Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Drivers seat base removal..
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Luckygrizzly

Australia 
Drivers seat base removal..

Hi all, I'm looking for tips on removing the drivers seat base and replacing the foam insert ( purchased from sponsor Duckworths of course ) ... Whole seat out, or can I avoid the electrics / airbag issues? 2008 TD4 ripe for mods

Post #216207 8th Feb 2014 1:19 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

I knew I'd seen it on here somewhere.
http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic14102.htm...p;start=60
Thumbs Up Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #216214 8th Feb 2014 7:35 am
fredastaire

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Whilst I can't add info on the nuts and bolts aspect I would advise that you start by undoing the battery and waiting say 10 minutes before starting.
This is to allow the airbag electronics to loose all charge.
I would guess that there is a pressure sensor in the seat foam that tells the airbag system that the seat is occupied and that you WILL have to disconnect it. there is certainly a detector for bodyweight to sound the alarm if you havnt clipped the seatbelt on
Ive had a look at the Freelander Airbag wiring diagrams and there is some form of seat occupancy detector mentioned and a 'mat belt minder' but its not clear to me what may or may not be fitted to a UK spec car. It may be that the pressure detector tells you to use the seatbelt and thus the 'fastened seat belt' is the bit that arms the airbag circuit.
I made the mistake some years ago in changing a car door without disconnecting the battery, I then needed to have a guy to reset the airbag circuit because I had unknowingly disconnected the door side impact pressure sensor of the airbag circuit.
Hope this helps.
Kind regards from Fred 2010GS Auto ex Celeb, Santorini Black, 2011 facelift , spoiler, spats, mudflaps, LED footwell lamps, Witter detach,
Other cars:-
1958 & 1959 Austin J40 Pedal Cars under restoration (I make many J40 parts)
If you have an Austin J40 or Pathfinder Pedal Car looking for a new home pls PM me.
2009 Meriva

Last edited by fredastaire on 8th Feb 2014 4:29 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #216230 8th Feb 2014 11:07 am
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

The seat squab can be removed without taking the whole seat out - as per Mav71's write-up. There are two 10mm bolts under the front edge holding the seat to the frame. If yours is an HSE you will need to remove the front finisher first. There is only one electrical connection on the driver seat squab, a green plug for the seat heater. No airbag issues. There are other cables that will need to be unclipped though. Once out, the squab can be turned upside down to remove the cover. Start at the front by unclipping the plastic tangs that engage with the seat pan. Finish by removing the black u-section strip from the seat pan at the rear. The seat cover is held and shaped to the foam by metal 'O' rings which will need to be opened up with pliers to release. (When refitting use plastic cable ties - much easier). The seat heater can be removed without damage from the old foam if you are careful. I used a Palette knife to press down on the foam rather than pull the heater mat up. Use Copydex or similar to glue the heater mat to the new foam. Re-assembly and refitting is a reverse of removal "as they say". Good luck!
Bob 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Last edited by dunkley201 on 8th Feb 2014 7:11 pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #216241 8th Feb 2014 2:46 pm
fredastaire

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black
Front seat squab removal

Well written Bob, your script is nice and definitive for other forum members reading in the future.
Kind regards from Fred

Post #216244 8th Feb 2014 3:38 pm
dunkley201

Thank you Fred. I dashed that off quickly before going out. Thinking of it was like I did the job last week..... Come to think of it, so I did! Wink I also sewed in a new faux leather side panel, but that is another story....

