Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Spotted > Land Rover L550 - will it be the new Freelander 3?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
jaksbak@freel2

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
Land Rover L550 - will it be the new Freelander 3?

For many months now I have been wondering if JLR will continue with the Freelander 2 in its current form or drop the brand altogether. I suspect the resale values of our existing FL2's might drop if the brand was deleted. The media have been incredibly quiet, which worries me as JLR have a track record in "teasing" the media with its new developments. There have been a few posts speculating here and there, one of which included the Baby Discovery. What an awful description - nothing against the Disco's!
. . . anyhow*, the online article I have just read (link attached) appears to have some merit. What is the latest goss from the locals on the L550?

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/news/l...by-6165084

To me it looks to be a perfect blend between the current FL2 and the Evoque. I just hope they give it more offroad credentials?
[/u]

Post #205141 30th Oct 2013 11:10 am
Adrian888

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Stornoway Grey

This is covered elsewhere on this forum and others. It has been known for some time the next FL will be called a Discovery in part to overcome the negativity of the Freelander name in respect of reliablity/build quality etc. As for the image, who knows? It is simply a generic photoshop. eh tu?

Post #205169 30th Oct 2013 5:40 pm
dledgy

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Fuji White

image not far off, new car will be 7 seats and will not be called a freelander Whistle

Post #205257 30th Oct 2013 10:48 pm
chrisdeeming

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

thats a great idea land rover change the name instead of sorting out the problems lol they will no doubt have countless problems with this new one and it looks abit box shape abit like a skoda yeti When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car

Post #205280 31st Oct 2013 8:46 am
MightyMildred

United Kingdom 

Negativity of the freelander!!?? Certainly not the FL2!!!! It is without shadow of a doubt LR's MOST reliable product!!
TVLR today... stuffed to the rafters with discos 3/4, RRS. FFRR but one FL2 (serviced) and one evoque (mine calling in to say hello).
I'm personally disappointed JLR are considering the "discovery" branding pathway. FL has done them very well... I think they could have been more inventive... However, after seeing the TV ads for FL2 and Evoque I'm not too surprised.

Post #205380 31st Oct 2013 10:34 pm
Tradewind 35

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Branding of the new LR models was discussed on this thread:-

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic17422.html

From every source I have spoken to or checked, the Freelander 2 is regarded as the most reliable vehicle in the LR range.
Although the reputation of the Freelander 1 was rubbish, the Freelander 2 is much better respected. My own car was beautifully built and has been the best car I have ever owned at heading on for 65,000 trouble-free miles. The time to ditch the word "Freelander" was back in 2007, not now.

So what would calling the next model a " Discovery" bring to the party - well for me it conjures up stratospherically high running costs, troublesome, fragile components, overweight etc.

If LR do decide to put anything other than LANDROVER front and centre on the bonnet of the new car I think that may well steer me away from the brand. Differentiation from lesser makes is important, I do wish they would get rid of the twits that market the cars - great vehicles with not enough input from engineers and far too much faffle from image stylists and makeover mechanics.
Robin.

Post #205410 1st Nov 2013 12:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MightyMildred

United Kingdom 

Tradewind Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #205411 1st Nov 2013 12:54 pm
chrisdeeming

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

Here here they should actually conduct some proper market research to the people that matter 'US' not USA lol When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car

Post #205416 1st Nov 2013 1:35 pm
Adrian888

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Stornoway Grey

being the most reliable product in the range is rather like damning with faint praise. This isn't about we think as existing converts/owners, it is about what the market thinks and espcially export markets such as USA. The reality is too many prospective FL buyers are still of the view the car is unreliable, still has K series engines and have little clue about the cars development so go straight for the nearest Q5/X3/santa Fe/Sorento/CR-V/RAV -4 etc. I also run an Audi (2004 build/1999 launch) and however much I may like the FL the build quality/fit/finish/reliability is a generation behind my older Audi. To get the sales/profits required and break with the FL legacy, rebranding is the best solution providing the quality in all aspects of the car also improves.

Car forum members/enthusiasts do not keep manufacturers in business- if forum opinions mattered to such an extent then MGRover would still be in business according to all those who still claim to want to buy a new ZR/ZT/75 etc..... The vast majority of cars are bought by people who are not remotely interested in in car clubs/forums and neither are they car enthusiasts - that is reality of the car market. Ask My ex who sold cars for 15 years and in all that time can count on the fingers of one hand the number of car enthusiast customers! You might not like what I have written but car manufacturers are in business to respond to the market and make money. eh tu?

Post #205419 1st Nov 2013 1:43 pm
athelstan

The DISCOVERY model name should not be the sole reason to put anyone off buying the next generation of the "Freelander" sized LR vehicle.

Simply remove the Discovery name from the bonnet (it is simple to do so with dental floss and a hairdryer) and purchase from a trusty supplier i.e. Duckworth's, the original LR Freelander bonnet badge. Job done.

