« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Hesitation when pulling away auto sd4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
csm7djs

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 Sport Auto Firenze Red
Hesitation when pulling away auto sd4

I've done a search and turned up loads of results about the hesitation from the Auto box when initially pulling away.

Plenty of people have mentioned: holding the car on the handbrake, sand mode, anticipation etc but is it generally recognized that there is a significant delay from removing your foot from the brake, accelerating hard and the car actually picking up?

I would say the delay in accelerating is well over a second and this has caught me out on several occasions now. In fact so much so, i've booked the car in to be checked out.

But - what is the best option for removing this delay? How do other people work around it? or is there a problem here?

Post #186394 4th Jun 2013 12:03 pm
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Mine hesitates about a second its annoying but ive learned to live with it,when it gets going it really shifts (Sheffield talk Smile)

Post #186396 4th Jun 2013 1:03 pm
EYorkshire

Unfortunately there is a delay and made worse by switching your foot from brake to accelerator, you just have to anticipate and always be aware on pulling out into a roundabout or from a junction, it can be scary at times when traffic is heavy.

There is no option that I know of to remove this delay and workarounds are an extra PITA.

Post #186397 4th Jun 2013 1:11 pm
taztastic

England 

Why do people keep asking if its a problem.....it's not.

You have a two tonne lump of metal to shift, it ain't going to happen quickly, if it was a manual car you would be holding the car on the handbrake or clutch ready to go, you dont sit there with your clutch to the floor and the handbrake on you need to adapt to the way the auto works, it will pick its feet up and go quite rapidly, yes I have been caught out before too but in fairness if your need to pull into traffic and a split second matters then maybe you shouldn't be pulling out?

Post #186408 4th Jun 2013 3:54 pm
ad210358

England 

Mine was like that until advice from above, keep off the foot brake, hold it on the Hand Brake, then it's fine.

Disco 4 doesn't do it, whoooosh Whistle p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #186429 4th Jun 2013 5:16 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

if you use both feet when your stationary it will have a severe hesitation when you pull away. Try leaving the brake alone first & see how it goes

I have an auto & no hesitation whatsoever ( It used too really bad to the point of dangerous ) and its actually very quick off the mark as well.

Last edited by oldgeezer on 4th Jun 2013 5:46 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #186435 4th Jun 2013 5:37 pm
Walkerdel

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Mine is the same and has also caught me out a few times after 30+ years of manual gearboxes.

I had a manual eD4 for a year before getting the auto and, in spite of the bulk, got used to being able to make a quick start (with high revs and clutch abuse!).

The auto flies once it's rolling but (in my hands) it just doesn't lend itself to really prompt starts. After 3 months with it I'm getting used to anticipating a little better and maybe not trying to jump into the gaps I used to Sad. 2012 SD4 XS Santorini Black

Post #186439 4th Jun 2013 5:45 pm
chrisr1806

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Sorry to take the thread off topic, but....

Walkerdel, what made you change from an eD4 to an SD4?

Post #186441 4th Jun 2013 5:51 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Is it worse when turning?
The car knows that the steering is turned, maybe it slows acceleration if it believes you might run the risk of wheelspin?
If this is so, is it possible that the vehicles believes the steering is turned when it isn't?

Anyway if you really do need to set off quick:
left foot on brake.
right foot on accelerator, engine at 1800rpm.
wait for it, wait for it.
light goes green, simultaneously plant right foot and lift left foot.

Fun but not reccommended if you have to pay for your own gearboxes Very Happy Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #186443 4th Jun 2013 5:55 pm
Walkerdel

The eD4 was a company car so the lower list price and CO2 minimised the tax and lease cost. When I 'opted out' of the car scheme I no longer had to consider that aspect and the SD4 came along at the right time/price - simples... Very Happy 2012 SD4 XS Santorini Black

Post #186449 4th Jun 2013 6:08 pm
taztastic

England 

Hold it on the handbrake, the ECU detects the foot brake in use and kills the engine power, try it, drive along at 20 mph and touch the brake gently, the engine power dies off then comes back.
Doesn't happen with the handbrake, alternatively, try Andy's method Whistle

Post #186455 4th Jun 2013 6:59 pm
Walkerdel

Andy's method is a bit extreme for me Shocked ....but I shall certainly experiment with your 'handbrake' solution.

The slow take-up of the drive is about the only thing I don't like about the auto. You don't need a quick launch often, but when you do it's embarrassing to find you can't Embarassed 2012 SD4 XS Santorini Black

Post #186462 4th Jun 2013 7:22 pm
taztastic

England 

Not as bad as stalling though Thumbs Up

Post #186465 4th Jun 2013 7:53 pm
csm7djs

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 Sport Auto Firenze Red

oldgeezer wrote:
I have an auto & no hesitation whatsoever ( It used too really bad to the point of dangerous ) and its actually very quick off the mark as well.

Was something fixed?

The reason I ask is i'm sure the hesitation has got worse in the last few days. Foot off the brake, car rolling forwards for seconds then press the accelerator and nothing - Its well over a second before the cars speed increases above that of the car just rolling.

It feels like the car is constantly pulling away in 2nd gear (somebody will now tell me its supposed to do this in D)

Post #186473 4th Jun 2013 8:32 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

It shouldn't pull away in 2nd unless in sport mode.
Mine spent almost 3years pulling away in 2nd gear and landrover dealer kept saying nothing was wrong and was diagnosed as turbo fault. Mine was dog slow and seriously dangerous pulling away with horrendous hesitation, really bad at roundabouts !
It also only used to return 23-26mpg because it was struggling to pull away.
I found a fix for mine and goes like a rocket and no hesitation and my wife will now drive it whereas for 3years she wouldn't drive it.
You need to hunt out 1 of my old posts.
There were a few who thought I was cuckoo and quick to suggest from a technical point of view the fix couldn't work or make the difference but can assure you it transformed my car from a dog slow horrendously hesitant unreliable heap to a rocket ship that's actually fun to drive. Just a shame that I had to sort myself as 3years of visits to the dealer were a waste of time

Post #186489 4th Jun 2013 9:17 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>