Home > Technical > Driver seat squeaks
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Arese

Morocco 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black
Driver seat squeaks

Hi Guys

My FL2 driver seat squeaks a lot, on every speed bump Rolling Eyes . Cannot locate exactly the origin but seems directly under my a** Censored

when i'm sitting and doing a movment as I do with my wife Whistle it squeaks

Anyone has experienced that ? what can I do ?

Premium tan leather

Thx in advance

Post #189602 28th Jun 2013 5:10 pm
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

Try a little furniture polish down each side where it meets the plastic trim sides.

Post #189604 28th Jun 2013 5:35 pm
Arese

Thank you mate, but it seems to me that the squeaking comes elsewhere from where leather meets plastic.

What if I spray WD40 ... ?

Also I've seen a thread where MAV71 removes the seat base like shown in this picture below. I want to do that but I don't have the "how to do to procedure" if someone can help.

Thumbs Up

Post #189605 28th Jun 2013 5:42 pm
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

If you have a good spray around in all the places that plastic meets the leather then at least you have eliminated them. Never used WD40 on leather so I suggest a little in a hidden place to make sure it doesn't stain.

Post #189616 28th Jun 2013 7:44 pm
Ken1179

United Kingdom 

I had this! Every time I accelerated Shocked turns out the squeak was coming from where your seatbelt clips into!?! Not the housing but where the holder is bolted to the car. Hope this helps??? 2013 B&W edition black of course!
2010 GS where's the snow Smile

Post #189906 30th Jun 2013 10:57 pm
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Is'nt that whats called the Premium Sound bit? Wink

Post #189917 1st Jul 2013 9:00 am
michal969

Czech Republic 

...if my memory goes well there are only 4 screws holding the seat base on the frame.Accesing them may be a little tricky as there is not much room under the seat.

Post #189953 1st Jul 2013 6:08 pm
ragtopmalti

Malta 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Alaska White

Have you tried using s mouse trap. You could be pressing down on the little fellow and then it squeaks - a lot Series 2a 88 - 1962
Series 2a 88 - 1962 Military under restoration
Series 3 109 - 1984
Freelander 2 105 - 2008

Post #190146 3rd Jul 2013 3:08 pm
Arese

Hi guys,

Thank you

Ken1179 : Thank you but the squeaks comes from the base of the seat not from the seatbelt.

Winzking : thank you mate for the advice, I dont want to ruin my leather Embarassed I'll try the method of removing the seat base first if I can !

Michal969 : could you please tell me more about how to acceed to those screws ? thx

Cheers

Post #190160 3rd Jul 2013 5:20 pm
Jimski

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

The centre of my drivers seat squeaked. In the centre of the upright part, lower back lumbar area.

Took it in to LR and one of the springs had come unclipped and chomped through the foam. All sorted quickly and Thumbs Up to LR. 2013 FL2 - Black Edition Auto
2013 FL2 - Black Edition Manual GONE!
Founder of the 'Microscopic LR Spoiler Badge Club'
Destroyer of chrome rears.....

Post #190161 3rd Jul 2013 5:23 pm
Arese

Thank you mate Thumbs Up

Post #190162 3rd Jul 2013 5:25 pm
michal969

Czech Republic 

PM sent

Post #190195 3rd Jul 2013 8:03 pm
Arese

Replied Thumbs Up

Post #190196 3rd Jul 2013 8:06 pm
sin008

could someone show me where the seat base bolts are, i had a look but im not sure which ones to take out......

Post #203321 16th Oct 2013 12:26 pm
athelstan

This may help:
On her Ladyship's MY2010 manual the driver's seat squeaked every time you moved on the seat bum cushion or when you changed gear i.e. left leg movement. This was from delivery day one of her new car. Supplying dealer said it would go away, then after 4 months used silicone spray which made the seat look very shinny indeed but didn't stop the squeak.

Changed dealer (for many reasons of incompetence ) and the second bunch of LR official clowns inserted felt pads down the side of the seat against the black plastic side trim. Didn't stop the squeak. They tried again many months later at second annual service using leather polish and repositioning the black plastic side trims. Didn't stop the squeak.

Third annual service - said squeak was part of "normal" wear n tear. Still squeaking.

Two months ago 45mths into ownership with nothing else to do after coming out of hospital and seeing that the driver's seat was exhibiting much more signs of usage than the front passenger seat (no surprise as the driver's seat occupancy rate is 100% compared to 15% front passenger seat) I'd thought it would be a good idea to swop over the seat bases to even up the wear rates. At this time I was told the seat bases are held on by 4 bolts to the frame.

Well after spending many fruitless hours looking for 4 bolts and asking others, I discovered that for sure MY 2010 is held on by only 2 bolts at the front of the frame, one far left and the other far right just behind the manual bar/ rail that you lift up to enable the seat to move forwards or backwards. These two bolts are 10mm and can be felt and seen easily with your head right under the seat. Remove them completely.

The mysterious other 2 to complete the set of 4 do not exist on MY2010. And maybe not on other model years - take hold of the front of the seat cushion and lift up. The cushion will rise as it swivels off the back 2 retention lugs. Now the whole cushion is free of the seat frame.

Because the electrics re HVAC system are handed to left n right seats you cannot just transfer the complete base unit to the driver's side and vis-a-vis. So instead I stripped off just the cushion's leather covering ( as it is in her FL2) and swooped them over. That re-upholstery is a bit of a fiddle and time consuming but now the newer looking leather is getting much heavier use and the "older looking original driver's leather" is getting a well earned rest. GRAND

But......
The unexpected bonus is that now there is absolutely no squeak at all when changing gear or wiggling about getting comfy on the driver's seat bum cushion.

45mths of living with squeaks at the hands of so called factory trained professionals cured coincidentally in a couple of hours by the desire to even out the visual wear rate of the front seat cushions by an industry outsider. Trust that lot above helps. Go seek chaps - the solution is within your own hands.

PS: there is every chance that this post like many of my other long posts are moved, edited, given a new title, struck off or labelled "off-topic" by a being with an addiction for the use of red and the shift tab. So read it quickly before it is redacted Wink

Post #203379 16th Oct 2013 8:11 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>