so it would mean drilling extra ones into the bumpers..... and I don't think it would look very good so for now I'm aiming for the camera. A boy can never have enough gadgets on board Smile

Post #18220 18th Apr 2008 1:58 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

could you not splice into the existing sensors wires and used them for the aftermarket unit? Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #18226 18th Apr 2008 3:39 pm
joe1978

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

Now you're talking, very very nice install!!!!

And if pioneer have made a FL2 radio faceplate I guess it means we can expect lots of nice electrical gadgetry in the future??

Dare I ask ow much??? Embarassed

joe MY11 Fuji white Td4 150 GS straight up no mixer.

Post #18228 18th Apr 2008 3:48 pm
AndyC

The only question is how easy is it to see the screen (as it is much lower than the original) when in driving Question 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.

Post #18233 18th Apr 2008 5:41 pm
Helmar99

N/A

Last edited by Helmar99 on 3rd Dec 2022 10:12 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #18256 18th Apr 2008 9:32 pm
Gecko

Vatican 

AndyC wrote:
The only question is how easy is it to see the screen (as it is much lower than the original) when in driving Question

I guess this is down to what you may be used to. I ride a motorcycle too and have a GPS mounted high in my line of sight but in the car the GPS talks to me so I only very occasionally glance at it. I had it in a similar position in my Merc before so I guess I'm ok with it where it is. I agree though that the position of the OEM one is very good .

Post #18541 23rd Apr 2008 12:22 pm
Gecko

Vatican 

joe1978 wrote:
Now you're talking, very very nice install!!!!

And if pioneer have made a FL2 radio faceplate I guess it means we can expect lots of nice electrical gadgetry in the future??

Dare I ask ow much??? Embarassed

joe

By faceplate, do you mean the mounting kit to slot it into the dashboard....? It was a standard part number which didn't cost much at all. the whole nav unit sells for about £1500 in the Uk (I think) but it's regarded as one of the best around and with the Hard disk navigation for all of Europe, speedcameras database , music library, Bluetooth, voice activation etc it's all I ever need plus it's cheaper everywhere than the UK Laughing

Last edited by Gecko on 23rd Apr 2008 12:32 pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #18542 23rd Apr 2008 12:28 pm
Gecko

Vatican 

npinks wrote:
could you not splice into the existing sensors wires and used them for the aftermarket unit?

We looked into that but there is something inside the LR audio system that communicates somehow with the Canbus. I dare say someone could do it but it would be a bit of trial and error so I'm still trying to solve that problem without chopping into the Canbus and risking my warranty.

Post #18543 23rd Apr 2008 12:30 pm
Gecko

Vatican 

johnaddisonuk wrote:
Amazing work Gecko, thanks for all of your help Smile

Haven't managed to take those extra wiring pictures yet - I was out and about all weekend so will try and get them asap. Glad it's helpful to you though.

Post #18545 23rd Apr 2008 12:31 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>