« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Lock problem??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Nuttbusta

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Rimini Red
Lock problem??

My wife has just phoned me to ask if I've been rooting around in her car (the FL2)

I said no and asked why which was when she told me that the central pocket and glove compartment were open and that the small purse for parking money is missing.

Funny thing is she said the passenger and boot doors were not closed properly but the windows were closed and the mirrors folded in (like the car was locked)

So someone has been in the car we just don't know if we left something open or if they know how to get into a locked car.

After looking properly there were a few minor things pinch but I'd like to know it won't happen again.

If we didn't close those doors properly ourselves then the alarm sounds when you try to lock it... F2 GS TD4

Post #204449 24th Oct 2013 5:03 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

The only thing I can think of is that if the tailgate release button in the remote was accidentally pressed after the car was locked the tailgate would release and the alarm be disabled, but the car may still appear locked. I don't recall off-hand whether opening just the tailgate in this way unfolds the mirrors - it may well not. The 'perp' might then have got in via the tailgate and leaned over to open the passenger door. Experimentation would be needed to see if that results in what you're seeing.

Post #204452 24th Oct 2013 5:38 pm
garioch43

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Just checked mine.

With car locked, I pressed the tailgate release button. Tailgate unlocked, but mirrors did not unfold.

Opened the tailgate and climbed in. No alarm.

Pressed the tailgate button again and it locked, with indicators giving two flashes.

Also confirmed that, unlike the doors, it doesn't automatically lock again if you don't open it.

Having said that, it's a helluva coincidence if some oik just happened to try the tailgate. Rolling Eyes garioch43

2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE - Santorini Black/Black Leather
2002 MGF 1.8i - British Racing Green/Cream Leather with loads of walnut and chrome bits

Post #204520 25th Oct 2013 10:23 am
wdw

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Loire Blue

Pressing the tailgate button on mine does not just unlock the tailgate it releases it. It can only be relocked by slamming it down again (no need to press any buttons). When released it is visibly not properly closed. The mirrors do not unfold and although I don't normally start crawling around in the car, rooting around in the back does not trip the alarm.

Bill

Post #204521 25th Oct 2013 10:34 am
Nuttbusta

So most probably I've hit the tailgate button whilst its parked outside (probably whilst unlocking my car and getting the fobs confused) which has left the boot unlocked and alarm disabled? F2 GS TD4

Post #204533 25th Oct 2013 2:08 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

Looks possible. The remotes have a very good range, which can be both good and bad, if you press something accidentally. I've unintentionally locked/unlocked the car in the past whilst carrying heavy boxes which have pressed against the pocket with the keys in! And if I press the remote in certain rooms in the house the car responds, despite the stone wall in between. One does have to be careful.

Post #204537 25th Oct 2013 2:21 pm
Nuttbusta

Thanks folks,

Ive checked the fobs to see if either is overactive and the locks etcetera but I think I must have just been a plum taking the shopping out or something. Seems to be alright now F2 GS TD4

Post #205459 1st Nov 2013 8:09 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1