Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Replace Gen3 Haldex with Gen4?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
tdithomas

Norway 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Rimini Red
Replace Gen3 Haldex with Gen4?

Hi again

I am about to change my rear diff with a brand new one. Bought a complete new one from a breaker in UK who claimed it was for 2007-2009 mod. Stupid me did not study the pictures and just found out today that the new diff with Haldex is equipped with Gen4 and not Gen3.

Can I use Gen4 on my 2007mod or do I need to mount my old and very well used Gen3 to my new diff?

Post #198181 6th Sep 2013 8:56 pm
tdithomas

Is my English really that bad Laughing

Post #198219 7th Sep 2013 10:32 am
alex_pescaru

If you don't have the VIN between 8Hxxx799 and 8Hxxx999, so in a range of 200 cars, when they've made the change, then it's incompatible... As you have the VIN as 7Hxxxxxx... Very Happy

But,

In the name of experimentation, I for one, I'd take the Gen4's electronic module and crawl under the car and plug it in in place of the Gen3. Just the module and I wouldn't plug the Gen3 pump in Gen4 electronics as they are incompatible. If the car's communicating with it and recognize it and you can read it's data, you may still have a chance. Of course, plugging in just the module will throw some errors, but it's a starting point.
Again, this is what I'd do, anything that you'll do is at your own risk and please don't hold me responsible if you broke something... Laughing

Post #198223 7th Sep 2013 10:49 am
tdithomas

Thanx Alex

I have removed the complete diff with Haldex and halfshafts now. I think I will take the risk and mount the complete new diff with Gen4 haldex and electronics and not plug in the el-connection. Then take a trip to my stealer and ask them to try and upgrade the controls to a Gen4 system

Refering to post 16 in this http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/f9/freelande...003-2.html discussion

Only problem now is to remove the blody halfshafts from the diff housing without the special tools.....

Last edited by tdithomas on 7th Sep 2013 1:52 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #198243 7th Sep 2013 12:06 pm
alex_pescaru

Internally the G3 and G4 are totally different matter... Other electronics, other hardware, other pressures, other sensors and principles, etc.

Post #198263 7th Sep 2013 1:40 pm
tdithomas

Thanx again

I know the units are totaly different but:

Physical measurments are the same
Plug is the same
Still communicating on CAN bus

So I was hoping somebody had tried to fit a Gen4 unit to a Gen3 car and updated the software to communicate with the Gen 4 unit. Long shot perhaps.... Rolling Eyes

Post #198280 7th Sep 2013 2:37 pm
alex_pescaru

Hmm...
The whole Traction Control, Terrain Response and co. is a mix work between engine, ABS, Haldex, TR switch and so on. The Haldex, I believe, is taking a lots of its information on CAN from the ABS. And this is how it should be because when ABS is working for TR and/or traction control, Haldex is also working or not.
But, I didn't saw until now on the dealer tools a possibility to update the existing firmware on an ABS module. Just the functions for replacing/installing a new module.
You may need to replace the ABS ECU too... It's just a supposition, I didn't work on the issue and neither studied the thing in detail... So I may be wrong...

Post #198336 7th Sep 2013 8:18 pm
tdithomas

My car is now fitted with the new diff and Haldex Gen4. Need some more oil for the diff so no test drive untill tomorrow evening. Started the car briefly with the connector for the Haldex not mounted. As suspected I got transmission fault and special programs off but no limp home and reduced engine performance.

Hopefully I can get new SW loaded later this week and se if the car accepts the Gen4 Haldex unit. If not I will recon the old one and swap them with the diff stll in the car.

Is it safe to drive with the Haldex electrically disconnected?

Post #198507 8th Sep 2013 7:28 pm
alex_pescaru

Good for you! Bravo! A man who isn't afraid to experiment.

Yes, the car could be driven, as long as it's in straight line and not too many differences in speed between axles. In fact, the Haldex is slowly disabled as the car gains speed, BUT the internals are "greased" by the electric pump, pump that once at several seconds (about 15-20s) is working for about 5 seconds in order to maintain the pressure readily available in the accumulator, even if there is no need.

I for one I'd check the schematics between the G3 and G4 and if the connector pins and signals are the same, try to connect it and see what's happening. Who knows, maybe the CAN bus messages are the same and it will work OK and the incompatibility is only a "legend"...

Post #198508 8th Sep 2013 7:48 pm
Rian

Germany 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey

was the change to haldex gen 4 successfull. What has to be changed in software?

br
Rian

Post #209428 30th Nov 2013 7:55 pm
tdithomas

Sorry for the late feedback

We was no able to make the car accept the new diff, tried all kind of tricks with lr software without success. I mounted the old one and everything was fine aganin Cool

Car is sold as, I now drive a company car

Post #219018 9th Mar 2014 1:39 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1