Post #216266 8th Feb 2014 7:07 pm
Luckygrizzly

Australia 

That's why I love this forum!!! Thanks for all the advice, will attack the seat squab as soon as the weather drops below 40 degrees..... No need for seat heaters in OZ! Razz 2008 TD4 ripe for mods

Post #216270 8th Feb 2014 7:50 pm
dunkley201

Lucky! Here in UK we do NOT want to know about 40 degrees etc! You really know how to pi** a guy off! Big Cry 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

Post #216292 8th Feb 2014 11:00 pm
Luckygrizzly

Australia 

A toss of the coin.... driving rain and some flooding or 40 degree heat and bush fires ... Who said the weather is changing??? grin 2008 TD4 ripe for mods

Post #216303 9th Feb 2014 2:51 am
v40mav

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Tambora Flame

Guys - I need to remove the drivers seat for a small mod - and whilst I have seen the posts that point to the bolts etc - are the plastic covers held on in a special way?

They seem well secured and i do not want to pull / tug for fear of breaking these - Any hints on removing these - Pics welcome

Hugh Disco 3 HSE

Defender Puma 110

Freelander 2 HSE

Post #216687 12th Feb 2014 8:03 pm
dunkley201

v40mav - I have just looked at the HSE and SE I have parked up outside. Where the SE has just "space" between the inner and outer rails, the HSE has a steel plate on to which the finisher panel is attached. Slide the seat well forward, and underneath you will see 2 x philips screw heads each side, head down, at a 45 degree angle. It looks like these secure the plate and finisher. They will also secure some electrical items, but this will become more clear when you remove them. Hope this helps.... Let us know how you get on!

Post #216790 13th Feb 2014 2:08 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

fredastaire wrote:
Whilst I can't add info on the nuts and bolts aspect I would advise that you start by undoing the battery and waiting say 10 minutes before starting.
This is to allow the airbag electronics to loose all charge.
I would guess that there is a pressure sensor in the seat foam that tells the airbag system that the seat is occupied and that you WILL have to disconnect it. there is certainly a detector for bodyweight to sound the alarm if you havnt clipped the seatbelt on
Ive had a look at the Freelander Airbag wiring diagrams and there is some form of seat occupancy detector mentioned and a 'mat belt minder' but its not clear to me what may or may not be fitted to a UK spec car. It may be that the pressure detector tells you to use the seatbelt and thus the 'fastened seat belt' is the bit that arms the airbag circuit.
I made the mistake some years ago in changing a car door without disconnecting the battery, I then needed to have a guy to reset the airbag circuit because I had unknowingly disconnected the door side impact pressure sensor of the airbag circuit.
Hope this helps.
Kind regards from Fred

You are really over complicating things Fred. The seat base as already done by myself can be removed without going anywhere near the airbag, which is in the seat back.

You don't have to even remove the seat, as mentioned by Bob above. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #216806 13th Feb 2014 7:13 pm
v40mav

dunkley201 wrote:
v40mav - I have just looked at the HSE and SE I have parked up outside. Where the SE has just "space" between the inner and outer rails, the HSE has a steel plate on to which the finisher panel is attached. Slide the seat well forward, and underneath you will see 2 x philips screw heads each side, head down, at a 45 degree angle. It looks like these secure the plate and finisher. They will also secure some electrical items, but this will become more clear when you remove them. Hope this helps.... Let us know how you get on!
Bob

Thanks. It's the plastic covers that go over the front runner/bolt

Will try to get pic to show what bit I mean Disco 3 HSE

Defender Puma 110

Freelander 2 HSE

Post #216809 13th Feb 2014 7:30 pm
dunkley201

What I called the "finisher" is what you call the "plastic cover". You don't need to go anywhere near the front runner/bolt. That stays fitted. The bolts to remove the seat base are under the seat front lip and go "up" into the seat base. You can get at these once the front plastic cover/finisher is removed as above.

Post #216813 13th Feb 2014 8:02 pm
v40mav

Bob thanks for the reply. I perhaps didn't explain it right at the start. It is this bit and the runner bolt that needs to come out temporally to get.

I'm not sure how to get access o the runnrt bolt. The cover/ finisher is in way and I do not want to force removing it is there is an easy way to do so.

Thanks again for all your guidance. Disco 3 HSE

Defender Puma 110

Freelander 2 HSE

Post #216844 13th Feb 2014 11:00 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>