« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Dodgy Fuel Gauge
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
npinks

United Kingdom 
Dodgy Fuel Gauge

Have just had a call from the dealer, they have said they have looked at my car and they need to do a software update to correct the fuel gauge error Confused it reads 3/4 full when brimmed and empty once it gets past half a tank, to me that shows the lower sensor is Censored

my LR Extended Warranty is for Mechanical Repairs not software, so i have to pay, between 1.5 to 4.5 hours labour if i wish them to do it, or they will see if the Land Rover themselves are willing to to do this software update as a goodwill gesture. Rolling Eyes ( this is why I was told when they called)

They have said the bulletin is LTB00566 version 3, anybody heard of this or know that this actually covers my car (maybe have a pdf Whistle )

Sounds to me that they have error on the side of software and a possible fault code (but have said the ream of fault codes non are not fuel related) and the dirty job checking the sensors won't be done till this update is checked first or at least approved

pay for something that's not required and then get sensors fix...... Censored .

Further events down below Wink Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Last edited by npinks on 9th Sep 2013 5:55 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #198585 9th Sep 2013 3:02 pm
majorguk

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Zermatt Silver

Mine did this in the spring, exactly the same.

Team valley land rover fixed installed new senders for £498, which land rover then refunded.

worked ever since no problems

Post #198586 9th Sep 2013 3:17 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

1.5 to 4.5 hours for a software update?! What are they going to do - write the software specially?

Post #198587 9th Sep 2013 3:32 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

When you say they did the same, did you have this software update done and then the senders at the end to actually fix it

i am reluctant to pay for software when to me its defiantly the senders

My guess is i would pay for the software and then the fuel senders on warranty, and be out of pocket due to no refund been given

I questioned the time scale and it was all down to the software download, and then what it will find when installing it, as i'm sure the engineer won't sit there fiddling his thumbs whilst it installs Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #198591 9th Sep 2013 3:57 pm
FL2Voodoo

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

@Npinks

Hi was your fuel guage working ok prior to it going faulty and reading incorrectly ? I will assum for now it was.

I am an Electromechanical engineer/PLC Programmer and one arguments I get into all the time in work with mechanical engineers is when we have some thing fail, is its a software fault. My question to them is has the software changed or been changed recently, this usually involves me plugging the laptop in and veryfying the the last software build date with our back ups, if they tally and the software compares ok with no changes to the program then its usually down to either a machanical component failing or and electrical sensor failing and giving bum readings.

So using the above I would be asking Land Rover has the software changed from when it was working to when it was failing if they say no which they will unless some ones been tinkering it will be a sensor component failiure and thats the road I would go down unless they can prove the software has changed ........... software does not change on its own. HSE TD4 Stornoway Grey ★ Rear Spoiler ★ Black Leather Interior ★ Panoramic Roof ★ Navigation with Bluetooth ★ 19 " Alloys ★ Alpine Stereo 10 Disc Auto changer and Ipod connection and lots of other nice toys ★

Post #198594 9th Sep 2013 4:23 pm
majorguk

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Zermatt Silver

It all started when the gauge would drop off suddenly.

Then over the course of a few weeks when I was putting diesel in it was giving random readings regardless of what was in.

I gave it to the garage and diagnosed the senders but never mentioned anything about software. I have just checked the receipt which mentions senders labour but nothing on software.

Graeme

Post #198595 9th Sep 2013 4:33 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

So having now collected the car, it looks like the bulletin is new 21 Aug 13 iirc

There lies the issue, LR approved Warrenty look at this and say its LRCS department job to fix itas its a known issue, LRCS are saying it not a issue, but a guide to how to fix this common problem the arises

Altering a connector, and then programming the software by the sounds of it to bypass the new wiring(that's how i read it)

So I'm in the middle, with a unfixed car, LRAW Arguing with LRCS on who is oing to be paying

Got to say Farnells, were on the case, speaking with LRCS to try get it resolved ASAP, once I raised it with them that I wanted this sorting

Fingers crossed Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #198606 9th Sep 2013 5:51 pm
Golf nut

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Lago Grey
Erratic fuel gauge thread

Hi Nick, have you had a look at this thread from 14th August. Both myself and James (Jhoulston) had the wiring modification done, no software update or anything else and since then we've had no problems. Hope this helps.
Mike. 2010 GS TD4e manual Lago Grey

Post #198608 9th Sep 2013 6:24 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Yes I have seen that earlier, sounds like the same thing, but your was prior to the LTB so I think it's this that's causing the problem, which one is going to pay up Evil or Very Mad Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #198610 9th Sep 2013 6:32 pm
Golf nut

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Lago Grey

I don't envy you. Good luck. 2010 GS TD4e manual Lago Grey

Post #198611 9th Sep 2013 6:34 pm
Legoman

United Kingdom 

Seems there are two issues.

1.The sensor has screwed up and needs replacement.

2.The software has now been improved and its recommended as an update.

The first you need period, the second may well be advisable, but not necessary.

To give you an example, I had the motor on my fuel filler flap give the ghost. There's a TSB saying the software should be updated and the motor replaced. I replaced the motor myself, cost £21. I did not get the software updated. The last one lasted 5.5 years, so ill be quite happy if the new one does the same.

Post #198612 9th Sep 2013 6:38 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I agree, but the girl on the desk said the warranty only covers mechincal and they won't that side until the software is done

But, on collecting my car, I think she might have the wrong end of the stick, as it sounded to me, the software was to tell the system that the new wiring was there, so needed to be done after the mechanical fix

The conversation sounded positive when listening to Farnells speak to LRCS, but who knows till tomorrow hopefully when they come back to me, sounds like the part is a few quid, the rest is labour Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #198613 9th Sep 2013 6:45 pm
Legoman

United Kingdom 

Yep, the labour charges are a rip off. When I removed the motor from the fuel flap, i didnt have a replacement part, so the purpose was to allow the car to be filled up basically. I had to go in via the wheel arch. took me an hour, which is shorter than what LR quote for.

However, when i had the new part, it took me literally 5 minutes to remove the flap assembly and replace it. There was no need to go under the wheel arch that time because I could cut the rubber and remove from the area of the fuel flap and the replacement just pushed in and locked. Rolling Eyes

Alex was suggesting the TSB advocated an update, but I am sure its not necessary, so just replace.

Anyway, it just goes to prove the TSB err on the side of safety, but in a lot of instances aren't needed.

Post #198619 9th Sep 2013 6:59 pm
pab1

Hello All, I have recently upgraded from a Freelander to a Freelander 2. I have the same type of fuel sensor problem. I have read through various posts and threads and deduce that the problem is either sensors or the need for a hard wire connector to the fuel pump. Can anyone decide which is the solution for me?
What happens is that the tank needs to be kept topped up over half to be free of problems. At just under half full, the gauge drops to empty and the usual warnings come on. If I ignore it as I know there is half a tank left, the engine goes into a limp home mode as it thinks that there is no fuel. On another occasion, the gaugue dropped to zero but then came back to the correct reading, there was no change in performance.
So, do we have a sensore problem or would the hard wiring be the solution please?

Post #198833 11th Sep 2013 9:55 am
SakoQuad

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Originally the only solution was to replace the sender units but more recently the hard wiring to pump seems to have been the answer and is working for those on here who have it applied. It's certainly a cheaper solution as I understand it!.

Post #198841 11th Sep 2013 10:35 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>