« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Australia & New Zealand > Poor Land Rover Service
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
wasssup

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Lago Grey
Poor Land Rover Service

I have had my Freelander 2 since new, over 4 years, it has been a great vehicle, after my recent experience with Land Rover Service though, I would struggle to spend another single dollar of my own money on another Land Rover after the appalling service I received from a dealer in Perth, and the subsequent response from Land Rover Australia. Basically I gave Land Rover Australia a chance to respond, in my mind, I got a ‘we couldn’t care less’ letter. So im posting my experience online Very Happy Don’t get me wrong, I love my freelander2, but the people behind the brand have some coaching required.

- Land Rover Australia’s response was to complain to the Service Manager, what good would that do? The Service Manager was the one providing the appalling service

- All Land Rover had to do was arrange a refund of the $322 dollars I outlaid for ‘diagnostics’, they have already lost two new car sales as a result, such a short sighted approach from Land Rover Australia.

- The short version of the story below is, I collected my vehicle after Lander Rover Service couldn’t find the fault after 3 weeks. after 20mins on Google, I decide the EGR valve is faulty, after finding out a replacement in Australia is $450 +GST, I order a genuine one online for the grand sum of $125 and install It myself – this show the incompetence of Land Rover and I fixed at home with my toolset what they couldn’t even diagnose in 3 weeks with a workshop.

Here is a timeline of the debacle:

Day 1:I drop my vehicle to Land Rover Service for repair (after already explaining the issue on the phone) I explain the issue to a second person for a second time

Later in the day at 4pm I receive a phone call the the problem (no power on take off) cannot be replicated, I ask can the car stay overnight for more testing the the next day as the vehicle is dangerous to drive when it occurs, (imagine pulling out of an intersection suddenly with no power, think monash highway 2011 when a VW owner was killed with a suspected sudden loss of power from the vehicle being the cause)

Day 2:I receive a phone call from Land Rover Service at 3pm, I am advised that they still cannot replicate the issue, I am advised to come collect the vehicle. I collect the vehicle, I barely drive 500m before I am presented with no power and the car stuck in an intersection. I limp the vehicle back to Land Rover, The workshop foreman comes to look at the vehicle, he can observes the vehicle has no power, and explains he plugged the computer in and found no faults, I have to remind him several times, that even though the computer has no faults, clearly the is a fault with the vehicle. The foreman continues to tell me the computer is telling him no faults which is getting increasingly frustrating when he is sitting in a vehicle that has no power!

I live no-where near the dealership, I am left at 5pm to find my own way home after being told my vehicle was fine to collect, I receive no offer of transport or loan vehicle, even though I had just left my vehicle with Land Rover for two days.

Day 3:I receive a phone call in the afternoon from Land Rover Service, they advise they have no finished with the vehicle and would need it overnight again, I ask to be phoned Friday morning with an update.

Day 4:By 2pm I have not received an update from service reception. I phone to get an update, the main reception cannot connect me to service so I leave a message.

At 3pm, I receive a phone call from the main receptionist, I am told the service department is busy and will call me back with an update by end of the day.

At 4:50pm (on a Friday very poor form) I receive a phone call from Land Rover saying that my vehicle still is not fixed, I am told that in Land Rovers own words ‘We are at a loss as to what the problem is’ to me that can be interpreted as the vehicle will never work again, I took my Land Rover back to the Land Rover dealer expecting I would have experts looking after the vehicle, I am then told they don’t know how to fix it?

It is at this point Land Rover Service says perhaps it is bad diesel (after I had pointed out all week long the problem started directly after refueling) I am also concerned of additional damage to the engine Barbagallo may have caused continuing to run the engine with bad fuel.

Land Rover offer that I can collect the vehicle for the weekend, I find this action dangerous and completely un-professional
The vehicle is clearly a hazard on the road as it will barely move from a standstill, providing unexpected road behavior.
- If the Service Department do not know what the problem is, how do they know driving it won’t cause more damage to the engine.

