Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Spotted > A large scratch on both the front wing & passenger door
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Stevea

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

Not too bad… food was pretty reasonable, but drinks in most bars / clubs were not far off UK prices… Pacha was a complete rip off… However if you didn’t fancy the local food you could always get a large pizza, garlic bread and drinks for 2 from good old pizza hut for about £4.50… Rolling with laughter Also Hard Rock Café was dirt cheap compared to UK / US.. Thumbs Up
Great O’liday… just bl**dy hot!

Post #17657 10th Apr 2008 9:52 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

HOT now thats a understatement Thumbs Up

i remember the Hard Rock well, T-Bone Steak only £6.50 (obviously could have been a camels T-bone)

Get place for scuba diving (i'm told) and the snorkling was great too, Saw my first Leatherback turtle there, it was the size of my cars bonnet.

And the wife kept seeing "Nemo", it the only fish she knows by name Laughing Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #17660 10th Apr 2008 9:59 pm
Nick Jan

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
sorry

Sorry to hear about this Nick. I do know how you feel as the same thing happened to my son's RAV4, just a week after he'd shelled out his hard earned cash for it. Evil or Very Mad

Be prepared for a shock with the paint quote. On the RAV4 keying damage we were told by 3 different paint shops that they would have to strip and respray all the N/S panels, for around £1000! Shocked It's something to do with the clear varnish paint finishes now used, and that you can't blend paint in the way they used to.

Are you ok on insurance for this damage? Vandalism or random damage seems to be excluded from some comprehensive insurance policies; hopefully not yours though
Rolling Eyes Life is not a dress rehearsal!

Post #17738 12th Apr 2008 12:24 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Been quoted

£160 (Mobile chap who will take the car to a lock up)
£340 +VAT (Same job, but in a spray booth by a another company)
£500 + VAT (LR Dealers Body Shop)

I have i £300 excess i think, so won't be claiming Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #17753 12th Apr 2008 9:46 am
ChrisC

United Kingdom 

Sad

Good painters are not measured by the money they charge, and don't grow on trees, I have been using a friend for years, and no longer worry about having paint damaged, just the inconvenience it causes. He works by reputation alone, and the Astons Fezzers and historic F1 cars he has in can't be wrong.

I wish you all the best with the repair.

Post #17781 12th Apr 2008 5:42 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

been to look at the cheaper quotes work

The bloke who recommended him let me look at his repair on a metallic gold Volvo S60

In my opinion it looked to be very good, i hear gold is a very hard colour to match

He'll be painting the whole front wing and passenger door so if he matches the colours as good on mine, i will be happy. Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #17789 12th Apr 2008 7:00 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 
Dr Colorchip

Has anybody had a stone chip repair using Dr color chip

Its a product from across the pond and the website result look great (obviously)

dab the touchup paint on and smear with thumb and then wipe off use special forula

Whats peoples opinions Question any of our US of A members seen it Question

http://www.drcolorchip.com/ Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #18107 16th Apr 2008 8:30 pm
Cypress

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Hi,

I used a touch up stick and some stuff called langka, essentially you blob the paint into the scratch and then rub the blob down with a bit of cloth an some of the langka stuff, it helps blend the new paint in. I used it to fix the road-rash on the front of my MINI before I sold it.

I then used a DA polisher to finish the job off, it wasn't perfect you could see the new paint if you looked carefully from the right angle. It was good enough for the dealer not reduce the price of the car by the cost of a bonnet respray Smile

Paul;

Post #18108 16th Apr 2008 8:37 pm
boiledgnat

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I'd be tempted to go for the best paint repair you can. Otherwise, you'll always be seeing the issue everytime you clean the car.

I had to have a panel resprayed three weeks into ownership due to the windscreen repair bloke slipping when fitting the new windscreen (old one got chipped by a stone!). It was done under the windscreen company's insurance, but I used the recommended LR bodyshop (part of Evans Halshaw). They did a great job and I can't see any difference to the rest of the car.

As the old saying goes - you buys cheap, you pay twice.

I'm just waiting for LR to come up with an electical coupling for the car so any scrote who touches it with a metal object gets 240 of Powergen's finest straight up their jacksie !

Post #18140 17th Apr 2008 12:46 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I have had the rear bumper respaired by the LR dealer bodyshop, it was great until the clearcoat started to peel, obviously fix it at not cost.

I have seen the cheaper blokes work on a Metalic gold car, and his work was was just as good, and if i don't think the job is up to scratch he says i don't pay him until it is. Very Happy Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #18142 17th Apr 2008 12:52 pm
CY

Scotland 

Gosh, just seen this now Nick - sorry to hear it, what a nightmare.

We had our Mazda done when at a Fringe show in town just before we came to sell - had some ridiculous quotes to repair and were told by these various small companies that it was above anything they could do and that it would have to be a back-to-Mazda job. When we sold it we had a valuation done from Volvo before they knew about the scratches (via e-mail) and when we told them about the damage they said it made no difference to the trade-in price against the V70 we subsequently bought. Thumbs Up "CY from DISCO3"

Discovery 3 TDV6 SE

Post #18171 17th Apr 2008 6:23 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

if i was going to swap the car in the near furture i would most like just fill and polish with the colour stuff on the market, but since i will be having it for a few more years i am getting it sorted Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #18175 17th Apr 2008 7:08 pm
CY

Scotland 

Yep sounds like the best option Thumbs Up "CY from DISCO3"

Discovery 3 TDV6 SE

Post #18184 17th Apr 2008 9:01 pm
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Nick,

Shocked gutted for you fella....jealous b4stards! definately a key job me thinks!

Reminds me of a few years back when I had just had my BMW repaired, from someone crashing into the side of it, and then some Censored came along and keyed the whole rear panel that had just been replaced!! Was not happy.

Would have replied sooner, but just got back this morning from Japan.

Egypt is still very cheap, but if it wasn't for business dragging me ther every year I'd stay away from the place, as Cairo does my head in with the constant honking of horns and smog over the place. My job quite often takes me to areas where the normal tourist does not go or want to go in countries and can give a very different view on a place.

Post #18232 18th Apr 2008 5:37 pm
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

I regularly visit Egypt with work and have to deal with some of the most awful officials in the world in the Suez Canal Authority. It made me very wary of ever going back there for a holiday....................... however for the last 12 years I have been travelling to Sinai for a couple or 3 weeks of windsurfing at a time and it couldn't be more different to the Canal Zone. Last November I even spent 2 nights in Cairo and it wasn't too bad at all, frantic and polluted and not somewhere I would want to spend more than a couple of days. 2 hours at the Pyramids being accosted by Rent-a-Camel reps was more than any sane person should have to put up with - those guys could make a fortune teaching Time Share salespeople the secrets of ignoring the word NO. Even F**k O** doesn't work with them - they get a gold star VG+ for persistence! If you ever get to Sinai for a holiday - you absolutely must make the effort to climb to the top of Mt Sinai, it is well worth the climb (that is if half of Australia's University population isn't also there on the same day which kinda spoiled our trip to the summit to watch the sunrise!) How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #18236 18th Apr 2008 5:49 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>