Home > General > Driving in France
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
papa smurf

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black
Driving in France

Hi Guys,

Ok now I have a nice car,so to save money I've decided to do the driving holiday to south of France,wife gets a break by the pool I get to go carp fishing.Plus the car gets a good long run.

Now what do I need to worry about and keep my eye on? and also on the ferry is it classed as a car or some thing else..

Any help and guidance would be great.. Iain

Post #193027 29th Jul 2013 8:27 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Drive on the right! Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #193032 29th Jul 2013 8:36 pm
chrisr1806

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I'm in Calais at the moment after 2 weeks in Spain. I have spent 3 days driving over 300 miles a day and my FL2 has been faultless. If you want to drive through France, be prepared to part with a fair amount of money for French tolls. I've payed nearly 100€ but the roads are as smooth as silk. Bow down

I went on the overnight ferry to Bilbao, I would highly recommend doing the same and spending a little time in Spain aswell before entering France. I payed for an average car on the Bilbao ferry but I don't know if its any different on Dover Calais ferry, as I'm going on the Euro Tunnel tomorrow.

I'm sure that somebody can shed some light. Thumbs Up

Post #193033 29th Jul 2013 8:38 pm
papa smurf

apart from driving on the wrong side of the road..reading some were i need to get my owen breathalyser ..I don't even drink.. Big Cry Iain

Post #193034 29th Jul 2013 8:39 pm
chrisr1806

I think that law has passed now, I didn't get one. You need a warning triangle, a spare bulb kit and some high visibility jackets. Thumbs Up

Post #193035 29th Jul 2013 8:40 pm
papa smurf

ok I just spoke to P & O there saying that are fl2 are small vans..that cant be right is it? Iain

Post #193037 29th Jul 2013 8:42 pm
chrisr1806

Sorry I can't help you there, hopefully someone can comment.

Have a look at the AA's website, it has all the advice you should need. Thumbs Up

Post #193040 29th Jul 2013 8:45 pm
papa smurf

Thanks guys Bow down looking forward to nice long drive ..Hassle free I hope.. Iain

Post #193043 29th Jul 2013 8:48 pm
chrisr1806

When are you planning on going?

Post #193044 29th Jul 2013 8:48 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

papa smurf wrote:
ok I just spoke to P & O there saying that are fl2 are small vans..that cant be right is it?

Freelander 2 is under 1.8m high and therefore is classed as a normal car, at least it was 2 weeks ago when I last used P&O.

Post #193047 29th Jul 2013 8:50 pm
ad210358

England 

Breathalyser failed to get through as the ones they advised were not reliable, so that's on the back burner.
Hi Vis for each member in the vehicle and need to be kept in the door pocket not in the boot.
Warning Triangle
Spare Bulbs are not a legal requirement, just an advisory, as they can stop you with a lamp out and insist it being repaired immediately else it can be towed away. Bit silly really as one well known French Manufacturer produces a vehicle which apparently requires four hours labour to change a headlight bulb.
First Aid kit is also an advisory.
All vehicle documents and a letter of authorisation to take the vehicle abroad if you are not the registered owner.
No speed camera locations on a Sat Nav. p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #193049 29th Jul 2013 8:59 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Me and a few friends rode our motorbikes to Lake Garda a couple of weeks ago and met up with our wives in Sirmione on the lake. Okay, we went through Switzerland for the mountain roads but very roughly we each spent £75 on tunnel fees, £300 on fuel, £100 on tolls and £400 on hotels and food and thats not including what we spent on the stay in Sirmione so nearly £900 each. Our wives got there for £112 each!

Spent roughly the same last year too doing the same thing to Monaco and staying in Nice.

Going out to the in-laws villa in Spain in September for a week. Fancied driving there but 2 days to get there and 2 days back would leave us with jst 3 days there. Ferry, fuel, tolls and stopovers would cost over £1000 but two flights and a car for a week - £260 for the two of us! Bro in law is out there now and he drove in a people carrier but for six people staying for a month it is cost effective for him. It all depends on circumstances.

One thing this type of trip isn't is cheap so if you are doing it, do it for the pleasure and experience but if you think it will be cheaper, think again! Mind you, its just as expensive for two to go as its for one and if you need to get a load of fishing gear out there it starts to become the only way. It really is great driving in France and the roads are fantastic. You can avoid toll roads but you'll spend more on fuel and extra stopovers. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #193053 29th Jul 2013 9:05 pm
Hinj

2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Ipanema Sand

Don't forget your headlamp deflectors and fit them before you get on the ferry as they have been known to go around checking them. MY 2013 TD4 XS Manual, Ipanema Sand. Cold Climate Pack, Spare Wheel, Side Mouldings, Armrest Pack, Rear Camera, Detachable Tow Bar, Spoiler.
Gone. My 2011 TD4 GS Manual, Cold Climate Pack, Front Sensors, Spare Wheel, Side Mouldings.

Post #193055 29th Jul 2013 9:10 pm
chrisr1806

Fitted them. Thumbs Up

Do they actually do anything? They seem pretty useless to me and are a pain to get off again. Confused

Post #193057 29th Jul 2013 9:12 pm
Hinj

2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Ipanema Sand

I've fitted them for the past 8 years and as it's June when we are in France and it is light until 10 o'clock I haven't ever used them but at least it keeps the French police happy. To get the adhesive off I use Sticky Stuff remover. It is citric acid based and does not affect the acrylic plastic. MY 2013 TD4 XS Manual, Ipanema Sand. Cold Climate Pack, Spare Wheel, Side Mouldings, Armrest Pack, Rear Camera, Detachable Tow Bar, Spoiler.
Gone. My 2011 TD4 GS Manual, Cold Climate Pack, Front Sensors, Spare Wheel, Side Mouldings.

Post #193066 29th Jul 2013 9:38 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>