Land Rover Service then go onto say the only next course of action is to drop the fuel tank out of the vehicle and to drain the diesel as it is most likely the cause.

Day 7:I receive a phone call from Land Rover Service again, Land Rover advise they are no longer sure if bad diesel is the fault, without reason, Land Rover suggest a fuel test be completed that will take an additional 3-5days before any further work is completed. I phone Land Rover Australia at this point questioning my level of Service provided from this dealer, after a phone call from Land Rover Australia we agree to wait for fuel test results.

Day 18: (Yes, that’s right, they have had my vehicle this long and left without a vehicle over the easter break)I phone to find out what is happening with the fuel test. I was advised that my fuel test results had only 'just come back' and that in the words of Land Rover, 'we are not sure what to do next, we were thinking of pulling the injectors out to send those away for testing' I'm sorry, but after I have previously been advised from Land Rover on a separate phone call that, and I quote in the words of Land Rover Service"We are at a loss as to the cause" I really had no confidence in the ability of Land Rover Service and realised that it would be best I collect my vehicle from Land Rover and use someone more qualified to fix a Land Rover than Land Rover themselves- someone like myself. I advise Land Rover Service I will collect my vehicle on Wednesday the 10th April.

Day 22:Upon arriving to collect my vehicle, I am presented with a bill for (I think I was $650 and something) for diagnostic services, I negotiate this down to $322, at this point I just wanted my Freelander2 back so I could get the thing fixed. After 20mins on google, I decide the EGR valve is faulty, after finding out a replacement in Australia is $450 +GST, I order one off Ebay for the grand sum of $125 and install It myself, at home, and the vehicle is now running perfectly – this show the incompetence of Land Rover and I fixed at home with not much more than a socket set and some spanners. What Land Rover couldn’t even diagnose in 3 weeks with a workshop – oh and by the way, im not a mechanic, I work in IT, and the injectors did not need pulling out and sent away for testing.

I wrote all of the above to Land Rover Australia, asking for a refund of the $322 in diagnostics, nothing more, here was their response:
“Thank you for your email dated 27th May 2013, which relates to the service you have experienced at Barbagallo Land Rover.

In relation to servicing issues, we advise that repair work carried out under your instruction by the Service Department of each Land Rover retailer is warranted by the retailer involved. Accordingly, Land Rover Australia does not maintain any record of such work and therefore any concerns that may arise need to be directed to the Service Manager of the retailer involved.

Land Rover Australia is committed to providing the highest level of products and services to our customers as well as continually improving the level of owner satisfaction. Our retailer network plays a large part in this and your feedback assists us in ensuring that our commitments are being met at all times.

We trust that this clarifies our standing and thank you for the opportunity to review your concern and advise you in this matter.

Should you wish to discuss this matter further then please don’t hesitate to contact me on the number below, Monday to Friday, 08:00 to 18:00 (EST).”

Post #186379 4th Jun 2013 8:54 am
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Agree it's not a happy tale.

If this was in the UK, my first step would be to speak directly to the Dealer Principal and outline in detail what I consider to be the problem with his Service Manager and Service Department. I would also explain what restitution I expect, in the form of a refund of costs to date and something for my inconvenience and extra expense due to the incompetence of his Dealership.

I would also contact LR Customer Services and involve them. I would go back to Customer Services at LR Australia, stress you are unhappy with their response, highlight that the actions of the Dealer have cost them 2 sales and ask them the intervene with the Dealer on your behalf.

Liam@LandRover who works for LR Customer Services in UK is on the forum and can help UK owners but it unable to intervene on behalf of overseas customers as the overseas operations are separate companies to LR UK.

Post #186387 4th Jun 2013 10:10 am
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

I paid for extended warranty and they knocked back a claim for rust in the rear door. I made a vow that I won't even buy genuine parts anymore. Land Rover is not getting anymore of my money. It's a common tale, they are burning repeat sales everywhere for the sake of a few hundred dollars.

