Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 8 12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
Xtralarg

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black
Personal experience of winter tyres

Hi guys and gals

I've recently purchased a 59 plate FL2, my main reasons for doing so are that

a) I suspect we will have another horrendous winter.
b) I live 1100ft asl at the top of a hill on a road that the council do not grit.
c) My E Class Mercedes isn't quite upto the mark when it comes to snow, ground clearance and general traction in winter.
d) I have a new RR Sport on order but that won't be ready until at least April.

So with those points in mind I have the pleasure of a FL2 for the next 6 months or so. My question is really aimed at those with the need for and experience of winter tyres. At the moment I have general grabber uhp's fitted, which I believe are not the best in the snow.

Can anyone recommend a particular make and model of winter tyre or can anyone vouch for usp's and save me a few hard earned pennies!

Thanks in advance.

Post #203414 17th Oct 2013 8:41 am
jon_a5

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Santorini Black

I am getting a set for mine this year, the FL2 is a very capable car in the winter and think I would really have to do something silly to get it stuck...

The main advantage to winter tyres is the decrease in stopping distance and general traction on ice. I have a friend that got a set for his Renault megane, transformed the car and really proves you don't *need* a 4x4 for british winter unless you need to get through deep drifts.

There was someone selling a set of wheels and tyres on here that only had a seasons tread left in them, that might be a good option as you can sell them on when you get your sport?

Re brands I have gone for vredistiens, always very happy with these on other cars both for summer tyres and winters. Freelander 2, 2014 Dynamic SD4 Santorini Black

Post #203420 17th Oct 2013 8:54 am
Ninocass

Not on the FL2 but I run winter rubber on my S5 and they are fantastic. Given the other set is a summer tyre the tread pattern on the winters makes a huge difference.

There is actually very little extra cost to running a winter tyre. You need to stump up cash initially for two sets of tyres which is why most people see it as a waste. However when your winter tyres are on your summer tyres are in storage and therefore not wearing down, so they could last almost twice as long.

If storage is a problem there are a few options of "Tyre Hotels"

http://www.kwik-fit.com/winter-tyres-faq.asp

http://www.merityre.co.uk/tyre-hotel.htm

N

Post #203430 17th Oct 2013 9:42 am
Adrian888

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Stornoway Grey

I have used winter tyres on my audi A2 for the past 3 winters and apart from grounding in extremely deep snow the car coped as well as most 4x4's. We also had a Seat with all weather tyres (due to lo annual mileage) which also coped reasonably well too. I use Continentals on the A2 and Kleber's on the Seat although if using all weather again I would go for Vredestein or Goodyear both of which get very good user and independant reviews. As for the FL i have yet to decide what to do this winter. eh tu?

Post #203431 17th Oct 2013 9:45 am
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

I live in the North Pennines where it's not unusual to have 1-2 feet of snow at a time, and although the roads are generally well ploughed and gritted I have to get up a very steep slope to get to the main road. As a result I tend to get snowed in for at least a few days every other year or so, despite always having had a 4x4 in the 18 years we've been here.

Last winter was the first with the FL2, and also the first I'd used winter tyres (Avon Ranger Ice, bought nearly-new via the forum). The combination of FL2 and winter tyres made a big difference, and I was able to get out in conditions I wouldn't even have attempted in the Forester (on normal road tyres) I had before it. Everything has its limits, though, and I still ended up snowed in for about 3 days last winter, but there was over a foot of snow lying on the slope at the time!

The FL2 on normal tyres is still pretty competent but it's a heavy car, which doesn't help stopping ability when it's slippery. Winter tyres give you that extra margin of safety. I now have Grabber ATs as my 'summer' tyres, but I'll still be switching to the Avons for the winter.

Post #203435 17th Oct 2013 9:57 am
Xtralarg

Thanks for the quick responses guys.

There is no doubt that switching to winters is the sensible thing to do. I wonder what the difference between a high end winter tyre such as the conti winter contact or vredastein wintrac extreme compared to mid range or even budget tyres. The difference in price for 235/65/17's can be nearly £100 per corner between high ene and the cheapest available.

Anyone got any experience in this area!

Post #203437 17th Oct 2013 10:12 am
Lurcher

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Orkney Grey

I haven't any experience of winter tyres but like you I live at the top of a hill ( not that far from you) and currently looking at decent tyres , I have narrowed it down to Dunlop 3D SP Winter Sport ( I think ) and just found this mobile tyre fitting company who are saying £136 a corner http://www.tyresonthedrive.com/

Julian

Post #203442 17th Oct 2013 10:42 am
Duncp

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Lago Grey

Not fitted to my FL2, but I Hankook ice bear on my focus st. Never had any issues with them.

Post #203444 17th Oct 2013 10:57 am
Stevie5tapes

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Auto Sumatra Black

Is the UK being ripped of with the price of winter tyres or is the price similar to places such as Germany or Sweeden? Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.
Gone MY2010 Freelander 2 Manual TD4.e S, Alaska White.

Post #203449 17th Oct 2013 11:28 am
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I am impressed with the Avon Ranger Ice I have for the winter. They cost me £576 fitted in Oct '11. Thumbs Up 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #203452 17th Oct 2013 11:32 am
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

Yep, the Avon is an excellent tyre, and Avon is British to boot (although now owned by Cooper).

Post #203453 17th Oct 2013 11:43 am
Lurcher

Just found the Avon Ranger Ice 235 65 17 for £490 fitted http://www.event-tyres.co.uk/tyre-search-results.php

Post #203455 17th Oct 2013 12:02 pm
Xtralarg

Lurcher wrote:
I haven't any experience of winter tyres but like you I live at the top of a hill ( not that far from you) and currently looking at decent tyres , I have narrowed it down to Dunlop 3D SP Winter Sport ( I think ) and just found this mobile tyre fitting company who are saying £136 a corner http://www.tyresonthedrive.com/

Julian

Out of interest how have you come to narrow it down to the dunlops? So far I think that the vredasteins are at the top of my list. They seem to get excellent reviews and are competitively priced at about £120.

Post #203456 17th Oct 2013 12:06 pm
Lurcher

Just reading reviews and tests really , I know there are all a bit subjective , where did you get the quote on the Vredesteins from ?

Julian

Post #203457 17th Oct 2013 12:08 pm
Xtralarg

Well they are £118 delivered from mytyres, however I usually use Oldham tyre and exhaust and they can usually beat or match mytyres but they fit and balance them as well. They are a vredestein agent so I'm hoping they will be able to do a good deal.

Post #203460 17th Oct 2013 12:21 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 8 12345678>