The LR marketing department are right in identifying the 3 main target markets for the LR fleet: Luxury - Leisure - Dual Purpose, however, the branding gurus have got the execution totally wrong in applying the model names to the bonnet. Entirely misguided and will backfire as new niches within each of the three user groups are identified and supplied with totally new vehicle designs.

It is the brand of vehicle, Range Rover and Land Rover, which acts as the spider to catch a fly. That's what you place foremost front and rear of your vehicle. The primary identifier.
The specific models are a secondary identifier: FF, Sport, Evoke, Discovery, Freelander, Defender, which satisfy the consumer's appetite.
Followed of course by the desert - the trim levels - the after dinner Port if so desired.

Post #205425 1st Nov 2013 2:48 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

So many flaws in that article. But the thing that is 100% fact, is the branding of the new cars which does make perfect sense.

"LAND ROVER" will be the manufacturer, and there will be three separate brands under the Land Rover banner.

"Discovery"
"Defender"
"Range Rover"

So you will have :-

Range Rover 'Evoque'
Range Rover 'Sport'
Range Rover 'Vogue'

Discovery 'New Name' (To replace Freelander)
Discovery 'New Name' (To Replace current Discovery)

Defender 'New Name' (To Replace current Defender in many body guises)

The current Discovery 4, which will be facelifted as purely 'Discovery' in March/April 2014, will be the lauch platform for the new Discovery family.

The next models for the Range Rover brand in 2014 are :-

Evoque RS
Evoque Convertible
Evoque 7 Seater
Sport RS

In 2015, ready for the 2016MY, so about September 2015, the new "Discovery" brand will be ready for a full new family, which will include :-

Current Freelander replacement in both 5 and 7 seat guises
Current Discovery replacement in 7 seat guise

So a three model line up at first for the new Discovery family.

No word yet on the Defender family but this should come on stream around 2017.

The reason for the timescales is because all the new cars will have the new LR engines. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #207886 19th Nov 2013 5:20 pm
Oceantreader

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

I think this might be the replacement for the FL2

Saw it and another like it come out of Gaydon on Tuesday 138,000 miles & counting

Post #210035 6th Dec 2013 4:26 pm
Nick Jan

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
Really don't get it!

Mav71's detailed comments sound pretty informed to me, however I'm still utterly bemused as to why LR would drop the Freelander name in favour of Discovery anything! I've had both models in the past and I know which I think is better built, cheaper to maintain and reliable, and its NOT Discovery. I'm equally bemused at the suggestion that Land Rover may not be writ large on the bonnet; why on earth not?! Shocked

Despite that, I still hope to replace my trusty FL2 with the next generation model, whatever it's called. I remain optimistic it will feature the new generation of greener LR engines, ideally including the option of diesel & petrol hybrids! Razz

Let's hope the speculation that it will be called Discovery Sport doesn't simply signal adding £5k - £10k for the name change. Rolling Eyes Life is not a dress rehearsal!

Post #214654 23rd Jan 2014 6:55 pm
big-al-cove

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Fuji White

Mav71 wrote:
So many flaws in that article. But the thing that is 100% fact, is the branding of the new cars which does make perfect sense.

"LAND ROVER" will be the manufacturer, and there will be three separate brands under the Land Rover banner.

"Discovery"
"Defender"
"Range Rover"

So you will have :-

Range Rover 'Evoque'
Range Rover 'Sport'
Range Rover 'Vogue'

Discovery 'New Name' (To replace Freelander)
Discovery 'New Name' (To Replace current Discovery)

Defender 'New Name' (To Replace current Defender in many body guises)

The current Discovery 4, which will be facelifted as purely 'Discovery' in March/April 2014, will be the lauch platform for the new Discovery family.

The next models for the Range Rover brand in 2014 are :-

Evoque RS
Evoque Convertible
Evoque 7 Seater
Sport RS

In 2015, ready for the 2016MY, so about September 2015, the new "Discovery" brand will be ready for a full new family, which will include :-

Current Freelander replacement in both 5 and 7 seat guises
Current Discovery replacement in 7 seat guise

So a three model line up at first for the new Discovery family.

No word yet on the Defender family but this should come on stream around 2017.

The reason for the timescales is because all the new cars will have the new LR engines.

Will there be a pick-up version of either the Discovery or the Defender available, if there is can you tell the man in charge to make it with coil springs all round or even air bags as I can't stand leaf springs at the rear 1995 P38 now dead
2012 FL2 GS Fuji White
winter pack
arm rest pack

Post #214669 23rd Jan 2014 9:13 pm
Stevie5tapes

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Auto Sumatra Black

I read this article today, it makes an interesting little read

http://www.lro.com/news-reviews/2014/1/wou...l-a-landy/ Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.
Gone MY2010 Freelander 2 Manual TD4.e S, Alaska White.

Post #214677 23rd Jan 2014 10:26 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>