Post #186507 4th Jun 2013 11:12 pm
egipp

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Santorini Black

What a shambles! You've every right to feel let down and badly treated. Could I suggest you email your forum input to both Land Rover Australia and Land Rover UK? I'm sure rchrdleigh is correct about the two operations being separate, but it is Land Rover's reputation that is being trashed by this sort of stupidity.
You seem to be more than unfortunate with the Perth dealership; like you, I live along way from my dealer, but when they over ran on a service on a Friday they provided a car for the weekend without being asked with the only cost being the fuel I used. They also offered the next service for free as compensation. However, Melbourne is a bit of a hike for you!
The moral of this is that a stuff up can be turned into a positive IF it is handled correctly.
I wish you all the luck in getting them to do the right thing - don't let the Censored grind you down!
Best Wishes.

Post #186516 5th Jun 2013 2:16 am
wasssup

Thanks for the replies - I like getting other peoples perspective on my situation/ experience. To clarify a few points, I did try to keep my forum post factual about the fault and Land Rovers inability to fix it.. but:

- In my email to LR Australia, I did give specific examples on customer service I recieved that I was unhappy with, I stressed in several paragraphs how unhappy I was about how I was treated, I was more than willing to pay for the vehicle to be fixed, the fact is, LR couldn't diagnose it after 3 weeks, I did in 20minutes on google, you got to admit, makes LR service look pretty bad.

- before posting this I did give LR Australia the oppurtunity to handle the situation privately and I got no where, that was my then my decision to post my experience on the internet (as a point of reference, the letter of complaint I wrote to LR Australia was the first time I have ever written a letter of complaint - I am normally easily pleased Cool )

- The Freelander2 was my first venture into the LR brand and 4wding. So many friends first gave me a hard time for buying into the Land Rover brand, but I have always defended it. I have loved owning this vehicle, I have driven it on all sorts of adventures around Western Australia, ask anyone that knows me about the level of excitement I had when the new Range Rover Sport was annouced, I couldnt wait to order one, im now most likely going to buy a Land Cruiser Sahara, its sad, but LR Australia's response left such a bad taste with me, I wouldnt feel happy laying down 100K for a vehicle knowing this happens when something other than a oil change is required. it is so frustrating I was asking for nothing more than a refund of the exact amount I paid for poor diagnostics nothing more.

Post #186518 5th Jun 2013 3:06 am
cli

Australia 

For the record
I bought mine in 2007
It has done nearly 200,000 kms. (the longest i have ever kept a vehicle)
And never been serviced by a dealer.
Always used genuine parts and consumables (except oil).
All work has been done by a local mechanic i know and trust.
All three experiences i have had with the LR Dealers have been sad.
(one for an accessory fitment, one for a recall and one after an accident).

Keys to successfully owning a LR (not possible for some owners)
Stay away from LR Dealers except for parts
Have a reasonable mechanical knowledge
Own a subscription to the online LR service manuals
Regularly peruse this excellent forum

Looking forward to my next LR (model undecided)

Post #186661 6th Jun 2013 12:57 am
michal969

Czech Republic 

Agree with cli - the only moment you would need a LR dealer is for a warranty issues,software upgrades etc. All other work such as routine mainteance ,oil changes,brakes,blets etc. can be done by any good independent as it is a routine work almost identical to any other car.As for the parts - most consumable parts such as filters,brakes,belts are not made by Land Rover but their suppliers who also supply these parts for aftermarket - for example brake pads LR branded are made for example by TRW or Teves (LR and other car makers have always more than one supplier of the same spare part so sometimes you buy pads from TRW sometimes from Teves).
....to make the long story short - if you know where to look you can have part in OE quality made on the same production line as OE for much better price....no need to visit a dealer.

Post #186716 6th Jun 2013 7:07 pm
wasssup

Thanks for the alternate perspectives, but I shouldnt have to fix the vehicle myself? or have mechanical knowledge, imagine if Land Rover Marketing said: 'the key to successful LR ownership is having mechanial knowledge' who would buy one? I want worry free motoring, not knowing I have to fix or service the thing myself. I live a very busy life, I took it straight the the Land Rover dealer because they are meant to be the 'experts' and just wanted the problem fixed.

