« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > 'Grease Lightning' by Showroom Shine
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Kola's Kab

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey
'Grease Lightning' by Showroom Shine

'Grease Lighting' is a wax polish that you apply directly to the car, according to the manufactures whether the car is dirty or clean!

Having been tipped off to this product via this forum, i thought I'd give it a try.

Purchased via Amazon, I bought 2x Bottles plus 4 of the recommended micro-fibre cloths for 」30.....here are the results

For.........
1) Worried that applying to a dirty car, i 'soft' pressure washed it first to remove surface dust and dirt, then allowed it to air dry before application (but see footnote!)

2) Application was very easy using the the supplied spray bottle to apply a very thin film one panel at a time and one micro fibre cloth for speading it over evenly, clearly leaving a covering of wax as it was spred. This was followed by another cloth to polish to a very high shine, done in full sun without problem, and very easily done!

3) Everything (except the windscreen) got polished, thats all the other windows, the matt plastic bits, which left no white residue on them which you might expect with a wax polish

4) It was dead easy work, and really quite enjoyable producing the high shine result with very little effort!

Against (but only a bit;-)

1) They claim it only takes 30 mins to polish the car.....double that!

2) They claim a 1 ltr bottle is good for 10 polishes, I used just under 250ml so 5 polishes is more likely!

3) Having done Wifey's Freelander with it, my Jag looks disgusting Hmmm job for tomorrow methinks dammit!!!!

Footnote Althouh I washed the car first, I kinda 'forgot' the roof.....Well its high and who looks up there anyway;-)
So, after the stunning results obtained I decided to try a small section applying it to a very dirty roof. Well amazing as it sounds, the wax cleansed as it was applied and polished off without a hint of scratching or damage!

Lastly...... I have no affiliation to this product, and thank the guys over on the camping and caraving section of this forum for the initial recommendation!
This post has been edited by the site administration team
This post has been moved to correct section as its about maintaining the cars appearence
 Kola is the big solid black German Shepherd, Dobbie is.......a breed you've never heard of......yet;)

Last edited by Kola's Kab on 25th Apr 2013 7:46 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #181713 25th Apr 2013 6:07 pm
chrisr1806

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Sounds good. I need to go down to Halfords and buy car cleaning stuff, and maybe a pressure washer. Wink

Post #181730 25th Apr 2013 7:36 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Try cleanstore for your pressure washer, some bargains in the regraded section, nilfisk are excellent especially when compared to karcher or cheaper models

http://www.cleanstore.co.uk/products/produ...ADED-STOCK Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #181733 25th Apr 2013 7:44 pm
EYorkshire

The only thing that has been stopping me from trying it out is 'it just don't seem right' but I will have to put my beliefs aside and give it a go.

Post #181734 25th Apr 2013 7:45 pm
chrisr1806

I'm thinking of claying my FL2. But I'm not sure how to do it. I will have to do some more research.

Thanks for the link Nick, I would probably buy one of those Nilfisk pressure washers if I could find any in stock! Sad

Post #181736 25th Apr 2013 7:48 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

If your washing your cars before hand, I can't see the point in using it

Might as well use another sealant, like gtechniq c1.5 which will last longer, I also have a speed wax, bilt hamber hydro wax, which is very wipe on wipe off and quick

Saying that I bought some GL for the caravan Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #181738 25th Apr 2013 7:50 pm
chrisr1806

When I've washed cars before, I've just used some Turtle Wax Car shampoo I got for 」3! Shocked (It is good though) I've never used wax or clay or anything like that and I would really like to learn, so I'm going to buy a new wash mitt and other kit to get me started. Shows how much I know. Rolling Eyes

Post #181740 25th Apr 2013 8:01 pm
JustChillin

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Zermatt Silver

Kola,
Glad you have found "Greased Lightning Showroom Shine", i have been using this product now for about the last five years or more, so this is not a new product by any means. Just to reasure you that i use this product all the time, spraying directly onto very dirty vehicles will not scratch or harm the paintwork in anyway shape or form. I can understand why you were a bit sceptical and power washed your freely the first time you used the "Showroom Shine" but i believe you really did`nt need to do that as it sort of defeats the object of what this product is supposed to do and does.

Which is when sprayed directly onto paintwork or the microfibre cloth it then encapsulates each grain of dirt & grime lifting it off individually from the paintwork without scratching it. Of course if you have taken the Fl2 off roading and its absolutly caked in mud then a quick hose down would`nt hurt, but general everyday dirt & grime (No Water Needed).

Just to stress i have no affiliation to "Greased Lightning" or any of its products, its just that i have used this stuff for many years now on some quite valuable vehicles and would not hesitate in its endorsement, to all those that are sitting on the fence, jump down and grab yourself a bottle in my honest opinion i think you will be very pleased with the ease of use, shine and protection this product can give.

Cheers JC...... Thumbs Up Very Happy (PS) Try it on your shower doors it works a treat Thumbs Up

Post #181741 25th Apr 2013 8:04 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

chrisr1806 wrote:
I'm thinking of claying my FL2. But I'm not sure how to do it. I will have to do some more research.

Thanks for the link Nick, I would probably buy one of those Nilfisk pressure washers if I could find any in stock! Sad

I did a 'step by step' under 'Maintenance & Modifications Thumbs Up Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #181742 25th Apr 2013 8:05 pm
archie98

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

For 」30 Kola you could have got 15 bottles of Astonish spray and shine and it would have done exactly what you have done.I use it all the time and well pleased with it but most people dismiss it as it is cheap

Post #181743 25th Apr 2013 8:09 pm
chrisr1806

I had completely forgotten about that! Embarassed Thanks for that, it was very useful and I will certainly have a go at claying my car. If my Santorini black HSE looked nearly as good as yours did, I would be very happy.

Cheers Thumbs Up

Post #181744 25th Apr 2013 8:10 pm
Badger1970

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

My review from the other day......bottom of page 2 including pics...

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic11827.htm...p;start=15 Foraging near Gaydon....
覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
MY13 HSE Lux SD4, Baltic Blue - current, 30,000> miles without fault
MY12 HSE 2.2 SD4, Sumatra Black - gone after 10 months/43,000 fault-free miles

Post #181746 25th Apr 2013 8:17 pm
Chris B

United Kingdom 

I'm also trialling this as the guy I sold my previous car to (G4 Disco 2) swears by in and my old truck looks brilliant. I also feel very nervous about micro-scratches to use it without a prior wash-off but I've used it on selected dusty panels and it does seem to work. Autoglym shampoo, resin polish, extra gloss and high definition wax have been my mainstay until now. Doing a bit of both until I am convinced! Gone... 2013 XS TD4 Manual Firenze Red
Gone... 2008 (09MY) XS Td4 Manual Stornaway Grey
Prior... 2003 G4 Discovery 2, 1998 Disco 1 and 1997 Disco 1 Company car before that
Also gone in Nov'13, after 7.5 yrs, to new owners with time for more TLC - 1980 Series III 88
Current 2015 Discovery Sport HSE 2.0

Post #181758 25th Apr 2013 9:57 pm
Wedge

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Just ordered a free trial, well its free and if its as good as it looks its wirth a try.

Always been a Pureguard fan so far, wonder if this will tempt me away.

IF anyone else is interested in a free trial here is the link
http://greasedlightning.co.uk/t-samplepack.aspx

Post #181760 25th Apr 2013 10:23 pm
steve t

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the link wedge,Just ordered a freebie Thumbs Up

Post #181761 25th Apr 2013 10:47 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>