Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Headlight Modification
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
robertsm66

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black
Headlight Modification

Hi
Has anyone any experience or knowledge about removing the headlights from a 2013 Freelander 2 or any year really, dismantling them in order to retro fit neon el wire's to replicated the signature strips.

The electrical side is pretty simple, however I have no idea if it's possible to remove the front lens / cover in order to access the back panel.

On visual inspection it looks like it should unclip from the main body, however in my experience nothing is every that easy.

Many thanks in advance

Robert

Post #177803 28th Mar 2013 11:30 pm
sparkybaz

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

ive heard its done by putting the headlight in the oven to make the adhesive soft so it can be cut then replaced

Post #178013 30th Mar 2013 2:19 pm
robertsm66

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Thanks Baz, I've found some posts and apparently its not too difficult if you take your time. I've also sourced a new pair of 2013 Headlights without the signature strips off ebay....so if all goes wrong I've got back up lights....if it goes well...I'll sell them.

Basically the signature strip is made up of electroluminescent wire which is easily sourced and installed. I'll use a timed relay to allow the lights to come on with the DRL's and stay for about 20secs after the DRLS are off.

I know it's a lot of work for a little gimmick but if you can't have a play with your new car what can you do.

I'm now thinking I should of paid an extra £4k for an HSE or been a little more patient and spec'd the car from new rather than taking a stock XS (with plenty of options mind). Although atleast this way I had money to buy a good set of alloys and lots of extra toys.

I may try and document my little project and post the results..............as long as it turns out well !

Rob

Post #178051 30th Mar 2013 7:01 pm
sparkybaz

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

keep us informed interested myself

Post #178058 30th Mar 2013 7:22 pm
Freely2

Australia 

My MY11 xenon light has some of the trim inside loose. I would like open the front cover to fix it back in place. I've read about using an oven to open certain lights. Has anyone tried this on one of the older xenons. I understand that some of the newer headlights do not use thermoplastic glues and I don't want to bake my headlight if it's not likely to work.

Post #354895 13th Aug 2018 3:51 am
Germplus1

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Zermatt Silver
Signature strip

Buy a headlights and the seller is not sure if its signature strip of not. How can I know the difference?

robertsm66 wrote:
Thanks Baz, I've found some posts and apparently its not too difficult if you take your time. I've also sourced a new pair of 2013 Headlights without the signature strips off ebay....so if all goes wrong I've got back up lights....if it goes well...I'll sell them.

Basically the signature strip is made up of electroluminescent wire which is easily sourced and installed. I'll use a timed relay to allow the lights to come on with the DRL's and stay for about 20secs after the DRLS are off.

I know it's a lot of work for a little gimmick but if you can't have a play with your new car what can you do.

I'm now thinking I should of paid an extra �4k for an HSE or been a little more patient and spec'd the car from new rather than taking a stock XS (with plenty of options mind). Although atleast this way I had money to buy a good set of alloys and lots of extra toys.

I may try and document my little project and post the results..............as long as it turns out well !

Rob

Post #390984 9th May 2020 3:19 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1