Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > SMOKE... HELP.....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Rock Lobster

United Kingdom 
SMOKE... HELP.....

Hi. I was hoping someone may point me in the right direction. I have a 2007 Freelander2 (Diesel). It is a excellent machine, however of late it has began to smoke a little first thing in the morning. This is white smoke. It only lasts about 15 seconds then seems fine. This has been happeneing for a couple of weeks. It appears to be getting slightly worse, as this morning it lasted about 30 seconds and was a bit jittery whilst idling. I will be taking it for a service in the next couple of weeks anyway I just wanted to make sure it is not fatal, and also so I get an idea of the problem before I go to a garage and get raped for a new engine or something daft!.

Post #178433 2nd Apr 2013 10:34 am
JST

France 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Narvik Black

White smoke on start up is usually unburnt diesel. It could be your glowplugs are not working properly if the smoke goes away when the engine is running.

If not glowplugs, you are looking at possible loss of compression on one cylinder which starts to get expensive. John
07 HSE Narvick Black
Land Rover Series One
Triumph Rocket 111 (sadly gone!)

Post #178437 2nd Apr 2013 10:57 am
fredastaire

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black
Smoke

Before any of us comment please can you answer the following
1/. Is it using any engine oil, if so is it using any more than say a year ago?
2/. Is it using any antifreeze coolant (it shouldn't use any).
3/. Does the engine run a little roughly for those first moments before settling down to an even idle speed.
If its only item 3 you might have one or more duff heater glow plugs and the smoke is unburnt diesel.

Kind regards
Fred

Post #178438 2nd Apr 2013 10:59 am
Rock Lobster

United Kingdom 

Hi,

Thanks for the prompt reply. Answers to questions:

1/. It doesn't appear to use any oil at all nor has it ever.
2./ I am not sure abou the coolant. Its the same coolant that was in it when I bought it six months ago. I did not buy privately, and it was a Landrover bloke that I bought it off.
3./ It does run a little roughly for a few moments. I normally just sit on the drive for 30 seconds until it passes.

So hopefully its the heater glow plug then. I will now investigate if that is something I can do myself. Thanks very much for all your help.

Post #178445 2nd Apr 2013 11:31 am
EYorkshire

With it running roughly for a few seconds on startup but with no loss of performance once under way, it is almost certainly unburnt fuel.

There are threads on here regarding changing the glowplugs and they are not the easiest to do.

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic11567.html?highlight=glowplugs

Post #178448 2nd Apr 2013 11:57 am
fredastaire

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black
Glow plugs

If you search on the forum you will find two major posts detailing how to change them. For one of them I am the author.
I found them easy to change and made two long reach sockets. I have over 40 years of extensive home mechanicing so it was straightforward; if you don't have experience then it might be prudent to arrange for it to be done by a professional. if your garage is not LR perhaps you might print off both sets of instruction/how to and take these for discussion to get a sensible quote.

It makes sense to fit a new diesel filter whilst you have all in bits.
Regards
Fred 2010GS Auto ex Celeb, Santorini Black, 2011 facelift , spoiler, spats, mudflaps, LED footwell lamps, Witter detach,
Other cars:-
1958 & 1959 Austin J40 Pedal Cars under restoration (I make many J40 parts)
If you have an Austin J40 or Pathfinder Pedal Car looking for a new home pls PM me.
2009 Meriva

Post #178451 2nd Apr 2013 12:28 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Rough running for the first 20 seconds or so is quite normal. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #178458 2nd Apr 2013 2:50 pm
EYorkshire

I disagree, 20 seconds or so is too long.
Therefore mine and many others must be abnormal if a couple of seconds after starting it settles into a smooth tickover Confused

Post #178487 2nd Apr 2013 5:34 pm
defenderben

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

Classic sign of not warmed up enough.
My freelander only on really, really cold days (-3/4 sort of area) will do it occasionally almost as if firing on 3 cylinders all lumpy and smoke then after about 5/10seconds it smoothes out and clears.

If it is happening to you on colder mornings, it is worth putting ignition on first without depressing the clutch wait 5 seconds or so, then dip the clutch and press the button again. This gives the glow plugs chance to warm up if they are getting a bit worn. Best bet is get new glow plugs fitted.

When it is all lumpy and smoking you are chucking diesel down the exhaust into the cat which kills them and if it was newer with a DPF, it will kill that too.

My Defender did it this weekend after being stood for 5 weeks and I only did the glow plugs once as I was in a hurry, but it then ran all lumpy and smokey longer than it would have taken to do 2 x glow plugs Wink

Regards
Ben (GONE) FL2 2008 SE (manual) Santorini Black, the expensive one Sad
(LEFT WITH) 300tdi Defender 90 the cold, reliable & sensible one Smile

Post #178491 2nd Apr 2013 5:48 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I got told at the weekend that;

black diesel smoke is unburnt fuel through overfuelling

white diesel smoke is unburnt fuel through lack of complete atomisation in the cylinder (or something similar!)

