Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Australia & New Zealand > New to the Forum - From Perth.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
austag

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Zermatt Silver
New to the Forum - From Perth.

Hi All
I got my FL2 in September 2007. I’ve been around Landrovers all my life (dad has always owned them), seen the good, the bad, the ugly side of Landrover… Laughing . And I truly believe with the right driver, a bit of good old reliability they are unstoppable.

However the FL2 is my first as an owner. All my previous 4WD’s were Toyota’s that spent their off road life always following the Landrover around the country. We’ve been everywhere (man! Laughing ), Rabbit Proof Fence, Gunbarrel Hwy, Telegraph Track, Canning Stock Route, Ann Beadell, Connie Sue, various desert treks and many places in between.

However due to lack of off road time and costs in general I had to down size vehicle and the FL2 seemed to be the only option for a true 4WD in the smaller bracket.

After seeing it on Top Gear, 5th Gear etc, I knew it was the vehicle for me. Thumbs Up

I can honestly say I love it. It’s a dream on-road, and so far off road, she’s a beauty, and so much more comfortable than Dad’s Defender or even the Landcruiser. Downside, it only comes in Auto !! and hate the glass in the wing mirrors (making things look far away!). Fuel economy is great too !!

Yes I’ve had some problems (what vehicle doesn’t), air intake clamp dropped off, can say that scared the crap outta me when that left go, the noise was loud!!! The inbuilt aerial sucks, I find the reception really isn’t that crash hot. Still trying to workout the radio…might have to read the manual I suppose. First one in WA to have a towbar…what drama’s that caused!!! Not just electronic but stupidity on the dealers behalf as well.

My question now that I’ve dribbled all this crap above… Razz . How many here actually use the vehicle for off roading?

I really need to find out more about this Terrain Response, but sadly between the dealer over here, Landrover in the East and the website I’ve found out stuff all. And have been treated like a moron on all occasions. (maybe because I’m a girl !!!)

I’ve used it in all terrain options and think its bloody amazing how it thinks for itself, however I’d like to know more so I don’t get myself into a sticky situation and not learn by mistakes.

I’ve only had the FL2 out off road twice in the 7 months, once in deep loose sand and hill work (bush work, not beach/dune work), and the second time in a mixture of sand, gravel, rutt, rock, water (puddles) work. It’s excelled in all areas so far, but for ground clearance, just means I have to think a bit more when approaching situations. Must say coming from the good old manual, low/high range knobs system, its very weird this Terrain Response, weird but bloody amazing!

Oh, for an off road vehicle (supposedly), I’ve just found out that the air filter doesn’t cope too well with dust (and a small amount of water). I only found this out as I took it back for a squeaking noise, which they said it was more of a whistle and that was the problem car was struggling for air. Seemed to run fine tho. But once I got it replaced it ran much better. I had it serviced two weeks before Easter you’d think they would have picked up that the air filter was close to full.

Well there’s my half a book worth.

Looking forward to hearing everyone’s stories.

Regards.
MT
Very Happy

Post #17050 3rd Apr 2008 7:11 am
sievester

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Rimini Red
Re: New to the Forum - From Perth.

austag wrote:
How many here actually use the vehicle for off roading?

A few of us here use their FL2's full capabilities. I actually purchased it because of what it can do off road. I think we may be seldom though especially when you compare us to our British counter parts. They seem more interested in bling wheels and changing their side indicator lenses so they are clear! You may like to check out http://www.aulro.com/

Post #17167 5th Apr 2008 3:15 pm
austag

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Zermatt Silver

Thanks sievester, I'll have a squizz at that site.

Post #17541 10th Apr 2008 5:25 am
Dorko

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Hi

Im going to be a new owner of a Free Lander 2 in October. How you Perth guys finding the car?

Dorko

Post #23496 3rd Jul 2008 11:02 am
Fishy

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Hey Dorko

Im a Perth lad and have had my FL2 for about 2 months now. Absolutely loving the car so far and (touch wood) havent had any problems with it as yet. My only gripes (which i talked about in another post) is the poor fuel economy and the low specs of the stereo unit. Would love it if it had the LCD entertainment unit with sat nav as standard as it appears they do over in the UK. Once again us Aussies get shafted with a lower spec model then over seas. Anyone know why that is????? Its not just We already pay more for the car but get less for it Evil or Very Mad

Dorko what model, colour, options, etc did you end up choosing? How long will the delivery wait be from order to pick up? Did you get a good price for the end of the financial year?

