Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > In Car Electronics > Best way to mount an iPhone in MY2013 ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
tims

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Orkney Grey
Best way to mount an iPhone in MY2013 ?

Hi,

Just changed from a 2010MY GS to a 2013GS, and with it am now in need of a good way to mount a holder for my iPhone 5.

In the 2010MY, the flat areas either side of the "dash top" grills right in the middle of the dashboard area were just the right size to attach a phone holder... this doesn't exist in the 2013MY car, and I'm loathed to use a windscreen mount one if I can avoid it...

Can anyone recommend something suitable...?

Thanks Smile

Tim

Post #181947 27th Apr 2013 4:04 pm
Chris B

United Kingdom 

Fair point - and there was me thinking that the tray in front of the gear-lever where I sit my little Blackberry was obviously sized to accommodate an iPhone.
I realise you can't actually see it and touch the screen there and no other locations for a mounting jump out at me apart from the screen. Does your iPhone not Bluetooth enough functions to the main display? Gone... 2013 XS TD4 Manual Firenze Red
Gone... 2008 (09MY) XS Td4 Manual Stornaway Grey
Prior... 2003 G4 Discovery 2, 1998 Disco 1 and 1997 Disco 1 Company car before that
Also gone in Nov'13, after 7.5 yrs, to new owners with time for more TLC - 1980 Series III 88
Current 2015 Discovery Sport HSE 2.0

Post #181948 27th Apr 2013 4:23 pm
tims

The tray's just the right size for an iPhone, and that all works great via Bluetooth for music & calls etc...

Not so great for satnav though - tend to use the TomTom app on my phone (and opted for a GS on this basis as I don't use nav that often), so it's rather handy to be able to see the screen!

Currently thinking that a Brodit proclip might do the job nicely - am hoping/assuming I can use one intended for a LHD car to mount the phone on the left of the dash; the RHD versions position the phone on the right hand side of the steering wheel which isn't that convenient for things like power cables.

http://www.drivesafeandlegal.co.uk/brodit/...804006.htm

Will give it a go and report back if anyone else has a similar issue!

Post #181949 27th Apr 2013 4:27 pm
shamus5178

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

Tims, I fitted the right hand fit http://www.drivesafeandlegal.co.uk/brodit/...604006.htm and this http://www.dsldevelopments.com/brodit/fitt...del=iPhone 4S

then used this http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007QTA...&psc=1 and bought a 3.5mm male to female jack and a male to female usb extension cable and fitted the around and under the dash to the centre tunnel, along and underneath that to the AUX in socket and 12v socket for USB. I bought a non illuminating USB 12v charger as the back socket has constant power to it, so no power drain to a silly little green light.

see pics below

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #181972 27th Apr 2013 6:16 pm
tims

Thanks - looking to do something similar, but am keen to try and mount the phone on the other side of the wheel.

Current plan is to try and fit the pro clip / bracket for a LHD car to mine - should be the exact opposite of yours hopefully, and fit!

Post #182097 28th Apr 2013 8:36 pm
Barton Freelander

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Lago Grey

This was where i mounted mine in my old freelander.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Freelander2 GS TD4 Manual in Lago Grey Smile .Roof Mount DVD 9.2''Screen~Window Tints~Parrot CK3100 Bluetooth~Retro Fit Sony Satnav~iPhone Dashmount~Side Steps~Woodco Armrest~Mudflaps~Land Rover Sunglass Holder~LED Interior Lights~Private Plate.Evoque Collected 17th Sept 2012.

Also Audi TT Roadster.Smile

Post #182098 28th Apr 2013 8:42 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
tims

That's the backup plan Smile

Post #182099 28th Apr 2013 8:43 pm
Nairbr

Australia 2012 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Orkney Grey

Mine is the same as Barton Freelander's but it has the USB / Cigarette lighter power connection, highly recommended.

I bought mine from www.holdmyphone.com.au they aren't cheap but they are good quality.

Post #182113 29th Apr 2013 1:33 am
Boycey

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

Be interested to hear how you get on Tims, as I am planning something similar.

I too chose a GS as in-phone satnavs are so good, but finding a good position is not so easy.

Also, does TomTom for iPhone App integrate properly via bluetooth (I mean do the instructions come via the car's audio system)? I use Google Maps app for iPhone, and usually the instructions are synced by BT, but sometimes not.

Anyway, be good to hear all about it when you've done it.

Post #182283 30th Apr 2013 4:10 pm
tims

Hi Boycey, will keep you posted..

Ended up ordering the right hand drive proclip as the LHD one would sit directly over the start button.. perhaps not the best position.

So, with a ProClip, phone holder & a 3m long Lightening cable hopefully arriving tomorrow, I'll see how it goes in terms of fitting it all & report back!

Haven't tried BT with TomTom yet in the 2013GS, but it worked great in the 2010GS. The car seemed to treat the TomTom BT voice as a phone and would mute the radio etc. whenever instructions were being played.
Would imagine the whole experience will be better in the 2013GS as for a start you can play music via BT so could leave the phone to handle music v. TomTom etc....

Post #182311 30th Apr 2013 8:10 pm
tims

iPhone mount - MY13

Fitted this today - a RHD Brodit proclip along with the appropriate iPhone 5 holder.

Parts:
RHD FL2 Proclip (http://www.dsldevelopments.com/brodit/fitt...lander%202)

iPhone 5 holder for devices with a thin case: http://www.dsldevelopments.com/brodit/fitt...iPhone%205

Plus, a standard Apple Lightening cable & a 1.5m USB extension cable.

Fitting really was about as straight forwards as it could get..
1. Fit the proclip, following the instructions to ease open a gap down the side of the dashboard with the supplied gap tool, push in the clip & then repeat to secure it at the side of the RH air vent

2. Screw the iPhone holder onto the Proclip

3. Push the Lightening cable into the clip, and tuck it into trim where possible, concealing it all the way back to the USB socket in the centre cubby/console.

Cable tucked into a convenient gap, routed towards the steering wheel & under the dash. Will probably see if I can tidy this up a little at some point, but don't think it's going to be a problem how it is as you can't see the cable when sat in the driver's seat normally.

Tucked out of the way under the steering wheel, and down underneath the panels so that it reaches the centre trim on the left hand side of the driver's footwell

.. behind which the extension lead / lightening cable connection is tucked along with a bit of excess extension lead.

From there, the USB extension is just tucked under the trim - nothing special...

No damage to the car, and all fully removable to reinstate factory condition when it's time to change the car Smile

So far, seems to work pretty well and although I'd probably prefer the phone to be on the other side, I can definitely see myself getting used to it in this position.

Post #182701 4th May 2013 1:55 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1