Basically if it's just for the first few seconds when starting it's ok (other than it looks worrying!)...when clap cold the engine is out of its operating range in regards to temperature. It does seem like one or a couple potentially glow plugs failing though.

If you start byt pressing the starter button to turn the ignition on, leave for a few seconds after the glow plug light has extinguished and then start, is it as bad? If the pplugs are on the way out then this will give them more chance to warm up before starting rather than using the automated procedure, and help diagnose Thumbs Up Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #178591 3rd Apr 2013 10:20 am
wiggy

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver
Covered ?

Mine does this as well. Is this work covered by the £65 a month extended warranty ?

Post #178676 4th Apr 2013 8:01 am
defenderben

If they failed during the manufactures main 3 year warranty period I would expect them to be replaced.

I personally would of classed it as a service replaceable part , like any other serviceable part with a certain life expectancy.

It will be interesting to see if it is deemed a failed part under the terms of an extended warranty claim (failure due to manufactures defect etc).

Regards (GONE) FL2 2008 SE (manual) Santorini Black, the expensive one Sad

Post #178754 4th Apr 2013 7:09 pm
wiggy

LAND ROVER SELECT WARRANTY

Covered.

Engine
Air conditioning
Manual gearbox
Braking system
Automatic gearbox
Turbo unit
Differential
Fuel system(petrol and diesel)
Drive line
Casings
Suspension
Clutch
Steering
Electrics
Cooling system
Transfer box

Post #178772 4th Apr 2013 8:17 pm
wiggy

The Land Rover Select Warranty is exclusively for vehicles that fall outside the Approved vehicle age and mileage limitations and are up to 10 years old and have covered less than 100,000 miles at the time of purchase, and is only available through an authorised Land Rover dealer. It provides up to 25,000 miles warranty cover from the date of purchase with a £3,000 individual claim limit on named components (such as gearbox, engine, air conditioning and fuel system) for mechanical and electrical failure. The minimum duration of warranty cover provided with Select used vehicles is 6 months. However it is possible to extend this cover to 12 or 24 months at the time of purchase. Please ask your dealer for details. .

This Land Rover Warranty includes:
- Mechanical and Electrical Breakdown Warranty
- Land Rover Assistance and Accident Services
- MOT Test Warranty
- 25,000 miles per annum restriction
- £3,000 individual claim limit

The following are covered against mechanical or electrical breakdown.

Engine
Failure of the following internal mechanical parts: Starter ring gear, flywheel, oil pump, crankshaft and bearings, timing gears, chains and belts, camshafts, cam followers, tappet gear, valves and guides, pistons and rings, cylinder bores, con rods, cylinder head, cylinder head gaskets and all internal bushings (excluding lacquered valves).

Manual Gearbox
Failure of the following internal mechanical parts: Selectors and shafts, gears, bearings and bushes, synchromesh hubs and shafts, gearbox ECU.

Automatic Gearbox
Failure of the following internal mechanical parts: Torque converter, gears, clutches, brake bands, valve block, governor, oil pump, bearings and bushes, gearbox ECU.

Differential
Failure of the following internal mechanical parts: Crown wheel and pinion, gears, shafts, bearings and bushes, front and rear differentials.

Drive Line
Failure of the following mechanical parts: Propshaft including universal joints and bearings, half shafts, external drive shafts, universal joints and C/V joints.

Suspension
Failure of the following parts: Airbags, shock absorbers, ball joints, springs, compressor, valve block, height sensors and anti-roll bar.

Steering
Failure of the following parts: Steering box, steering rack, pressure pipes, PAS pump and fluid reservoir.

Cooling System
Failure of the following parts: Water pump, thermostat and radiator. All other parts and damage caused by frost or as a result of lack of anti-freeze are excluded.

Air Conditioning
Failure of the following parts: Compressor, condenser, receiver dryer and evaporator. Re-gassing is excluded except as part of a valid claim.

Braking System
Failure of the following parts: Servo, master cylinder, wheel cylinders, calipers, brake limiter valve and ABS components but excluding hoses, pipes and wiring.

Turbo Unit
Failure of the Turbo unit only.

Fuel System
Failure of the following parts: Fuel injection systems (excluding Injectors), fuel lift pump, cold start device, tank sender unit, fuel gauge and fuel ECU. But excluding pipes and damage caused by contamination and/or inappropriate fuel.

Clutch
Failure of the clutch plate, clutch cover and thrust bearing including failure due to oil contamination, but excluding external linkages, cables, burnt out parts and general wear and tear. Limited to one clutch repair during the period of warranty cover.

Electrics
Failure of the following parts: Starter, alternator, regulator, coil, distributor, windscreen wiper and windscreen washer pump motors, flasher relay, heater fan motor, horn, electronic ignition system, hazard flasher relay, heated rear screen element, electrical switches, BECM, window motors, window regulators, central door locking motors and handbrake control module. Excludes all wiring.

Transfer Box
Failure of the following internal mechanical parts: Third differential, gears, shafts and bearings, bushes and viscous coupling.

Casings
Engine, gearbox/transmission, final drive casings are covered, provided they have been damaged as a direct consequence of the failure of one of the above parts. Damage as a result of accident, by frost or due to lack of anti-freeze or oil is excluded.