I havent seen many FL2 driving around Perth as yet so it feels pretty cool to have one Very Happy

Post #23899 8th Jul 2008 4:31 am
Dorko

Hi Fishy,

I ordered the HSE Diesel in Auto. It will have the premium pack and its in the new Black, with Almond trim and instead of the wood i have gone this new silver?!

To be honest no idea what its going to look like as i have not seen the new model. But im hoping its hot! LOL

Getting paint protection of a friend in the family with tint for $300. Bargain!

All up the car is on a lease for 3 years, but drive away it was $62,500 there abouts. Thumbs Up

Pretty happy with the price i think.

What you guys pay?

Also my wife and i have only seen two freelanders on the road. One was a silver in the city and the other was a Red. Both without premium pack Sad

I expect delivery to be October the 15th.... Bring it on!

Dorko

Post #23924 8th Jul 2008 11:35 am
Fishy

Hey Dorko

Originally i was going to get the black with the alpaca trim but didnt want to wait the 3 months for delivery and previously having a black car it was a pain in the a*s to keep clean and thought id go for something different and besides they had a new stornoway grey with ebony there in the yard with all the fruit on it that i wanted (premium pack, 19 inch wheels, sunroof) and it really caught my eye. I originally was going to get the diesel but after driving them both i really liked the extra zip and smoothness of the petrol so decided to save myself a couple grand and went for the si6. With the price of diesel sky rocketting the extra economy of a diesel is a bit negated by the cost to fill the tank up. Although with my petrol i havent been able to get anywhere near their stated fuel economy. Mine sits 14-15L/km. Im only going to keep my car for 4 years max so when i did a few sums the extra $2500 for the diesel wasnt much difference to the fuel id use over that period. But with the price of petrol getting closer and closer to $2/L that may be different now. If it goes any higher we might be all catching buses and trains anyway Wink

Did you get the sunroof with yours?

Was there any other differences besides new colour paint and leather trim with the new model? Be interesting to see what the almond leather is like??

Interestingly mine has the silver trim instead of wood like yours. Wonder if it is the same as what yours would be? I was even thinking of going back to have a look at a FRL2 with black leather with the wood trim to see if i liked it better as some days i really like the silver and other days im not sure. I dont think it would be too expensive to replace???

I paid $65k drive away for mine. So your price seems pretty good. I know the sunroof as a few grand extra. Maybe i paid extra for the sunroof and immediate delivery??? Hope i didnt get ripped????? Crying or Very sad But i did haggle for 2 and half weeks to get that price as originally they wanted $72K so thought i got a reasonable deal???? Sh*t hope so Question Did you get yours from the north or south dealership???

I havent seen any FL2s with the premium pack at all (and only 4 FL2 in total on the roads) so i guess i better make the most of the next 3 months with my exclusive premium packed ride Thumbs Up 2008 FL2 HSE i6 Stornoway Grey Ebony Premium Pack Sunroof Indash Navman Illegal Window Tint Smile

Post #23949 9th Jul 2008 4:29 am
Dorko

I reckon you got a good deal. You got a sunroof Whistle

I dont Embarassed LOL

But the petrol was my bet too. Wife made me go the Diesel. Even the sales man said the Diesel is the bette choice. I think i made the right choice as they are pretty much the same price at the pump. But its going ot be hard for me to adjust with the power. I'm coming from a XR6 turbo with 265kw at the wheels. But i am looking forward to 4WD driving on the beach.

We should meet up when i get my car, and go for a beach drive... i wont do bushs, wife would murder me if i got a scratch on the car.

I bought mine through a lease, at Ossie Park. Is this where you bought yours?

So is there only 4 Freelanders 2 in perth?

I'm going to change that in October! LOL

You fuel is a bit high though, you should look at that.... Arent they meant to be around 10L?

God i cant wait....

Post #23958 9th Jul 2008 10:33 am
Big Ads

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Sumatra Black

Dorko

I've had my FL2 since Feb this year and the dealer told me then that they had sold there full quota of 40+ before Xmas 2007. I live NOR and pretty much see the all the time. I personaly think this is a good thing as we may get a few people with FL2's joing the 4x4 clubs.

Post #23965 9th Jul 2008 3:51 pm
Dorko

Yeah i was told that too. LOL

Must be the same dealer. I live Near the Swan Valley and work in the city. Seen two! Like finding gold! hahahaha

So what did you get? And do you go 4WD on the dunes near Mindarie?

