« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Early Days - 2015 Road Trip
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
andycwb

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Ipanema Sand
Early Days - 2015 Road Trip

SWMBO is planning a walking holiday in 2015 that I have no interest in (hiking the Inca Trail). So, I have, give or take, 10 days when she's away when I'm planning to do some kind of road trip.

Although it's a long way out, I want to try to get a basic plan together and see if anyone else wants to join in.

The dates are fixed - 10 days starting 22nd June. So, I'm thinking of either a round Britain trip, including Land's End to John O'Groats, or some kind of European trip, perhaps down into either Spain or Italy. I did have the slightly crazy idea of Lands End to John O'Groats including all 15 national parks in the UK, but that seems to make the distances huge, but haven't totally discounted it yet.

The intention is to take a fairly leisurely route, mostly camping, and indulge my other hobbies of photography and food along the way.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this kind of trip and has done anything similar.

Andy 2011 MY SD4 HSE + planning some interesting stuff
Previously: 2004 Discovery Td5 ES Premium + lots of stuff
Previously: P38A Range Rover 4.0 SE
Hampshire and Berkshire 4x4 Response Founder and Treasurer

Post #207598 17th Nov 2013 8:13 pm
Maxxed_Ross

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Bali Blue

I did a road trip through the heart of Scotland for a Subaru club I'm in, so can recommend a few unknown routes if you want some "proper" driving and fantastic scenery. I've linked the route below for info

https://goo.gl/maps/m4p3O

The Forth Bridges are quite an interesting landmark if you've never been up here before - plus it's right next to a very reasonably priced Shell station Thumbs Up

From the outskirts of Perth it's best to head North to Braemar and up Old Military Road, one of the best driving roads in the UK (EVO magazine have used it a few times). We stopped off at Glenshee and The Lecht Ski Centres for a walk about and some pictures in the very heart of the Highlands. If you have time there's a great Distillery tour at Glenfarclas Distillery.

We will be heading west through the back of beyond and ending up in Applecross on the West Coast - renowned for being one of the best drivers roads in Europe, so if you're going up to John O'Groats then you could possibly do this route on the way back

Click image to enlarge

We came back down Loch Ness and Loch Lomond the year before and it was a total mistake. The roads are terrible quality and too busy - so this time we're sticking to the coast to head south and then cutting through Glencoe towards Callander - some fantastic roads and even better scenery.

Whatever way you end up going steer clear of the A9 - it may be the most direct route north but it's covered in average speed cameras, psychotic drivers and there's not much to see.

if you need any help let me know :D

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #247146 31st Dec 2014 8:21 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1