« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Roading & Green Laning > Rivington pike, Lancashire
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
D8WYR

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Barolo Black
Rivington pike, Lancashire

Hi has Any one been up Rivington in there freelander, fancying giving it ago but would like to tag along with somebody who has been up there before if possible. Going up tomorrow to see if there are any other 4x4's in car park going up to see if I can tag along as a newbie.

Post #212873 4th Jan 2014 7:31 pm
ccsnet

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Looks interesting - is it allowed though ?

T Terran

'The' Car For The Modern Day UK Roads ( ie all the pot holes )

'A Freelander that leaks oil is just marking its territory' - Wise words

Now a member of the FL2 'Silly Bill' Club

Post #212969 5th Jan 2014 2:28 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

I don't know it, but a search on YouTube returns a few videos of Rivington being driven. Looks to me as though there may be issues with ground clearance, particularly with the side steps you appear to have fitted. Do let us know how you get on.

Post #212974 5th Jan 2014 3:13 pm
D8WYR

Hi
I removed the side steps yesterday when I finished work it only took about 50 minutes to whiz them off. Had a drive up there today, there are 2 approaches the one's on YouTube where very deep and rocky so I give that a miss until another day maybe, but shot round the other side and went up that way a lot more accessible but didn't really test the car to much but was still fun.

It got a bit more interesting further up, and was very Colby for a bit.

Fantastic views from top but was in the clouds it cleared up a bit on way down you can see for miles and miles,

Post #212987 5th Jan 2014 5:10 pm
zokes

Australia 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Zermatt Silver

Not being funny, but by Dad's driven up the George's lane way in his Citroen Picasso!

I live in Oz now, but have done much worse here in our Freelander than the track at the Pigeon Tower end (unless it's eroded a lot in the last two years). The top might be a bit interesting, but with skill and in the dry it shouldn't be too much bother.

Post #213195 7th Jan 2014 11:44 am
D8WYR

Hi Zokes

Funny enough I saw one half way up there when I was there, there are a few deeper ruts at the top that the Picasso would of got stuck in but that was just a starter for me as there's not much in the way of laning around here, I will be heading off to the the lakes and down to my brothers in Reading where there is a lot of off roading place to go around like the Salisbury plane's.

Only starting off slow and will work my up againing experience and learning the car as I go.

Post #213222 7th Jan 2014 4:15 pm
zokes

Australia 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Zermatt Silver

Best bet if you fancy a run up/down the steeper track would probably be to walk it first if you're nervous about meeting an obstacle halfway. I admit the track conditions are pretty changeable, having spent most of my formative years trying to avoid skittling dog walkers whilst flying down there on my mountain bike (undoubtedly a quicker way of getting down than in a freelander)!

The only bits that spring to mind as being difficult would be at the top - the rock chute, and then a big slab of tarmac with a step of about a foot which is just a bit further on before the first right hand. It might be wide enough there to drive round that though.

In my experience of pushing my own freelander's limits on similar tracks here in oz, it generally got down things better than it got up them. I don't think you'd have any issues using mud&ruts and HDC to get down, just leave it in first and watch your wheel placement. Up might be a bit trickier as with no low range you have to go a bit faster than ideal. But, you can always stop to assess obstacles, and there are plenty of rocks about to build up beneath bigger ruts or steps. Obviously wait for it to be dry first - that way if it starts to go pear-shaped you've much less chance of slipping and sliding until you meet something solid!

Post #213313 8th Jan 2014 10:03 am
D8WYR

Hi Zokes

Thanks for the feed back, I appreciate your time responding. Just had a look at your www some amazing pics on there, all that open space to explore must be fantastic.

When I get out on the plains or the lakes I will post some pics. If I eventually manage to get up Rivington I will let you know.

Take care for now.

