« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Matzker Strengthened Clutch
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Arrjo

Estonia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame
Matzker Strengthened Clutch

Hi, has anyone fitted the Matzker strengthened clutch for their Freelander 2?
I ordered one for mine in february and today it was fitted to my car but there's a problem with it: The car won't go into gear after fitting the new clutch. I can only put the first gear in if i push the clutch pedal extremely hard into the floor - that is not normal.
My mechanic said that the Matzker clutch is much thinner than the original clutch and probably therefore it creates a problem with the clutch bearing somehow and the car won't go into gear.

If anyone has fitted a Matzker Clutch then let me know and did you have to buy a new clutch bearing (i believe it's also called release bearing in some countries)? Or did you have to do any modifications in order to get the thing to work?
I checked Matzker's website just now and they aren't selling a strentghened clutch for the FL2 anymore, I guess I was their last customer who ordered one.. 2007 FL2 TD4 Tambora Flame

Post #181845 26th Apr 2013 8:25 pm
michal969

Czech Republic 

...interesting post..Looks like your clutch bearing has a short lift so it cannot fully disengage the clutch. There can be more reasons for the clutch not disengaging but if the overall thickness of the disc+cover is different from OE it should be its design fault.

More info would be helpful - what was the reason for changing first clutch ? Does the Matzker clutch cover use the same SAC system as OE ? If it does did the mechanic use a special tool for installing SAC clutches ? Did he check the flywheel or did he somehow modified it ? Did he bleed the system correctly ?

Post #181855 26th Apr 2013 9:22 pm
Arrjo

Estonia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

Hi michal969,
The reason for changing the first clutch was that I had read that the FL2 has a weak clutch and this winter I got stuck in a snowy ditch with my car and whilst trying to get out I managed to damage the original clutch so that the entire cabin filled with blue smoke. After that I decided to order a new and strengthened clutch and found one from Matzker in Germany.
The thickness of the Matzker clutch disc is thinner than the original clutch.
I don't know if the Matzker clutch cover uses the same SAC system. My mechanic did not modify anything whilst putting the new clutch in. He took the old one out and replaced it with the new and then he discovered that with the new clutch the car won't go into gear and he called me to ask if Matzker also sent me a new clutch bearing with the clutch, which they didn't.
I didn't manage to reach Matzker by e-mail today, hopefully next week I get a reply from them and get this thing sorted. 2007 FL2 TD4 Tambora Flame

Post #181861 26th Apr 2013 9:34 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1