The point of this thread was to hightlight how the LR brand has in my mind been tarnished because of how it has been represented by Land Rover Australia and my local service department.

Post #186756 7th Jun 2013 2:04 am
devondave

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

What a terrible story of incompetance by LR Australia and their Agents. In my experiance the way to get something done to rectify the situation is to contact the head of the organisations. I have found that the person in question can be identified by a phone call. Please keep after them, don't let them get away with it.
Best wishes on a succesfull outcome.

Post #186769 7th Jun 2013 7:59 am
Vesko

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Very disappointing!

I was just thinking to extend my warranty... After reading this I am not so sure.

Post #186857 8th Jun 2013 5:43 am
jaksbak@freel2

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Yes, very disappointing. The experience I had when I contacted a LR Dealer when I had my first problem with my FL2 was such a let down that I will never use them for service, nor buy another vehicle off them. The vehicles are good but the after-sales service sucks. I have been directed to a company made up of ex-LR service people and intend to throw my money their way. This advice was a from a long term, repeat purchase, brand loyal Disco owner.

Post #187353 12th Jun 2013 10:17 am
FreddyFL

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Fuji White

Got to admit I've been less than impressed with the capability of the same dealership.

I've had my FL2 serviced 4 times there, and given them the same two faults to fix every time. The seem unable to resolve them.
Im not talking anything major, but just things I would expect, what is essentially a brand new car, not to do (vibrating doorskin and creaking front springs).

What annoys me most though is the threat of voiding the new car warranty if I don't service the car according to time schedule (6 monthly), instead of KMs. I have to question the service advisor every time I take the car in as to why a vehicle which has had 4 minor services, needs a major service. The car has only done 25,000 kms.

I get a blank stare from that same bloke every time, asking me what I suggest. Here's an idea, parts don't wear out when a car is sitting in a garage turned off, so don't replace them.

Its a real "couldn't care less attitude."

Post #188869 24th Jun 2013 5:48 am
outlear

Australia 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

Unfortunately in Perth we are stuck with Barbagallo my Freelander is going in for its first oil service later this month and I have to say from what I have read here I wish i could choose another dealer.

Post #192254 23rd Jul 2013 7:26 am
cli

Australia 

Outlear,
Do you know any motor mechanics that you trust?

Go and buy the genuine consumable (except the oil) from the dealer, and keep the receipts.
This is important because it retains your warranty with LR (proof you were using their consumables)
Buy the oil from the local Repco (Penrite HPR Diesel 5).
Then give all the bits to your mechanic.
The vehicles aren't difficult to work on.

When i purchased mine, dealer servicing became a dispute.
The argument being that i wasn't going to drive 2 hours, hang around for hours and drive back home just to get services.
It was pointed out to the dealer that country purchasers would continue to purchase the likes of Toyota no matter how reliable LR became, simply because they could get things serviced in their local areas.

LR Australia stepped in and told the dealer that this wasn't necessary and that all i needed was proof that i had used LR consumables and parts during the warranty period to retain warranty.
So i purchased from the dealer's spare parts dept enough consumables for 100000 kms of services.
They have a schedule that shows what will be used over that period.

Now i have 197000 kms on the vehicle, it is the longest i have ever kept a vehicle and it hasnt had a single problem. The absence of wear and tear means i will be keeping it for a lot longer yet.

Post #192418 23rd Jul 2013 11:17 pm
outlear

Australia 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

cli wrote:
Outlear,
Do you know any motor mechanics that you trust?

Go and buy the genuine consumable (except the oil) from the dealer, and keep the receipts.
This is important because it retains your warranty with LR (proof you were using their consumables)
Buy the oil from the local Repco (Penrite HPR Diesel 5).
Then give all the bits to your mechanic.
The vehicles aren't difficult to work on.

Thanks CLI unfortunately mine is on a novated lease and the servicing is included in the price through the main dealer. I will certainly try and find someone else to do the service at the end of the lease.

Post #192427 24th Jul 2013 2:06 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1