Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Brake Disk Corrosion - Causes?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Eurolandy

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey
Brake Disk Corrosion - Causes?

I’ve spent some time over the last couple of Bank Holiday weekends changing the rear and then the front drake disks and pads.
On both the front and rear, I found the inner pads partially delaminated from the pad metal backing plate and severe corrosion on the inner diameter of the inside face of all disks (53,000 miles on the clock).
I know there are quite a few posts about this common topic but can anyone tell me what causes the corrosion in this area?
I could understand this if the vehicle was used in a more hostile environment off road and never cleaned down afterwards, but mines never been anywhere worse that a few damp grassy fields or gravel tracks. My brother in laws Discovery 300TDi has shown similar issue with its rear disks but again it’ never ventured far off road (and it has 100,000+ on the clock). I’ve never noticed this on any previous Land Rover (or any previous car).
Thinking of upgrading my current 2007 model at the end of the year and I don't really what to do this job again on a new FL2 anytime soon.

Post #186967 9th Jun 2013 2:00 pm
ad210358

England 

Could be the metal they are using, the vehicles we have at work used to suffer with the rear discs becoming pitted and rusting, but not the fronts. The friction material coming off the pads, (delaminating) happened on he early models, haven't heard it mentioned for a couple of years now. p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #186971 9th Jun 2013 2:19 pm
GSMY11

2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Lago Grey

Hi, I had same problem with 2011 MY at 43,000 miles. The rear brakes started to squeek on reverse. Shortly afterwards the brakes seized on and I had to have LR Assist come and ease them off--well, they hammered the drums until there was sufficient movement. Round to the garage where the discs, pads and brake shoes were all replaced. The garage reported that the brake shoe linings had come away from the shoes and this, together with the rest of the rust etc had caused the problem. I blame poor servicing at the dealer but their argument is that there is nothing on the service schedule that says they should strip and clean the brakes. Oh well, that was another £500 bill!

Post #186973 9th Jun 2013 2:56 pm
Advanced Factors
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

A brake pad bonding failure normally occurs when the pad is flexed rather than pushed in a level manner.

Likely causes:

The brake pad becoming jammed in the caliper on one or both ends, with the piston pushing in the centre the problem occurs. This can happen with Aluminium calipers when they grow due to corrosion, a poor fitting pad or a need for a little copperslip on the mating surfaces. A seized or partially seized caliper.

The disc surface will show more signs of corrosion when not in use, the disc is ferrous so this would be normal, a pad not operating correctly on one side would show more rust or uneven wear.

An old brake pad that looks a little wedge shaped on the remaining friction material is a good indication of a problem that needs solving.

Brake disc judder felt through the steering is often blamed on the disc but could be due to a seized caliper or carrier slider and comes back after disc replacement.

Hope these pointers help. Paul Redding
+44 (0)23 8052 2760
Order Parts Online at www.advancedfactors.co.uk

Post #187010 9th Jun 2013 6:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
nicedayforit

@ Eurolandy

You do live in a hostile environment as far as un-protected steel is concerned.
Cleverleys is next to the coast. The air is contaminated with salt.
I'm in a similar situation and make a lot of effort to protect my cars from the affect of salt laden air. Have done for years.
Any unprotected steel on a car will corrode but add a bit of salt and the affect is multiplied many times.
I look forward to a manufacturer producing a car made entirely from Marine grade stainless steel and brass. Thumbs Up

Post #187087 10th Jun 2013 12:39 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

I bet the taxi owners in Berwick do as well. Amusing to watch their drivers splashing through the sea every day on their way to Holy Island. Never buy an ex-Berwick taxi!

Post #187101 10th Jun 2013 1:38 pm
sgrich

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Lago Grey

hi i used to work on fleetwood ferries next to clevelyes and my car stood for a fortnight on the quayside
i have had 2 mot failures due to corroded brakes namely a mini and a focus , more then a coincidence Shocked

regards sgrich geordies need love too
2008 td4 hse auto sorta gunmetal grey when its clean

Post #187123 10th Jun 2013 4:57 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Perhaps the ultimate example of this is in the potash mine near Whitby. The roadways are in the rock salt layers, and the local method of transport is (or was when I was last there) Transit minibus. The vans are worked until life expired, then left underground (or more accurately, undersea!). They are completely coated with salt dust, but don't rust in the zero humidity of the mine. They told us that if they brought them to the surface they would crumble almost immediately. (A bit like vampires in daylight). Come to think of it, Whitby... vampires... maybe we were lucky to get out!

Post #187212 10th Jun 2013 10:12 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1