Dorko

Post #23980 10th Jul 2008 12:12 am
Fishy

they state in the specs the combined fuel economy is 11.2L/100km. The only time i have been below 14 is when i did a trip down to margaret river and back using cruise control and even that was in the 11-12s. I dont think the stated fuel economys in specs are ever achievable in real life!!

Car dealers dont lie so there must be over 40 FL2s out there Wink But i have only seen 4 and none with the premium pack and Perth aint that big so i think he might be stretching the truth a bit Very Happy

I got mine from southern LR but i actually think that both dealerships are owned together anyway (Barbagellos). I checked out Ossie park but they didnt have many HSE in stock where as southern did. I think that we both got a reasonably good deal??? Be interesting to hear from others.

The premium pack is a must i feel as it adds so much to the cars looks. The colour painted bumpers and side skirts plus better door handles looks so much better. Does yours come with 19inch wheels? and upgraded quality of the leather seats? or are these different on the 09s?

What price did they start with with you?? youve gotta love how the price quickly blows out from the base price once they add on metalic paint (WTF is with that at $1700), dealer delivery, licencing, stamp duty, premium pack, etc. I nearly fell off the chair when they started at $72K Shocked

Sorry about all the questions but im just excited to have someone to talk to about all this Mr. Green 2008 FL2 HSE i6 Stornoway Grey Ebony Premium Pack Sunroof Indash Navman Illegal Window Tint Smile

Post #23987 10th Jul 2008 2:22 am
Big Ads

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Sumatra Black

Been a few times mainly down near Tims Thicket. Might be heading up near two rocks in the next few weeks.

I got the TD4 SE with racks towball and side steps. I think I'm going to regret the side steps when I get stuck into some decent 4x4 work. The clearance is compramised. I would really like to get it lifted a bit to make up for the steps. Trying to find someone who is doing it.

Anyone else had much luck with this?

Post #23988 10th Jul 2008 3:19 am
Dorko

Geez your fuel bill is higher than my turbo ute! Laughing Ouch!

I so agree that you need to go for the premuim pack. Two tone colours looks cheap and the FL2 is not exactly a cheap car.

I get the 19inch rims, better leather. ( The only difference in leather is the stichin) i think.

The difference on the MY09 is so little. Basically i get reading lights, clear indictors lense, and different trim. But i hope the metal i picked, instead of the wood grain, looks good (Not a fan of wood). The Metal is different to yours because they changed it in the MY09.

Not sure what the original price they quoted, because i went through SG Fleet. So i only saw the end figure. But if you are mad enough to pay full RRP you deserve to get ripped off. I would never pay more than $70k for a FL2. I would go a Discovery for sure.

Yeah the $1700 for paint is the biggest bullsh*t ever! Better have gold in it!

I'm glad theres someone else in Perth that uses this forum.
Its a bit lonely otherwise hahahahha

Dorko

Post #23989 10th Jul 2008 3:21 am
Dorko

Big Ads wrote:
Been a few times mainly down near Tims Thicket. Might be heading up near two rocks in the next few weeks.

I got the TD4 SE with racks towball and side steps. I think I'm going to regret the side steps when I get stuck into some decent 4x4 work. The clearance is compramised. I would really like to get it lifted a bit to make up for the steps. Trying to find someone who is doing it.

Anyone else had much luck with this?

You should try Wanneroo, they have heaps of supension places. I'm sure someone would do it.

In fact theres one on Gnarages rd called APES supensions. They do 4WD....

Dorko

Post #23990 10th Jul 2008 3:33 am
Fishy

Yeah im hoping it gets better as the engine runs in a bit more and maybe my foot becomes a bit lighter Razz as i am getting less then 500kms/tank

are the rims your getting on the 09 the same shadow chrome ones? yeah the leather upgrade with extra stitching and perforated leather makes it look more classy in my opinion.

do you know how the silver trims differ from old to new?

in your looking around did you see a FR2 with black leather with the dark wood trim? Just wondering what you thought of it as i was thinking of maybe getting it?

totally agree RRP is for suckers but boy do they make it out that those prices are set and there isnt much room to move! 2008 FL2 HSE i6 Stornoway Grey Ebony Premium Pack Sunroof Indash Navman Illegal Window Tint Smile

Post #23994 10th Jul 2008 7:57 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>