Home > Technical > Acceleration Vibration From Rear
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Dave007

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black
Acceleration Vibration From Rear

Hi Guys,

Currently experiencing a scenario whereby when accelerating at speed in high gears, there is a low hum / vibration from the rear axle / load space area for a few seconds then it disappears once increased speed is achieved. If I switch to sport (Command Shift) or accelerate a little gentler while at speed there is no sign of the symptoms.

Very similar to accelerating in a normal 2WD car in too high a gear - vibration / humming disappears once revs reach high enough to begin accelerating.

Ive checked the spare for tightness in the well, exhaust security etc.

Whilst driving at constant low, medium and high speeds or around town all is fine, just the symptoms appear when motorway overtaking and such like.

Any ideas??? Its booked in for a dealer visit next week - additional post regarding this to follow.

Many thanks for any advice as warranty is weeks away from expiry. MY2010 TD4 HSE Santorini Black, 19" Alloys, Almond Leather, Lux Pack, Rear Spoiler, Adaptive Xenons

Post #194660 12th Aug 2013 6:17 pm
Dave007

Just thought I would give this a nudge - any takers for some advice please? MY2010 TD4 HSE Santorini Black, 19" Alloys, Almond Leather, Lux Pack, Rear Spoiler, Adaptive Xenons

Post #194884 14th Aug 2013 3:51 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

not something i have felt, but i wonder if a bearing is going in a rear wheel, the diff or a catching handbrake or something, which is drowned out faster you go Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #194889 14th Aug 2013 4:07 pm
EYorkshire

I have always had a resonance sound when passing through at 2000 rpm while accelerating, more pronounced under load. I just live with it now as it doesn't bother me but dealer replaced the exhaust last year making no difference' then LR factory guy went with me for a ride and pronounced it to be 'characteristic of the car', it was a 'harmonic' that could not be tuned out.
I also drove other SD4's as a comparison and some had to a lesser degree and some didn't, anyway it may be something loose underneath creating a resonance inside of the car.

Best advice I can offer Laughing

Post #194890 14th Aug 2013 4:10 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

At a guess it's the rear differential pinion bearing, starts off as you've described and slowly gets more persistent.

Post #194891 14th Aug 2013 4:40 pm
Stubbenoldgit

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Lux Auto Zermatt Silver

Sounds very similar to what I had.

Noticeably noisier when accelerating at motorway speeds or maintaining speed up any decent hill when fairly well loaded. Maintain speed on the level and it all quietened down.

Got it checked out by my local indy at the pre-first MOT and before the mfr warranty ran out. He diagnosed as diff whining like a good un. Low level diff repair done by the dealer under warranty.

Hadn't noticed how noisy it had got, afterwards back to how it was when bought it.

Post #194975 14th Aug 2013 11:52 pm
Dave007

Cheers guys - a raft of advice as ever.

Definitely a resonance type noise from the boot. I'll get it checked when it goes in next week - having the chafed seat belts changed. MY2010 TD4 HSE Santorini Black, 19" Alloys, Almond Leather, Lux Pack, Rear Spoiler, Adaptive Xenons

Post #195034 15th Aug 2013 3:30 pm
Dave007

Hi guys,

Wife just got back from dealers - car is out of warranty by a few days. Where on earth has 6 months gone???
They are looking at it provisionally for free anyway and will get back to us later today with a way forward.

In other news, changing seat belts which were under warranty (starting to fray, especially the drivers) - these were on back order and checking the oil as its gone through a litre in 6 months. No signs of leaking on the drive and its only done a few thousand miles since we had it.

Worrying times ahead - is this just the start of problems out of warranty and expensive repair bills? MY2010 TD4 HSE Santorini Black, 19" Alloys, Almond Leather, Lux Pack, Rear Spoiler, Adaptive Xenons

Post #195776 20th Aug 2013 2:28 pm
ad210358

England 

If it is the Diff Bearings, depending on the dealer it will cost from £400 to £600. Get your dealer to get on to LR for a gesture towards itm you will get at least 33% towards it if you are out by a few days, maybe more if you have LR history. Get the cost first from the dealer before you suggest the LR goodwill gesture, don't want the dealer to get it Wink p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #195777 20th Aug 2013 3:07 pm
Dave007

As previously diagnosed by you knowledgeable bunch, Diff Bearings need replacing Sad

Spoke to dealer and they have already contacted LR on our behalf to sort out who's paying without even mentioning it to them, so that's reassuring I guess.

Seat belts changed OK and the oil consumption is just a characteristic of the engine apparently.

Wife is distraught at such a repair bill so early into ownership.

Update to follow..... MY2010 TD4 HSE Santorini Black, 19" Alloys, Almond Leather, Lux Pack, Rear Spoiler, Adaptive Xenons

Post #195787 20th Aug 2013 5:15 pm
ad210358

England 

It is getting very common now, it was posted very recently that LR are fully aware of this. Mine went at 20k, it is thought to be a problem of over torqueing during assembly of the Diff, its between certain Vin numbers that LR are having this problem. p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #195789 20th Aug 2013 5:25 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

Dave007 wrote:
... the oil consumption is just a characteristic of the engine apparently.

Hmm. Not of mine it's not!

Post #195791 20th Aug 2013 5:37 pm
EYorkshire

Dave007 wrote:
oil consumption is just a characteristic of the engine apparently.

That doesn't quite explain why mine never needs a top up between 15,000 mile services, it has now done 39,500 miles and I still have the unopened 1 litre bottles they leave with the car after a service. Confused

.... and so far my diff is quiet Thumbs Up hope it gets sorted for you cheaply.

Post #195794 20th Aug 2013 6:15 pm
ad210358

England 

You've still got the ear plugs from Coniston in Whistle p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #195797 20th Aug 2013 6:42 pm
EYorkshire

Impossible, you know they kept falling out every time I fired the gun Laughing

Post #195832 20th Aug 2013 11:07 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>