Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Rolling with laughter FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #301574 28th Jun 2016 6:33 pm
DeeJayCee

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

archie98 wrote:
Does anyone know what the black gunk is I had my filter and oil changed last week but he didn't know either

As a closed system it must contain metal particles caused by wear of metal to metal surfaces in the pump/gears etc. It may also be a breakdown of the oil through heat and general age where the oil molecules get broken down into shorter chains - but I am not an automotive or oil engineer so any other informed comment is welcome! 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto - Stornoway Grey - Hers (His, really)
2002 Audi S8 4.2 Quattro - Ming Blue - Definitely His

Post #301578 28th Jun 2016 7:14 pm
alex_pescaru

archie98
Wear and tear, but mostly oil additives.
I've posted about this some time ago....
For reference look for SSM67617 or see below:

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by alex_pescaru on 7th May 2019 8:27 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #301579 28th Jun 2016 7:17 pm
Yorky Bob

Easy test then. Grab the gunk on a strip down add to old oil and heat up in the lab.

Meanwhile in cold weather you are getting a Censored Haldex and drive train as it grabs and shudders off and on like mine did from new. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #301581 28th Jun 2016 8:11 pm
austen_fl2

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

DeeJayCee wrote:
archie98 wrote:
Does anyone know what the black gunk is I had my filter and oil changed last week but he didn't know either

As a closed system it must contain metal particles caused by wear of metal to metal surfaces in the pump/gears etc. It may also be a breakdown of the oil through heat and general age where the oil molecules get broken down into shorter chains - but I am not an automotive or oil engineer so any other informed comment is welcome!

Dealers are useless I'm afraid, they talk rubbish all the time. Had a customer n a few weeks ago whose main dealer said there are no common faults with the rear diff!! Another dealer telling a customer they need a new trsnsfer box, haldex and diff when all it needed was a haldex service!! What ever the sludge is I can confirm that it causes failures through it causing blockages and poor pump performance. How do I know this?? Spending hours and hours rebuilding these units, and the fact that in alot of cases haldex issues arise after a diff change, due to the haldex just been refitted with no cleaning or filter changes, new fluid goes in and the concentration of this gunk, blocks them up and destroys them.

I cant reaally explain why some units are cleaner than others at double the mileage, but the only correlation I can see is that vehicles than a just used tootle to the shops and back seem far more likely to be filthy than cars that are hammered and use there 4x4 capabilities. Done a car today with 60k miles, pretty damn mucky, just done one with 160k and very very clean. www.bellengineering.co.uk

Post #301589 28th Jun 2016 10:00 pm
archie98

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Thank you for your reply it was a independent guy who did the work he spoke to the main dealer in Chesterfield and they told him that they had never done one my car has done almost 60k

Post #301608 29th Jun 2016 10:53 am
DeeJayCee

The Haldex unit is not on the service schedule for Landrover (but, according to Austen_fl2) IS for VAG cars. See my discussion with Taggarts Land Rover earlier in this thread. As I discussed with Austen when getting mine done, if it has a filter is an acknowledgment by the designer that there will be stuff which needs to be filtered out to avoid deterioration/failure and so, if there is a filter, then it will need to be cleaned/replaced at some appropriaate interval. 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto - Stornoway Grey - Hers (His, really)

Post #301609 29th Jun 2016 11:21 am
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

OK, I am convinced! Booked in for Austen's magic next week! Thumbs Up

edit: Now done - Haldex oil & filter plus rear diff oil change @ 71500 miles. Kings Arms not bad either!

Bob 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #301613 29th Jun 2016 12:15 pm
djburns

France 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey

+1 for Bell Engineering. Just had my 2011 Fr 2 haldex oil and filter change at 95000 miles. Loads of black gunk. Great service and very helpful.

Post #304468 13th Aug 2016 6:38 pm
yorkshirepudding

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

My car's mileage is around 65k and was thinking of having the Haldex serviced purely as a preventative measure.

That said I do occasionally get a severe jolt when setting off if I've been stuck in traffic doing a lot of stopping and starting. It's akin to the jerking you get if you stall a manual. Luckily I don't do much city centre driving. Could this be the Haldex?

A few questions fro Austen at Bell. How much is a Haldex service? how long does it take? and do you have weekend appointments as I don't live locally?

Thanks

Post #304549 14th Aug 2016 9:42 pm
Yorky Bob

Yorkshire Pudding, its not on the doorstep but I traveled down from Gods Own and made a mini break of it. Nice village, stopover, beers and good curry house. View it as that and the Haldex service by Austen is good value. Or alternatively enter Leeds, pay Stealer prices and go home not knowing if the apprentice had interest in anything more than looking for a Pokemon. Yawn FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #304551 14th Aug 2016 9:58 pm
yorkshirepudding

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Hi Yorky, just looking at hotels in the Bewdley/Kiddermister area area as I will probably make a weekend of it.

Perhaps I can sell it to the wife as a romantic weekend away for our wedding anniversary! Whistle

Post #304553 14th Aug 2016 10:14 pm
RealBeale

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

Well I have a receipt for a new diff supplied and fitted on my I6 by Land Rover for a whopping £8000. Yes you read that right. No mention of haldex or it's filter being changed . Now I'm going to be thinking about it failing every time I drive it. This was by a stealer , sorry dealer in London. The previous owner threw thousands at it having silly things done that never justified the money charged. She must have had money to burn.

Post #304559 15th Aug 2016 4:00 am
CliveS

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

I can also certainly vouch for the excellent service provided by Austen at Bell Engineering, having had mine done a few weeks ago. Bow down

There was a fair bit of gunge in the filter which would have been causing low oil pressure and the resultant "Transmission Fault, Reduced Traction" messages which I'm happy to say are now a thing of the past. Very Happy

My other concern, having read up on the faults I was getting, was that ignoring it could quite possibly result in the eventual demise of the pump motor and more expense, I'm happy to say the problem was sorted in good time Thumbs Up

Edited to add; my FL2 was on about 95'00 miles and 8 years old when the Haldex was serviced.

Post #304567 15th Aug 2016 9:38 am
DeeJayCee

It will be money well spent and the village where Bell Engineering are based is delightful and its worth making a weekend of it.

Reale Beale: The dealers wont service the Haldex as, unbelievably, it is not listed in their schedules as a serviceable item. (see my reported conversation with a LR dealer earlier in this thread) but as I stated earlier, it has a filter which was presumably fitted by Haldex to attempt to keep the oil clear of particulates (minute metal particles from bearing wear etc) as well as unwanted oil residues as the oil breaks down through age/heat etc. Therefore, the filter should be changed/cleaned etc at some interval. We do it for the engine/gearbox (altho' thats another story!) so why should the Haldex unit be exempt? 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto - Stornoway Grey - Hers (His, really)

Post #304571 15th Aug 2016 10:26 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 9 of 24 <123 ... 8910 ... 222324>