« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Modifying Sat Nav DVD
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
S555

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Modifying Sat Nav DVD

As a research project, I want to try modifying the Sat Nav DVD content before burning it to a new dual layer DVD. Change the text, the voices etc.

I am fairly handy with computers, it's my trade, but my first attempt at just copying the disk ended in failure. The car wont read it. If I can't burn my changes, I am not going to get very far.

Is there some copy protection at play, or did I just mess it up?

I dont want to keep trying as blank dual layer DVDs are like hen's teeth!

I know this sounds dodgy, but trust me, it isn't!

Cheers

Post #102335 16th May 2011 10:09 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I believe the format the DVD are in is un crackable, in the years it's been out there I don't think anyone has managed to add anything like speed cameras, so my guess is that changing voices will be even harder Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #102337 16th May 2011 10:21 pm
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

npinks wrote:
I believe the format the DVD are in is un crackable

More likely no-one is really that bothered as "nothing" is uncrackable. If there was serious money to be made it would have been cracked by now. 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #102347 17th May 2011 7:12 am
Martin
Site Admin & Owner

United Kingdom 

The format is the KIWI format, which although stated to be an open format - all the documentation is in Japanese Sad

Post #102358 17th May 2011 10:10 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

all software programming is a foreign language to me, but I do know about chickens if I can be of any help Confused At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #102363 17th May 2011 10:54 am
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

chicken george wrote:
all software programming is a foreign language to me, but I do know about chickens if I can be of any help Confused

I am a programmer (so must be fluent in foreign languages Thumbs Up )

But must be honest I know nothing about "rearing" chickens Confused

Is that how you get more of them? Whistle 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #102370 17th May 2011 11:40 am
leadfootlambert

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Santorini Black
Re: Modifying Sat Nav DVD

I for one would be interested to see how you get on, especially in areas like adding useful POI like speed cameras. In truth I find the factory fitted Sat Nav in the Free2 to be lacking in so many areas.

First of all the touch screen is a dangerous distraction, especially that fiddly zoom control. Why it was never integrated on to a button you can feel without taking your eyes of the road, is beyond me!

I have forced myself to go through the 8 or so screen presses (you have to do to select a route) while still stationery, but Zooming is something you must constantly do in use.

Likewise the girl telling me there are traffic problems on a 300 mile route is pointless, if she does not also say “in 8 Miles there is stationery traffic” Like VDO based systems do.

Lastly would it be so hard if when you stopped to get petrol half way to the destination, the system asked you “if you wanted to continue navigating” like other systems do?

Now maybe one of you knowledgeable gentlemen will tell me I am wrong and there is a later software to fix most of it, but somehow I doubt it. Confused

S555 wrote:
As a research project, I want to try modifying the Sat Nav DVD content before burning it to a new dual layer DVD. Change the text, the voices etc.

I am fairly handy with computers, it's my trade, but my first attempt at just copying the disk ended in failure. The car wont read it. If I can't burn my changes, I am not going to get very far.

Is there some copy protection at play, or did I just mess it up?

I dont want to keep trying as blank dual layer DVDs are like hen's teeth!

I know this sounds dodgy, but trust me, it isn't!

Cheers

Post #102389 17th May 2011 5:03 pm
russben

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Santorini Black

I'd be interested in a simpler system. I find it so complicated to set a route or cancel it again. Why can't it be as simple as a T*M T*M? Also speed/Safety cameras would be good. Poke it, Poke it, make it do it again!!

Gone - 2008 Freel2 HSE Santorini Black
Hello - 2010 RRS TDV6 3.0 HSE Santorini Black

Post #102391 17th May 2011 5:24 pm
Biscay

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Biscay Blue

Hi, just wanted to know if anyone had cracked this satnav. I would prefer to load a completely different system because my experience of using it has shown it to be next to useless. Infact I havn't completed a journey using it yet as it always takes me a route that is both longer and takes more time. These are my experiences so far:

Three routes are normally all the same and on trying it, on routes i know, has on one journey avoided the A50 even though shown on map and on another given three routes all for same time and distances when i managed to do it myself for less miles and time.

Why does it give three routes that you can not check the way till you have chosen one and none of them are shortesy or quickest?

Why does it continuiosly try to take you off the main road when it is both shortest and quickest?

When coming back from Scotland it tried to take me off the A1 and through Newcastle city centre and then down M1 past Derby to bring me back up A50 again.

Just coming back from wales I checked each route step by step (which meant i had to choose each one first, cancel guidance and then go back and search again). Chose a route which was to take me via Wrexham. Set off happy with the route but noticed it was going off route. Checked step by step again and found it was taking me miles out of my way to telford, cannock then back north again to derby. It also kept taking me off the A5 to go through a village and then rejoin.

We ended up turning it off and getting the map out.

And why does that women tell me there is stationary traffic ahead on a 150 mile journey without saying where. I didnt change route but never saw any traffic at all.

So unless someone knows how to cure these issues, or i can install another system, then it will be back to sticking the Tom Tom on the dash as the onboard wont be used again.

Post #107939 17th Jul 2011 11:48 am
Biscay

Oh and I nearly forgot. When entering a postcode it doesn't ask for a house number? Entered a post code whilst away and it took me onto a dual carridge way and informed me that I was at my destination. I'd hate to be their postman!!

Post #107958 17th Jul 2011 3:44 pm
ad210358

England 

Mine asks for a post code on most roads, the only ones it fails to ask is if it is a road where the houses are not numbered.

Post #107961 17th Jul 2011 5:01 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Mine works on post codes and house numbers though some roads don't have the numbers

Tbh I have no issues with the satnav, just look at what way it's wanting to take you and if it's going the long way round set a waypoint on route Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #107962 17th Jul 2011 5:07 pm
ad210358

England 

My main gripe is when you set a destination, it chooses the route, if you deviate off the given route it cannot seem to reroute to the destination, but it tries to find a route that will get you back to the original route which will not nessaceraly be the quickest.

Post #107963 17th Jul 2011 5:31 pm
razmabaz

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

ad210358 wrote:
My main gripe is when you set a destination, it chooses the route, if you deviate off the given route it cannot seem to reroute to the destination, but it tries to find a route that will get you back to the original route which will not nessaceraly be the quickest.

I've not known one SatNav that doesn't do that... TomTom, Navtec, Mio et al. Freelander 1 TD4 HSE - gone, 2 weeks after the Cat.Converter!
Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto MY08 - Santorini black

Post #107964 17th Jul 2011 6:20 pm
Biscay

My main issue was even after me choosing a route it went off on its own way anyway.

I have just been playing with it and you can make it avoid roads.

The quickest and shortist way from my house to Stoke is to turn right at end of the road, through the villages of Newton, repton and willington to the A50. It wanted me to go left through Burton so I made it avoid the bridge. It then asked me to go through Stapenhill and back through burton, which is even longer. I set it up to avoid this so it took me the correct way but then avoided the A50, went back through the small village of Egginton and back to Burton. It wasnt to iset it to avoid the lane to egginton that it realised the A50 was there. At last 11 miles and 30 mins shorter.

I'm sorry but it is really Censored .

Post #107966 17th Jul 2011 6:35 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>