Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > For Sale & Wanted > [For Sale] MY2013 RH Halogen Head Lights with DRL and Signat
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
wytonpjs

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Rimini Red
[For Sale] MY2013 RH Halogen Head Lights with DRL and Signat

Hi, thank you for looking.

For sale, a pair of RH-drive MY2013 Freelander 2 Halogen head lights with DRL and signature strips - £250.

Click image to enlarge

I have progressively upgraded the headlights on my MY2011 Freelander from the originals to the very latest standard so that I could have the factory standard DRLs - if you have a look here, you can see the journey: https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic16893.html

The left hand headlight has the outermost lens clip broken (these are factory take-offs) but as the headlights are totally sealed, this is purely cosmetic and it cannot be seen when the bonnet is closed.
Click image to enlarge

I have also upgraded the supplied LR halogen bulbs to Osram Nightbreaker bulbs so the light output is pretty dam good - not as good as the Xenon's but less hassle and cost.

These headlights will fit any post MY2013 without modification and if you have the basic unit with just the round DRL, these will give you full signature strip functionality. If you have a pre-MY2013 Freelander like me, you will need to add some external components and to change the wiring. You can cut and change your looms if you wish but I preferred to make up some adaptors as shown in the URL above. This way, the "mod" is totally reversible and should not invalidate any warranties.

To make the adaptors, you will need some additional components and be able to do some basic auto-electrical work including soldering. I'm very happy to provide advice and if you are local and you want to collect, I'll take you step my step through my installation. It is not really too difficult, just a little time-consuming but once done, you like me will have a smile on your face every time you use them Surprised

Postage cost is high (£20) as these will come in a very large box with plenty of packaging to minimise the chance of any damage in transit.

Any questions, please ask.

Items can be collected from just behind the UWE off the A4174 ring road about 1 mile from J3 of the M32.

Happy New Year!

Last edited by wytonpjs on 11th Aug 2014 12:47 am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #212275 29th Dec 2013 12:58 pm
wytonpjs

What if loom adapters were included?

If I were to make up a set of adapters to go with these headlights would there be any interest? They would not be cheap as the plugs are expensive and it requires quite a bit of time - I'm thinking of £400 but will do a detailed costing if there is interest.

Post #214382 21st Jan 2014 8:15 am
athelstan

PM Sent Wink

Post #215295 30th Jan 2014 11:01 am
Terrible1

England 2011 Freelander 2 eD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Did you sell the lights? I'd be interested if they were wired and ready to fit.

Post #216481 10th Feb 2014 9:46 pm
wytonpjs

Latest Update

Hi to anyone interested in these lights

Apologies but work has been extremely busy and I have been overseas adding to the backlog of things I have to do to catch up.

The lights are still available but I have decided to build a set of adapters with all the items required to make them work into a kit which I will also offer to install here in Bristol if the buyer wants. It will take me a week or so to get all the items in and to make up the looms but watch out. There will only be one set of these so it will be first come, first served.

In the meantime, I'm pulling these lights from sale pending finishing off the looms.

Peter

Post #216485 10th Feb 2014 9:56 pm
zuegma

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

hi,
I would be interested in these lamps if they would fit a 2009 td4 hse. I can get to Bristol quite easy as well. let me know if they are available as and when.

Lee

Post #217771 23rd Feb 2014 8:32 pm
23Skidoo

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Buckingham Blue

Hi Peter

What's the latest on the lights as I would be interested in them whether or not you decide to make up the adapters

Cheers

Andy

Post #217782 23rd Feb 2014 10:12 pm
wytonpjs

SITREP

Apologies, but I hit a fundamental flaw in that the firm (Genlabs) I used for the controllers (now 2 per installation) apparently stopped trading at Christmas. I located another that would do the functionality but that one (at the DISCO3 sponsor's shop) is currently out of stock. So presently I'm searching for a suitable controller (not cheap Chinese rubbish). I have started work on the adapters and as soon as I have got a complete solution, I'll open up the listing again.