Dave B

Post #213370 8th Jan 2014 8:20 pm
DrRpb

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

Are you 100% sure it is a legal right of way i.e. a BOAT or a UCR with currently no TRO on it?
If not then you are asking for trouble with the law. It happens so make sure Thumbs Up
Check with council Rights of Way dept and enjoy if all is legal Very Happy
Same goes for Salisbury Plain but your car will be impounded by the MOD police if you are not on the legal right of way. It can be very unclear which track is the legal right of way as many criss cross tracks up there Neutral Make sure you go with someone who knows the Plain and its access management Thumbs Up * GONE. GS TD4 Manual MY2013. Orkney Grey with privacy, cold and clearview packs, armrests (a must!) and a spoiler.
* 2011 4.4 TDV8 Full Fat. Amazing piece of kit.
* GONE.2012 RR Sport HSE SDV6 Orkney Grey. Rocket ship. 33mpg.
* Range Rover Classic '93 200Tdi Factory fit
* 1949 80" in family since 1975 Smile

Post #213387 8th Jan 2014 10:55 pm
D8WYR

From what I have read on LRO.com site link below it's ok as long as you don't go of piste and on the maps it looks like it's ok, next time I'm over that way I will talk to the other 4x4 drivers to make sure, or see what they say anyway.

Showing public access, I will look into it more anyway.

if there are any other local to me (Wigan, Lancashire) green laners on this forum it would be good to hook up with someone with more knowledge than I have to learn from them if posible.

Thanks

http://forum.lro.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=67217

Post #213432 9th Jan 2014 6:29 pm
DrRpb

Yep that looks like a UCR (red dotted white lane or green dotted ones on higher scale maps) so should be legal so long as no TRO (temporary or permanent) on it. TROs are usually posted each end of a lane on a notice. A TRO is a traffic regulation border use to shut lanes for various reasons. Lots are shutting due to tw*ts going off piste and ruining things for all us law abiders! Best advice after 25 years of laning is to join a local Land Rover club who organise regular green lane trips.
Don't drive on a bridleway ever. You will end up in court. On your map there is a bridleway around the east side of the tower.
Enjoy! * GONE. GS TD4 Manual MY2013. Orkney Grey with privacy, cold and clearview packs, armrests (a must!) and a spoiler.

Post #213438 9th Jan 2014 8:15 pm
D8WYR

Hi DrRpd

I only want to do legal stuff I've only had my freelander for nearly 6/7 weeks and don't want to loose it, as you can probably tell I am looking it all up, studying and trying to understand it all. Don't know if there are any groups local to me as I have had a little google etc but not come across any yet.

I have along way to go yet learning and getting my freelander prepared there are lots of stuff I need yet.

Thanks for your feedback it's Much appreciate.

Regards

Dave

Post #213449 9th Jan 2014 9:51 pm
DrRpb

You're welcome!
Enjoy:
http://forum.lro.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48650
Rivington lane: http://forum.lro.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=67217
Rob * GONE. GS TD4 Manual MY2013. Orkney Grey with privacy, cold and clearview packs, armrests (a must!) and a spoiler.

Post #213453 9th Jan 2014 10:15 pm
jlcrompton

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

just be careful at the very top. on your map where it say's tower there is a red dot on the top left of the 'T'. there was a 2 foot drop there about 9 month back and i almost got my freelander 1 stuck there.
i Censored myself as my front left wheel was just hanging there bottomed out. lucky for me i was over to the right next to the banking and rocked my way free.
Lesson is to walk it first.
the reason i just went for it was i just saw a 110 coming down next the the bottom car park.

Post #213739 14th Jan 2014 12:06 am
DrRpb

Never go laning with just one vehicle. Asking for trouble Whistle
See here for guidelines:
http://www.glass-uk.org/index.php?option=c...Itemid=129 Thumbs Up
PS anybody who goes laning should join GLASS who fight tooth and nail to keep our hobby open! * GONE. GS TD4 Manual MY2013. Orkney Grey with privacy, cold and clearview packs, armrests (a must!) and a spoiler.

Post #213782 14th Jan 2014 3:30 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>