Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > New door?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Eleri92

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver
New door?

Was wondering whether anyone had an idea of how much it would cost to have a new front passenger door fitted and sprayed? I've gone and stupidly written my door off after getting too close to a wall that was hidden in the hedge! I'm anticipating that its not going to be cheap, but need to work out whether its worth my no claims and heightened premiums if I were to go through insurance :/

Post #194734 12th Aug 2013 11:47 pm
carriec

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

You may have some luck contacting this ebay seller - she seems to have most of a FL2 in silver for sale...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2009-LANDROVER-F...1c35101d33

Post #194749 13th Aug 2013 7:44 am
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

You could get it re skinned if the door frame hasnt been damaged, thats another alternative, you have to cost up whether its cheaper to fit a whole new door or the cheaper skin, the labour involved in skinning it, depends on how much the garage charges for its labour, sometimes works out less cost, a whole door is quite expensive compared to just the skin?

Post #194752 13th Aug 2013 7:52 am
fredastaire

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

I would recommend the route of buying a second hand door every time.
Nearly all bodypanels today are pressed from electro plate galvanised steel sheet (zintec is one trade name), its the reason we don't get cars rusting away so quick.
Reskinning a door requires some grinding off of the old skin before bending over and hammering on the new skin. The sealer bead that covers the lip cannot ever match the aesthetics of the original. There is also the risk of the door being twisted as it is assembled with the skin.
the second hand door route gives you the choice to carefully inspect the door before you buy to check for previous damage, if its OK it will be straight and will be an easy bolt on job for the panel man.
Buy the chosen door, sit it down on a piece of carpet under the bottom edge to prevent chipping the edge to bare steel (avoids more rust); then strip the door 100% before going to the panel shop. All the parts you take off like locks, door mirrors, electrics etc can be listed and sold on fleabay; you will be surprised at how much you can get back from your initial purchase.
The other route is to strip your door for bits and mask off as needed the second hand door but it will always look second hand that way.
Ive had over 40 years of rebuilding late model write off cars and comment from first hand experience having done the above many times
All the best from Fred 2010GS Auto ex Celeb, Santorini Black, 2011 facelift , spoiler, spats, mudflaps, LED footwell lamps, Witter detach,
Other cars:-
1958 & 1959 Austin J40 Pedal Cars under restoration (I make many J40 parts)
If you have an Austin J40 or Pathfinder Pedal Car looking for a new home pls PM me.
2009 Meriva

Post #194756 13th Aug 2013 9:03 am
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

carriec wrote:
You may have some luck contacting this ebay seller - she seems to have most of a FL2 in silver for sale...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2009-LANDROVER-F...1c35101d33
its blue.

Post #194764 13th Aug 2013 11:11 am
carriec

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Unnecessary quote removed

I obviously need to get my eyes tested - I thought it was silver Embarassed

Post #194765 13th Aug 2013 11:32 am
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

You can get silver blue in some shades though Cool

Post #194781 13th Aug 2013 1:34 pm
fredastaire

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

To add further notes to my previous...
If going down the second hand door route you do need to re-use your original wiring harness, module and components to ensure compatibility and correct coding.
Further if changing the door yourself you need to take off a battery lead, wait say 10 mins, then touch the battery positive connector to the negative connector before unclipping the door harness plugs.
Failure to follow this procedure may trigger a fault on the airbag circuit needing a visit to main dealer to reset.
Kind regards from Fred 2010GS Auto ex Celeb, Santorini Black, 2011 facelift , spoiler, spats, mudflaps, LED footwell lamps, Witter detach,
Other cars:-
1958 & 1959 Austin J40 Pedal Cars under restoration (I make many J40 parts)
If you have an Austin J40 or Pathfinder Pedal Car looking for a new home pls PM me.
2009 Meriva

Post #194842 14th Aug 2013 8:56 am
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

How bad is the dent and have you broken the paint? Amazing what they can do with paintless dent removal.... Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #194964 14th Aug 2013 10:50 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I went through my insurance with mine as I didn't want any short cuts.

Yes I had my excess to pay which was a pain, but my premium didn't go up when I renewed three weeks later, and the renewal did take in to account the claim.

This way I had everything new, and the car looked perfect again. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #195036 15th Aug 2013 3:55 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1