Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Tyre disappointment.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
stooby

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Rimini Red
Tyre disappointment.

Humph.
When my on-since-new Continentals wore out in 15K miles I looked around for what to replace them with.
I even flirted with the idea of winter tyres for a while. However in the end I settled on Pirelli Scorpion ATRs.
Sadly, I have to say I've not been impressed. I expect they lean towards the off road side of things more than the Continentals I had. In the cold and wet roads they've not been inspiring confidence.

This morning I came down a back road where overnight rain had frozen into a verglas. The car was all over the place. I ended up with a queue of traffic behind me, a metre off my bumper. Usually a brake check will waken such people up and make them back off a bit but not this morning. So much so I actually started to believe that I might have a problem with my car. A flat or something. I pulled over and let the eejits by. I watched them all race down the road to a bend. I expected an accident but they all flew round. So I got out the car and promptly went on my backside. It was very icy indeed. How they all got round that bend at that speed I do not know. Maybe they all had winter tyres on?
Perhaps the Pirellis will be good in snow (if we ever get any).

Yesterday, a colleague spotted a Skoda Yeti at the lights trying to move away. They had studded tyres on which were just spinning on the tarmac. Are studded tyres legal in this country? How long will such a tyre last on tarmac? Mental.

Stuart

Post #129248 26th Jan 2012 11:55 am
jp

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Are studded tyres legal in this country? How long will such a tyre last on tarmac? Mental.

No there or not legal

Post #129249 26th Jan 2012 11:57 am
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

no non studded tyre will grip on ice, it's all about driving technique.

Iain

Post #129252 26th Jan 2012 12:17 pm
stooby

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Rimini Red
Hi Iain

I agree that physics and ice will tend to mean that no tyre will grip but there are degrees of grip.
The other morning on BBC news they had a Focus on an ice rink trying to negotiate a bend marked out with cones.
Admittedly they were only doing about 15mph but the normal tyre shod Focus didn't make it. The winter tyre Focus did. So I reckon winter tyres do make a difference even on sheet ice.

My point was though, this morning, I do not know how a Ford fusion, Transit and some wee Japanese thing all managed round an icy bend at reasonable speed when I was crabbing along with butt cheeks clenched.

Can butt clenching affect tyre grip?

Stuart

Post #129255 26th Jan 2012 12:37 pm
2freel2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

I have had two sets of goodyear wranglers, lasted at least 30k each, had michelin lattitude tour HP on for past 17k and they have impressed so far. They look like they will last as long as the goodyears judging by wear so far. They have not been used in snow or on any bad ice so far.

The wranglers got through the last two winters no worries whatsoever, even went driving for fun up some untouched lanes with perhaps a foot of snow and towed a disco out of snow last winter. I dont know how the michelins would fget on but on the roads they are definitely a bit quieter and seem to offer plenty of grip, i do tend to corner quicker than average.

As the others say driving on ice is more about style than tyres unless you are in scandinavia or somewhere where studs are legal. Its all about maintaining momentum and being smooth.

Post #129262 26th Jan 2012 1:35 pm
djburns

France 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey

12000 miles on continentals since delivery of new FL2 S last May and they look as if they will be finished by 15000 miles too. I'm keen to change but looks like GY wrangler is the only other option in the same size(215/75x16). I spoke to service manager at dealers and he couldn't confirm whether 235/70x16 (3% difference in diameter) could be used without invalidating warranty or needing a ECU re programming! He refered me to a local tyre dealer who of course couldn't comment on the warranty. I'm looking for a more AT type tyre. Interestingly I used Pirelli scorpion STR on my previous X trail and they(and car) were very good off road in mud, wet grass snow and ice. Anyway disappointed to your comments on the scorpion ATR's as I was considering a set! Rolling Eyes

Post #129356 26th Jan 2012 8:54 pm
big-al-cove

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Fuji White

hi

GENERAL GRABBER AT2

are the best all round tyre on the market in my opinion, summer, winter, off road it will cope with it all 1995 P38 now dead
2012 FL2 GS Fuji White
winter pack
arm rest pack

Post #129360 26th Jan 2012 9:03 pm
D99

England 

Can also recommend the new General Grabber A/T Thumbs Up

Post #129366 26th Jan 2012 9:12 pm
landy19840

Israel 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

D99 wrote:
Can also recommend the new General Grabber A/T Thumbs Up

Agreed with above, good in the snow tonight too!

Post #129370 26th Jan 2012 9:15 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey
Re: Hi Iain

stooby wrote:
Can butt clenching affect tyre grip?
Stuart

Certainly, if you get them studded first Laughing 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #129376 26th Jan 2012 9:19 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

big-al-cove wrote:
hi

GENERAL GRABBER AT2

are the best all round tyre on the market in my opinion, summer, winter, off road it will cope with it all

I thought the AT2 was discontinued Question ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #129379 26th Jan 2012 9:21 pm
big-al-cove

Dave wrote:
big-al-cove wrote:
hi

GENERAL GRABBER AT2

are the best all round tyre on the market in my opinion, summer, winter, off road it will cope with it all

I thought the AT2 was discontinued Question

no there use to be the general grabber then they updated the tread pattern and called it the general grabber at2 unless the original grabber is now discontinued and they have dropped the number 2

http://www.4x4tyres.co.uk/2356517-general-...p-325.html

this is the tread pattern, oh you may be right only calling it the general grabber at now 1995 P38 now dead
2012 FL2 GS Fuji White
winter pack
arm rest pack

Post #129383 26th Jan 2012 9:28 pm
Wing

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

djburns wrote:
I'm keen to change but looks like GY wrangler is the only other option in the same size(215/75x16). I spoke to service manager at dealers and he couldn't confirm whether 235/70x16 (3% difference in diameter) could be used without invalidating warranty or needing a ECU re programming! Rolling Eyes

Just put those two tyre sizes through a well known calculator and they come back as just 0.82% difference in diameter, which relates to 6mm or 49.57mph instead of 50mph or 702 wheel revolutions per mile as opposed to 696.
I've fitted 16inch wheels over winter with Goodyear Wrangler At/SA tyres and have 235-70-16's in place of the standard wheels on 235-60-18's Scorpions "difference of -4mm or 0.54%" and given the o.k by my local service tech. You can see the tyres I fitted @ 12 sec's and 6m 43s in THIS video courtesy of russel8, great tyres in everything I've driven in so far. Thumbs Up

Post #129396 26th Jan 2012 9:46 pm
big-al-cove

guess you found the swimming setting as you got through Smile

do you find any road noise Question 1995 P38 now dead
2012 FL2 GS Fuji White
winter pack
arm rest pack

Post #129404 26th Jan 2012 9:59 pm
jaksbak@freel2

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Nice video Wing. Such a variety of colours and conditions - it would be a great vid for potential new owners.

Post #129431 27th Jan 2012 1:03 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>