Oil Seals/Gaskets
Failure of any oil-seal or gasket which the manufacturer states requires the removal of a major component, i.e. engine, gearbox, or rear axle, to effect the repair.

Consumables
Oil, oil filter, gaskets, hoses and anti-freeze needed because a covered part listed, in the 'What your Select Cover Includes' section of this policy has failed.

Maximum Claim Limit
Maximum up to £3,000 (plus VAT) per claim up to a total value of the vehicle's purchase price in aggregate during the period of the Warranty. The Warranty will provide cover for your vehicle for up to 25,000 miles during the term of the Warranty and from the date of vehicle purchase.

What your Select Cover Doesn't Include:
- You are not covered for external oil leaks, lubricants, filter elements and any damage caused by frost due to lack of anti-freeze or oil, impact, accident or negligence.
- You are not covered for components failing due to normal wear and tear.
- Any damage or losses to components not directly covered under the terms and conditions of this warranty.
- Damage which has occurred as a result of any accessory being fitted (unless the accessory is approved by the manufacturer for use on the vehicle and fitted according to instructions provided by the manufacturer of the accessory).
- All wiring.
- Water ingress.
- Any loss, damage or failure which occurs while the vehicle is outside the geographical territories of the UK, European Union or EFTA countries.
- Left hand drive vehicles and Grey Import vehicles.

Cover under this Warranty may only be granted to individuals residing, or corporate bodies registered, in the United Kingdom.

Servicing Requirements
It is a condition of the Warranty that your vehicle is serviced in accordance with the manufacturer's guidelines. Throughout the warranty period a franchised Land Rover dealer or a VAT registered garage should carry out all servicing and repair work. Services must be carried out within 500 miles/one month of the intervals specified by the vehicle manufacturer, whichever comes first.

Additional Benefits

Land Rover Assistance and Accident Services
Land Rover Assistance is a comprehensive roadside assistance service, designed specifically for Land Rover drivers to promote absolute peace of mind. All Land Rover Select Vehicles are covered for the duration of the warranty period with UK and European Roadside Assistance. This operates 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and includes home start, car hire, vehicle re-delivery and accommodation. This service provides assistance to you and your vehicle, from immobilisation due to breakdown or accident to minor emergencies such as a puncture.

Accident Services
Accident Services is designed to assist you during the repair process following a road traffic accident. In the event of an accident, to ensure that your vehicle is repaired to Land Rover's original manufacturing specifications, please contact the Accident Services team who will look after your claim from start to finish. Initially, you will be asked for details of the incident, extent of damage and details of any third party involved.

Car Hire
If you have a valid claim, you may claim reimbursement for car hire, but not including fuel and insurance. You are responsible for the first 24 hours that you cannot use your own vehicle. After this period, you can claim for a replacement vehicle for up to seven days. You or your Land Rover dealer must obtain telephone approval from the Warranty Administrator before you use this service. Any replacement vehicle must be from a bona fide hire company or Land Rover dealer.

Overseas Cover
This Warranty will cover your vehicle while it is outside the United Kingdom in Europe for up to 60 days during the period of warranty. If your vehicle has a breakdown in any country, which is a member of the European Union or EFTA (European Free Trade Association), you will be entitled to authorise a repair by any Land Rover dealer. You will be required to pay the full cost of repair on completion and should submit a claim for reimbursement upon your return to the UK.

Warranty Extensions
Extensions to the Warranty are available subject to your vehicle meeting the Select age and mileage criteria. Please ask your Land Rover dealer before the Warranty is due to end and they will handle your request.

Warranty Transfer
If you sell your vehicle privately you can transfer the benefits of this Warranty to the subsequent owner or user of the vehicle.

MOT Test Warranty
Vehicles over 2 years old are provided with a 1 Year MOT Test Warranty. When your vehicle is required to take its next MOT Test, any repairs that may result are covered up to the value of £750 (£50 excess payable).
MOT Test Warranty covers the cost of repair, replacement and/or adjustment to the vehicle of specified parts which are covered as a direct consequence of such parts being cited in a 'notification of refusal to issue an MOT certificate' (form VT30) prepared during the period of cover, as causing the vehicle to fail its MOT test. Accidental damage is not covered under this MOT Test Warranty.

The Land Rover MOT Test Warranty only applies provided that the MOT Test falls due and is completed during the period of cover provided by the Warranty package. Only one MOT Test Warranty claim is permissible during the duration of the Warranty period.

Important:
The MOT Test Warranty does not cover accidental or malicious damage or neglect. This MOT Test Warranty does not cover the MOT test and re-test fee.

For terms and conditions please refer to your dealer or read the Land Rover Select Used Vehicles Warranty handbook.

Post #178775 4th Apr 2013 8:27 pm
defenderben

Worth a try under cold start device, under fuel system if that is their description of glow plugs.
Regards (GONE) FL2 2008 SE (manual) Santorini Black, the expensive one Sad

Post #178785 4th Apr 2013 9:03 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>