Thanks for the interest,

Peter

Post #217790 23rd Feb 2014 11:53 pm
RobGColl

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Santorini Black

Hi,

I'm in the process of updating my headlights and have found your posts very useful. I've got all the relavent plugs and sockets to make your adapter looms but can you give me some sort of an idea of what type/guage, colours and amount of wire i will require to make up these two looms.

Thanks

Rob MY11 Freelander 2 TD4 S, Santorini Black, Almond Cloth, Full MY 2013 facelift, Factory Privacy Glass, Clear View Pack, Folding Mirrors, Rear Parking Sensors, LR 19" DogLeg Alloys, and lots of other stuff!

Post #217795 24th Feb 2014 12:24 am
ajc80

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Santorini Black

Hi Peter - looks like the lights and fitting could be in demand, but just bought MY11 and these would look great. I hope they're still available. Thanks, Adrian.

Post #217854 24th Feb 2014 3:59 pm
wytonpjs

Wire Quantities, etc

Hi Rob

I have lots of various types of wire readily to hand (sorry I'm just that kind of guy) so when I made mine up, I just made it to suit my installation. As you can see from the photos, the adapters need to be long enough to practically work on but not too long that they are difficult to fit in behind the lights. Mine are about 6" long - I would not personally make them any longer. As to the wire's gauge, you need to assess the current and use appropriately sized cable. Remember that the earth with see more so need to be sized accordingly. For the majority of the discrete cables, I used 5 Amp cable but for the principle earth and dipped/main beam cables, I used 10 Amp. The latter was just about on the limit of practical workability and was a "sod" to fit the plug seals to!

As to colour, its sensible to use standard colours like brown or black for earth and reds, blue for power. Within the adapters, I was mostly working pin-to-pin so colour is not so important and its not visible afterwards. As an aside, on my new MY2012 tail lights all of the cables are black!

Good luck.

Peter

Post #217868 24th Feb 2014 6:36 pm
RobGColl

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Santorini Black

Thanks Peter,

I'll let you know how I get on.

Rob MY11 Freelander 2 TD4 S, Santorini Black, Almond Cloth, Full MY 2013 facelift, Factory Privacy Glass, Clear View Pack, Folding Mirrors, Rear Parking Sensors, LR 19" DogLeg Alloys, and lots of other stuff!

Post #217969 25th Feb 2014 7:53 pm
Robthebubble

Re: SITREP

wytonpjs wrote:
Apologies, but I hit a fundamental flaw in that the firm (Genlabs) I used for the controllers (now 2 per installation) apparently stopped trading at Christmas. I located another that would do the functionality but that one (at the DISCO3 sponsor's shop) is currently out of stock. So presently I'm searching for a suitable controller (not cheap Chinese rubbish). I have started work on the adapters and as soon as I have got a complete solution, I'll open up the listing again.

Thanks for the interest,

Peter

Hi Peter

Sorry to jump on this thread (and this is my first post as a newbie!) but I'm trying to find out about the Genlabs DRL module you used, the one in the plastic ABS box. As they are now unavailable I was thinking of making one myself, are you able to take some photos of the inside and send them to me?

Many thanks

Rob

Post #222612 20th Apr 2014 11:33 pm
wytonpjs

Hi Rob,

Sorry, but the Genlabs units are potted so I'm unable to tell you what's inside. I've still not found and equivalent but I've decided to do it the old fashioned way with a relay so I'm currently putting a set together. Watch this space!

Peter

Post #222613 20th Apr 2014 11:59 pm
wytonpjs

The DRL/LED Headlights and Adapters are now up for Sale

Well

I apologise for the lengthy delay but I figured out a way to make the lights work without the GenLabs units, made up the looms and adapters and they are now up for sale on that well known auction site. They are expensive but the plugs, sockets and circuit (imported from the US) are not cheap. This is a one-off as I cannot spare the time to do this again so get it whilst you can if you are interested. I would prefer to fit it personally in Bristol and if I do, I will warrant all of the kit for a year. If I post, I'll only guarantee the lights. See the full listing for details.

PM me if you need any further details.

Thanks

Peter

[/img]

Post #231347 11th Aug 2014 12:44 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>