Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Unable to clear "Oil Service at Main Dealer" messa
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
ginjez

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Surely the garage where you took your vehicle are at fault for not advising you they would not be able to clear the message. In defence of the main dealers - why would they want to help to finish off a job that someone else has been paid for? Neutral
If you build up a relationship with the service department manager at main dealer then the benefits outweigh paying slightly more at service times and buyers always like to see dealer stamps in the book. Just speaking from my own experiences - prices are always negotiated and I've never been charged for loan cars (my wife loved driving the new ewok for the day this week)

Post #299139 22nd May 2016 7:47 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

For what it's worth I once had LR Assist at my house looking at a diff problem and mentioned that the Oil Service message was showing. The guy said that he wasn't allowed to clear it even though his computer had the software to do so. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #299145 22nd May 2016 8:34 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Ignore it.

I stopped noticing it after a week, probably less! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #299151 22nd May 2016 9:28 am
Boroboy

United Kingdom 

Found this on fleabay:- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Landrover-RangeR...SwXshWqJzw
This sort of manufacturer practice should be outlawed. As we can have it serviced by a vat registered garage to retain warranty.
Not that I have this issue, mines on a 58 plate. Neither would I now buy a car that had to be serviced by a dealer only. Landy has now gone.

Post #299370 24th May 2016 10:09 pm
sandy2210

United Kingdom 

fadig wrote:
Brazilian tip:

1. Turn on the ignition switch
2. Open the hood
3. Open the driver door
4. Note: Manintenance resetting information is not displayed on the instrument cluster. Fully depress the accelerator pedal, and brake pedal, and hold for 60s.
5. Turn off the ignition switch
6. Turn on the igntion switch and check whether manintenance information is cleared
7. If maintenance information is not cleared, repeat the procedure.

thought this was a pi$$ take but just tried it on my 11 plate and it seems to have cleared it !!!!!!!!!! Bow down Thumbs Up

Post #301800 2nd Jul 2016 8:07 am
Aveling

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Firenze Red

I will agree with above - just carried out the above procedure on mine - 2010, 60 plate car.
Message now gone.

Post #301829 3rd Jul 2016 1:07 pm
gravon 42

United Kingdom 2013 LR2 TD4 Dynamic Manual Santorini Black

WELL DONE SANDY!!! It works. Rolling with laughter Bow down Bow down 2013 Dynamic Santorini black
2011 XS Lago grey
2007 HLS Stornoway grey
sometimes towing an Elldis AVANTE 574.

Post #302086 6th Jul 2016 8:43 am
charisme1

France 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Santorini Black

fadig wrote:
Brazilian tip:

2. Open the hood
3. Open the driver door
4. Note: Manintenance resetting information is not displayed on the instrument cluster. Fully depress the accelerator pedal, and brake pedal, and hold for 60s.
6. Turn on the igntion switch and check whether manintenance information is cleared

You're right fadig ! It worked for me on my MY11. The "oil servie required visit dealer" popped up in my car just 3000 km after servicing it by LR. So I was obliged to change the oil because it was polluted by diesel due to DPF. I'm 100 % sure about it because when I serviced the car, oil was on maximum when I controlled it. When the message showed 3000 km after, I checked the oil level and it was 1 cm 1/2 above the maximum level. So oil quantity increased due to an active regeneration of the DPF (although I go at least once a week on highway so it can has a normal passive regen). So beware, if you got this message, you have to change the oil and don't just turn it off.

Cheers ! Julien Freelander 2 TD4 S / Santorini black / Genuine factory GPS with Bluetooth phone connection / Front and Rear parking aids

Post #305622 29th Aug 2016 8:59 pm
sid

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

fadig wrote:
Brazilian tip:

2. Open the hood
3. Open the driver door
fantastico Very Happy

Post #305623 29th Aug 2016 9:17 pm
Radeco

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Lago Grey

iCarsoft LRII LR2 or Gap Diagnostic IID BT will reset 12 month service and Oil service warnings (and also many other faults) G4 Freelander 2005 V6 HSE Stage 1 Thailand/Laos. HQ Support YZT
Grey Freelander 2 2011 SD4 HSE - Works Van - gone to a new home.

Post #305632 30th Aug 2016 7:12 am
sparkyfletch

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Well thank you Brazil after three years of dealer service I went independent this year and suffered the warning with my garage trying all sorts of different tricks. I thought the Brazilian tip was a wind up but it bloody worked on my 12 plate. 2012 GS Converted-
The Best Commercial by Four by Far

Post #305674 30th Aug 2016 6:00 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Give the man a gold medal! Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #305678 30th Aug 2016 6:47 pm
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

The oil service required visit dealer message is not a service message, it is indeed to do with the DPF regen.
When the vehicle is serviced, new oil is put in. The vehicle needs to know this, so it can reset it's oil counter to zero.
It then keeps track of the number of DPF regenerations & partial regenerations. Once it has reached a specific limit the 'oil service visit dealer' message comes up, which is independent of the service reset & based solely on the likelihood of oil dilution with diesel because of the partial regenerations.

When the DPF (Diesel particulate filter) needs cleaning, the engine system injects diesel on the exhaust stroke of the engine, in effect pushing this diesel into the exhaust, allowing the CAT to heat up, by burning this diesel, to then clear out the DPF.
The downside of this is it creates a small amount of bore wash allowing some diesel into the sump, diluting it.

The Freelander just counts how many times it injects the diesel, then puts the warning on, to advise you the service needs bringing forward, or risk poor engine lubrication.

A lot of time when the vehicle is serviced, the person servicing it is unfamiliar with the need to reset the oil counter as well as the service reset, and the aftermarket multi makes tools haven't added this function, or if there doesn't work well.
I didn't know of the manual way of doing it, so thanks from Brazil!
We used to use SDD, but iid is much quicker & completes both routines in one go!

HTH
regards
Steve

Post #305752 31st Aug 2016 3:00 pm
westville

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

Good explanation Steve and sound advice - Don't just switch it off - do something about the trigger cause Thumbs Up No Longer the owner of a 2013MY Fuji White GS

"Fiat Lux" a philosophy not a car

Post #305789 31st Aug 2016 9:56 pm
the lost dude

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Mr Sceptical is no longer so sceptical.......

Well, I couldn't believe the suggested way to delete the message but I tried it and it worked for me too so a very big thank you for the information Thumbs Up

Post #306427 9th Sep 2016 6:13 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 6 <123456>