Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Finance & Insurance > What counts as modifications for insurance purposes?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Crusie control and heated screen which was a factory option was considered a mod by Admiral and they increased the premium ! even more when I mentiuoned the tow bar ! they just fell over and laughed when I mentioned the head lamp washers ! but the rubber floor matts were OK LOL

Post #102380 17th May 2011 1:43 pm
Biscay

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Biscay Blue

My Freelander one had sidesteps, front 'A' frame, roof bars, tints, different landrover alloys, off road pod spots, rubbing strips, mud flaps wind deflectors, arm rest and light guards, etc. Yes even mud flaps have to be disclosed.

I thought it best to advise insurance company and compared costs with and without with compare the market. Not only did my insurance shoot up but as more than three mods a lot of companies wouldn't insure me. All were factory fitted and all landrover parts, fitted from new. Problem was that due to putting on website every insurance company knew and one currently insured with wrote to me advising me that insurance was null and void unless i paid over a £100 more. Luckily I had recording of conversation when I did advise them. HaHa. That was Admiral and they did maintain lower price, but it meant I could never find anyone cheaper.

How come when you buy a merc or bmw practically everything is an optional extra but doesn't effect insurance?

Also, when I asked why, I was told that it was due to being more likely to be stolen. Car value didnt come into it and don't expect to get more from the insurance due to them being there. All you will get is market value which doesnt take into account their original cost. The other reason was that a soft A frame isnt recoqnised and so goes down as a Bull bar which means higher claims if you hit someone.

Really its just another example of rip off Britain.

If its stolen, hope they dont find it. If you have a smash, take them off quick. Or keep your mods below three. I wouldn't buy a car with more than three again. And becareful, this may also include non factory spec tyres as may be seen to have sufficiently altered road adhesion!!

Post #102385 17th May 2011 3:48 pm
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

W.D.C.A.P.H. wrote:
So what about going from 215/75 R16s to 225/75 r16s AT's ?

So what about putting a make of tyre on that the manufacturer would never fit? you know Sang Yongs or something or remoulds even?

Post #102390 17th May 2011 5:07 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I had to tell mine about the Yorkshire Rose sticker on my front mudguard on my bike.

And we all know Yorkshire is known as 'God's County' so no taking the p... Thumbs Up Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #102403 17th May 2011 7:34 pm
trawlerman66

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Mauritius Blue

AVIVA cover all factory fitted options and do not class them as modifications. And they were extremely cheap. MY13- TD4 XS Mauritius Blue, Privacy glass, Cold climate pack, Tailgate spoiler, Armrest pack, LED signature, Body side mouldings, Full size spare and finally Mudflaps

GONE - MY11 TD4 HSE LAGO GREY Privacy Glass

GONE- 08 GS Stornoway Grey Privacy Glass
GONE- 07 GS Stornoway Grey Privacy Glass
GONE- 04 Silver

Post #102406 17th May 2011 8:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DrownedRat

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Rimini Red

What about my soon to be fitted Chrome...... Laughing There's always a way forward!

2008 Freelander Td4 GS - Stornoway Grey - Now Gone - Sob
2011 Freelander Td4 GS 150 - Rimini Red - in its place - Better x far x 4!!

Post #102412 17th May 2011 9:59 pm
toeknee

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

DR
Don’t worry about the chrome been classed as a modification, the style police will get you first before your insurance company Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #102417 17th May 2011 10:38 pm
DrownedRat

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Rimini Red

Cheers! I'll sleep soundly (with a shotgun under my bed.......) Thumbs Up There's always a way forward!

2008 Freelander Td4 GS - Stornoway Grey - Now Gone - Sob
2011 Freelander Td4 GS 150 - Rimini Red - in its place - Better x far x 4!!

Post #102511 18th May 2011 7:42 pm
ad210358

England 

DrownedRat wrote:
Cheers! I'll sleep soundly (with a shotgun under my bed.......) Thumbs Up

Don't forget the ear plugs Whistle

Post #102513 18th May 2011 8:05 pm
asinrute

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Santorini Black

Quote:
AVIVA cover all factory fitted options and do not class them as modifications. And they were extremely cheap.

My Insurance WAS with direct line, the renewal was £213 which I was going to accept, I told them about my sports styling Kit, they checked with the underwriter and came back with, 'it's going to cost another £200'. I queried it but they confirmed an extra £200.

Swift Cover quoted me £192 and asked If your car has been modified in any way from the manufacturer's standard specification (excluding manufacturer's options fitted at the time of original purchase),

So as it was fitted from new I assume that's OK FL2 HSE Sumatra black with body kit

Post #102514 18th May 2011 8:06 pm
dunroof

I'd still check. It's going to be difficult to argue if your pride and joy is crumpled in the garage and the insurance point out some bit of the fine print to you and say we aint paying. That said, my understanding is they would pay 3rd party costs, but that wont help you.

Post #102516 18th May 2011 8:22 pm
Ian M

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Izmir Blue

Many years ago, I had an MG Maestro 2.0 EFi and about two years after I sold it (probably late 80's) a lady rang me to say she had bought the vehicle and ( unfortunately for her !) it had been stolen and subsequently torched. Her insurers were refusing to pay out on the grounds that the vehicle had been modified/tuned up. Fair enough, but their assumption was based on a little silver badge that I had put on the bootlid - 'Westendorf' - when I told her that this was the name of a small touristy village in Austria which I regularly visited, she was most amused. I would have loved to hear her conversation with her insurers !

Post #102728 20th May 2011 9:35 am
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Ian M
Priceless ! good way to start a book of insurance excuses Thumbs Up
Rolling with laughter

Post #102759 20th May 2011 4:18 pm
dunroof

Well today when I was renewing with Disco's insurance with Zurich, despite having it all down, they went thro' all the details. Evidently it's gone from Zurich Solutions to Zurich Connections or vice versa. Took 20 mins and she asked everything about the car and I do mean everything despite me saying they were all opnions I took when ordering from the factory like privacy, heated front screen etc. The premium didn't go up, but then they'd sent me a renewal letter quoting a figure, so it's hard to go back on it.

Post #102781 20th May 2011 8:31 pm
Biscay

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Biscay Blue

My old Freelander was insured with Admiral and although I disclosed everything and offered to send photos they originally said all factory options were o.k. Three months later I got a letter saying insurance will be cancelled unless I paid another £100 pounds. Luckily had a recording of me telling them. Ha ha.

Incidently been having a play checking out insurance and mine has gone up to £390 since I had it in feb. when best was £170. Though I would add an extra to see and went up to £490. Changed it to a HSE which has the extras as standard and was a lot cheaper. So much for extra insurance to cover costs of extras, and surely HSE is more likely to be stolen due to the badge than a LS with extra you probably wouldn't notice anyway. Also, it went to only three possible insurance companies with worst at £2299!!!

Perhaps some people can list who they are insured with and price to the benefit of the other forum members.

Post #103017 23rd May 2011 5:52 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>