Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
boiledgnat

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey
Folding roofbox

Has anyone got one of these?...

http://www.thule.com/Thule/ProductPage____...anguage=EN

I'm tempted from the storage angle, but not sure due to the obvious security issues. Any feedback from anyone with one already would be welcome.

Post #18146 17th Apr 2008 1:03 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I was looking these when i got my roofrack

They do look ok as they can be stored ok, but i was worried about the security as well and the watertightness

If your away and say have to do a stop over in a motel overnight, i thought it would be too easy to open with a stanly knife. Also if the zip is 100% water tight.

Any how much will it flap about if half full Question Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #18147 17th Apr 2008 1:16 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Have used a similar device quite extensively with a great deal of success, but NP is right to point out security limitations.

The one I used was not Thule but proved to be fine in terms of weather protection, I would assume that you could rely on the Thule for more than adequate performance in this regard.

When 'not full' additional bungee type cords will stop the flapping no problem, ability to fold for storage can be a huge advantage.

The clear down side is the security issue if you want to leave the vehicle, especially overnight. It was never an issue for me because it was always used on journeys that were completed in a day and where en route stops were in places that were OK (actually while we lived in the USA, some parts are OK!). But overnight stops would be a cause for concern, although one possible way around the problem would be to remove the 'roofbag' and store it in the car overnight. I've seen that done quite easily when the vehicle in question was a large American mini-van (people carrier to you and me) Its a bit of a fag but can be done. Not sure if there would be enough room in rear of our FL2's though.

Have just looked at the Thule image again which reminds me of another point. I used the device sat on the roof and secured to (and between) roof rails, the bottom of the device was covered in a velour type material so as to be none damamging to the paint work. It worked well.

Post #18155 17th Apr 2008 3:18 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1