« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > To buy or not to buy?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
jon

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Stornoway Grey
To buy or not to buy?

I used to drive a 3lt Shogun, then had a number of Honda CRVs and currently own a Honda Accord Tourer 2.2 diesel which is OK but my wife has never liked (can't see over the hedge!), its also a bit noisy from engine and road.

Promised myself I would wait for the new CRV before doing anything, but was not enamoured by the looks when the first photos came out a few months ago. Test drove one the other day and was disappointed, it is more of an MPV than an SUV, even though it has all the toys.

Followed this up with a drive in the new Freelander and a Disco 3 for comparison. Disco was great but decided on the large size for my current needs and my works petrol allowance would not cover the cost of running one!

The Freelander impressed me. Great presence on the road and seemed much quieter than the CRV, even if not quite as quick off the mark. Preferred the internal layout as well.

I need to make up my mind about putting in an order but am still worried over reliability as I have to say the Hondas have been rock solid.

Jonathan

Post #1192 1st Jan 2007 6:46 pm
pelyma

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

I have had a D3 since near launch, the first had a few problems with the compressor, the second has had no issues at all. Those that have had "problems" have on the whole been software related, hence RRS has had even less. I have ordered a Fl2 and do not expect any problems. But I would take the time to find a decent dealer who backs up the sales experience with good after sales even if you pay a bit more. That way if you were to have issues you have the back up to sort it. D4 HSE Lux for me
FL2 HSE Zermatt & Alpacca for the wife now gone
Skoda Yeti L&K for the wife.

Post #1196 2nd Jan 2007 10:02 am
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

Jon, there is a lot of hype about "unreliable" Land Rovers, while I wouldn't say it is a myth, there are far more owners with cars that never get a problem than there are owners with lemons. Land Rover quality control has come on in strides in recent years the biggest problem now isn't the product but the attitude of LR Customer services and some of the dealers - who's view seems to be "we make a perfect product, it leaves the factory in perfect condition and YOU must have done something to it to make it otherwise. Sorry we don't want to know about your problems" There are some brilliant dealers out there and the chain is getting better but there are still too many with a bad attitude. Land Rover wants us to think that we have bought a vehicle of similar quality to a BMW, Mercedes or Toyota but then don't want to back that up with the same attitude to customers.
How often do you ever hear about a customer of Toyota complaining about poor customer service - if you have a problem Toyota would much rather fix it and have a satisfied customer who comes back to buy another car than to be slagged off in the motoring press, papers and on the net as having a poor attitude to customers. Mud sticks, but it isn't necessarily justified.
I've owned 7 Land Rover vehicles in the last 12 years and have been fortunate to have a great dealership to work with for most of that time. I also have only had one breakdown in that time and no serious defects with new cars.

Freelander 2 will be no worse a purchase than the CRV, it has greater ability than the CRV and in my view is a much more attractive car than the CRV which looks like one of the products of a certain Korean SUV manufacturer!.
But then I'm biased as well How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #1197 2nd Jan 2007 1:18 pm
jon

Tim in Scotland wrote:

Freelander 2 will be no worse a purchase than the CRV, it has greater ability than the CRV and in my view is a much more attractive car than the CRV which looks like one of the products of a certain Korean SUV manufacturer!.
But then I'm biased as well

The local dealer here is Stratstone who are also BMW dealers locally. Seem a great deal better than their predecessors here who had a really bad rep.

Anyway, took the plunge and have ordered my FL2 SE diesel in Stornaway Grey! So have joined the happy band Smile

Decided I was not into 'cute' or 'yummee mummy'!

Jonathan

Post #1199 2nd Jan 2007 5:32 pm
The Villager

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Stornoway Grey

Well done Jon
I pick mine up tomorrow, same colour, same model, when is your car due?
David David

Post #1200 2nd Jan 2007 6:01 pm
jon

David Lindop wrote:
Well done Jon
I pick mine up tomorrow, same colour, same model, when is your car due?
David

Saturday 13th Jan. I was lucky they had what I wanted in stock within their dealership.

Jonathan

Post #1201 2nd Jan 2007 6:05 pm
boiledgnat

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

2 questions:

1 - what interior did you go for?
2 - I assume you've gone to Aylesbury Stratstone - if so, how would you rate them ? (They're my second closest dealer)

Thanks

BG

Post #1202 2nd Jan 2007 7:18 pm
jon

boiledgnat wrote:
2 questions:

1 - what interior did you go for?
2 - I assume you've gone to Aylesbury Stratstone - if so, how would you rate them ? (They're my second closest dealer)

Thanks

BG

Hi BG

Interior is Reef/Alpaca.

The salesman I dealt with was good, knew his stuff. He gave three hours of his time last Saturday taking me out in two different cars and answering all my queries. I did not feel any pressure selling going on, the only thing said, was :"Is there anything else that I can tell you that would help you to make up your mind, now" or something to that effect as we parted.

Rate them? All I can say is so far, quite good.

Jonathan

Post #1204 2nd Jan 2007 8:15 pm
The Villager

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Stornoway Grey

Picked my car up today SE, I knew it would be good but didnt know how good, BRILLIENT, BRILLIENT, BRILLLIENT, what a car!
I thought the freelander was good but this new car is in a different class.
Will take some time to learn the new toys in it
One thing, check your mobile is compatable, mine is not
David Very Happy David

Post #1209 3rd Jan 2007 9:23 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

David Lindop wrote:
Picked my car up today SE, I knew it would be good but didnt know how good, BRILLIENT, BRILLIENT, BRILLLIENT, what a car!
I thought the freelander was good but this new car is in a different class.
Will take some time to learn the new toys in it
One thing, check your mobile is compatable, mine is not
David Very Happy

Teriffic to hear your first comment about the car ... having followed the forum for a couple of months now its a fitting end to the build up I've read about !

I don't have a date for mine just yet but its supposed to be 3rd week Jan, so hoepfully I'm wont be far behind with the same comments ...

rgds
Paul

Post #1210 3rd Jan 2007 10:39 pm
jon

David Lindop wrote:
David Very Happy

Congratulations! Can't wait to get mine.

Jonathan

Post #1211 3rd Jan 2007 11:17 pm
avtur

Have just called in at the dealership to check progress on my order and see if they had a GS in the flesh (ordered mine without seeing one). Salesman apologized that they didn't have a GS yet, then checked some files and reckoned my car should be with them in a few days - on the way out of the showroom I noticed a Stornoway Grey GS, so went back to ask for a look at it. Salesman was surprised and we both went out to look at the car .... low and behold it's my car! So got to sit in a have a good look around, salesman put a sold sign on so it doesn't get get opened up again. Just have to see if our fleet office will allow early delivery to me.

Post #1263 6th Jan 2007 2:37 pm
TB

England 

Well done Avtur.

I hope you get your hands on the keys sooner rather than later. Don't forget to post pictures. Wink

Post #1264 6th Jan 2007 5:13 pm
avtur

Last edited by avtur on 12th Jan 2007 8:33 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #1302 10th Jan 2007 9:36 pm
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

Now, now throwing your toys out of the pram will not help things Laughing Take a deep breath and reeeeelaxxxxx. How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #1303 11th Jan 2007 12:25 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>