« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Freelander engines
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Very Annoyed

Freelander engines

See this link - don't know if he's talking rubbish or not

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index...del=%20949 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE Zambezi silver, Alpaca, Privicy Glass, Sun roof, PTI, Tasmod's sills, DVD for the offspring, Sex on wheels! RRSPORT.CO.UK sticker on back window! S/C grill & Vents, Front & Rear Lamp Guards, Driving lamps and mud in places you wouldn't believe!
D3 for the wife - No extras! (she has to earn them!)

I like Boobies!!!!

Post #133 5th Mar 2006 9:16 pm
pelyma

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Most of it is rubbish. A 2.2 TD is likley, the petrol engines will be volvo and as ever they will be modified versions of, in the way that LR modified Jag engines for D3 and RRS

Post #135 6th Mar 2006 9:44 am
TB

England 

What mkes you think they will use Volvo engines?

Why not Ford engines from the new Ford engine plant down in South Wales or Dagenham?

Post #136 9th Mar 2006 7:46 pm
pelyma

Because they've been seen Wink

Post #142 13th Mar 2006 9:34 pm
TB

England 

Quote:
Because they've been seen

Oh I get it.

You know a man, who knows a man, who thinks he saw something.

'Nough said. Yawn

Post #163 16th Mar 2006 9:21 pm
pelyma

I know a man who has sat in it! Enough said Ner Ner

Post #165 17th Mar 2006 7:34 am
harveyg77

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black
Err, Engines sorry its boring

4cyl Ford 2.2 TDCi tuned down to approx. 140PS. 5cyl 2.4 'Volvo' TD approx. 170PS. the unit used to dump 163PS, but was uprated to 18xPS, doubt LR would leave it in the 180's as its to close to the Disco3 TdV6, I oudl though they would peg it down 10PS to leave some differentiation between the engines.

The reason for Volvo engines is that the basis of the chassis is shared with the S40/V50 as well as new Focus, Focus C-Max, Mazda 3. A modified version of this is also to form the underpinnings of the next Mondeo and X-Type. So this means that the superb Volvo units can fit in nicely.

The 3.2 6cyl is a 'bored' out version of the 2.9 used in the S80 T6 varients.

In addition I do believe that the 2.5 5cyl turbo would be a good unit for the Freelander as its torquey and goes like stink, but is still a reasonably compact size. I don't know whether they'd bother with it though. As LR normally have a good 'top spec' petrol, a token gesture diesel, then entry level engine.

No doubt though that some form of 4cyl Ford petrol could find its way in though to form the bog standard bargain basement model. Interstingly the 1.8 SCi (think thats what they call a unit in the Mondeo) gives a good 125PS and similar torque, as LR are coming for so stick I wouldn't bet against it going in to try and peg down emissions and fuel consumption, to ease criticism. Obviously the diesel would drop the CO rating and raise the fuel economy too.

If they go for auto with the 2.2 TDCi, I wonder whether they would continue wiuth the Jatco. this is what is currently mated to the Ford Focus TDCi auto's.

Lastly the current 2.0 Td4 is a good unit, just has a MAF sensor problem. I can get the std Td4 to 200PS and 300lb/ft. Though this then shreds the box Wink

Cheers H

Post #291 25th May 2006 9:25 pm
pelyma

Bow down You seem to know a bit about this then! Do you think they will yet again pick an under powered diesel? The TDV6 would have been nice Cool but unlikley. Talk on other forums have been of an engine that puts out 168 bhp, which presumably would go like stink.

Post #292 26th May 2006 8:01 am
harveyg77

Ah, now a 168PS diesel would fit in well with the Volvo 2.4 5cyl unit as this comes in two guises - 163PS and 185PS. LR normally knock 10PS off, so the 185PS version de-tuned slightly looks like a trop spec model. Depending on how much fatr the Freelander gains, but I would expect it to be "nippy" Wink

I used to work for GenRad ADS Ltd writing all the software for controlling production of Ford and Jaguar cars. Developing software for the X-Type, writing updates for Jag's, Fords, BMW motorbikes, produciing workshop diagnostic tools and being a general petrol head Wink

Cheers H

Post #294 26th May 2006 12:34 pm
pelyma

harveyg77 wrote:
I used to work for GenRad ADS Ltd writing all the software for controlling production of Ford and Jaguar cars. Developing software for the X-Type, writing updates for Jag's, Fords, BMW motorbikes, produciing workshop diagnostic tools and being a general petrol head Wink

Cheers H

It would seem an oil head too!! I wish I knew what you were talking about though Laughing

Post #295 26th May 2006 2:10 pm
harveyg77

GenRad ADS LTd is/was an Amercian company, ADS is Advanced Diagnostic Solutions. The write the software and provide hardware to programme all the Jaguars when they're made in the factory. Also GenRad produce the workshop diagnostics. So if your Jag is fault it, they use GenRad kit to diagnose it. Normally if GenRad equipment doesn;t find a fual tits because the Technician has not been given enough time with the tool to find it. Usually with warranty work they allow so much time to diagnose. If its not found its returned as 'fault not found'. Basically we had a wiring diagram for every variant of every Jaguar. then systematically selected each component, connector and wire in turn and worked out what could go wrong with it, then devisied a strategy for seeing how you woudl be able to diagnose it to that failure mechanism. We then wrote the software to use voltage, current, short/open circuit, resistance, etc. to calculae every single failure.

Shame the LR diagnostic system is "Testbook" not GenRad Wink

Cheers H

Post #303 27th May 2006 12:43 pm
pelyma

Aren't new LRs such as D3, RRS on the same system as Jags (WDS) or have I misunderstood? Confused

Post #306 27th May 2006 4:37 pm
harveyg77

I don't know who they use now. Its always been testbook. but Genrad stuff is bloody good and seeing as Jag and Ford use it, I woudl imagine it will feed into LR more. Esp. if they are going to beat their quality gremlins Wink

Cheers H

Post #307 27th May 2006 9:14 pm
HAGGI

Interesting stuff Harvey, specially your take on engine choice. I've had more than one conversation with an ex volvo service manager who told me the Freelander would have the D5 volvo engine at 180, that was as far back as January I think. Hopefully this will be the case as it already has auto gearbox option and is a brilliant piece of engieering.I don't think it will be long before the disco3 gets the new Dagenham V8 that's going into Range Rovers later this year. This may be the power/model difference between the disco 3 and the Freelander

Post #310 27th May 2006 9:52 pm
harveyg77

My only thought on the D5 is that at 185PS itsnot far off the TdV6, so Iwould expect LR to detune it slightly. a. to avoid too much of a clash with the 2.7V6. and b. LR seem to detune every diesel they have Wink

Amazing thing about the engines is that Volvo have allegedly developed their very own 4.4 V8 for the US market. I can't believe Ford would allow a big V8 to be developed when Jag already has the superb AJ-V8 used in Jags and RaRo/Disco3.

I had a 55 plate Astra 2.0turbo, it went like a missile, but with the 6-speed bos i regularly returned 36-38mpg, and once on a long jopurney averaged 42.1mpg!!! So to cut to the chase, I love a well engineered turbo unit. Torquey low down, but go like a startled missile. Drop a 2.5 5cyl Volvo turbo into the Freelander please LR. Its already used in the Focus Smile

Cheers H

Post #311 28th May 2006 12:32 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>