« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > MY13 Front LED cluster not coming on
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Free2go

Australia 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Fuji White
MY13 Front LED cluster not coming on

The front round LED cluster wont come on when I turn the park lights, main lights, or fog lights on. Tried with the engine off and running no go. They do however come on when I unlock the car - they flash on for a second then go off. I think they should come on in the Park lights position. The rest of the LED signature comes on but not the round cluster.
Anyone else have this problem?
Just thought I'd put it out there before I take it in for a warranty claim. "I'm a fuel injected suicide machine"

Post #173642 1st Mar 2013 11:27 am
Chris B

United Kingdom 

All OK with mine - just been and checked as I never see the lights on from outside the car!

That's a really odd fault if the LEDs work on the unlock light-up but not on the switch. Off to the dealer I'm afraid and don't be surprised if there is a new light unit fitted. Either that or its a wiring or CAN fault.

Good luck and let us know the solutin just in case it comes up again. Gone... 2013 XS TD4 Manual Firenze Red
Gone... 2008 (09MY) XS Td4 Manual Stornaway Grey
Prior... 2003 G4 Discovery 2, 1998 Disco 1 and 1997 Disco 1 Company car before that
Also gone in Nov'13, after 7.5 yrs, to new owners with time for more TLC - 1980 Series III 88
Current 2015 Discovery Sport HSE 2.0

Post #173657 1st Mar 2013 12:50 pm
oznut

Australia 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Alaska White

FWIW, my LED cluster light does not turn on when parking light is on too...it does show when the lights are turned off though..functioning as the DRL ... I believe the cluster is the DRL and only meant to turn on if the lights are off...ie. used during the day... P.S. I could be wrong though... 8o)

Post #173990 4th Mar 2013 4:08 am
confoederatius

Switzerland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Fuji White

Thats the same with mine, the cluster is only on for DLR. But thats also how its meant to be, compare with the promo videos. There is also only the signature on when any other light is turned on.

Post #174153 5th Mar 2013 6:01 am
Chris B

United Kingdom 

Check your indicator stalk. The round LED does not light on the side when the indicator is on.

I learned this today wiating to enter a roundabout with my right indiator on behind a car to see my lights reflected - thought the RH LED DRL had failed! Gone... 2013 XS TD4 Manual Firenze Red
Prior... 2003 G4 Discovery 2, 1998 Disco 1 and 1997 Disco 1 Company car before that
Also gone in Nov'13, after 7.5 yrs, to new owners with time for more TLC - 1980 Series III 88

Post #174260 5th Mar 2013 8:47 pm
freeky

2013 Freelander 2 TD4 S Auto Santorini Black

same with mine, but there must be a coding option or adaptation to have it on all the time, is there a forum member that looks at this sort of thing?

Post #174285 5th Mar 2013 10:42 pm
oznut

Australia 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Alaska White

I actually prefer that when the indicator is on, the DRL on the indicator side is off ... gives it more focus as the DRL is quite bright and by turning it off when the indicator is on, gives the indicator some focus. That is how many car manufacturers eg. audi, mercs have done it too.. when we first drove our car from the showroom, I thought the DRL had malfunctioned... Very Happy my heart skipped a beat

Post #174295 6th Mar 2013 12:14 am
Chris B

United Kingdom 

I agree that indicator needs to be clear and, thinking about it more, I think LR has got this right:

* DLRs are there to make the vehicle safely conspicuous when driving, hence on with engine running (and not in Park if auto) when owner has NOT selected to use lights (switch is Off or on Auto and sufficiently light)
* When indicator is used, DRL on that side turns off so as not to detract from the indicator flashing nearby.
* If owner turns on headlights or fog lights, car is well-illuminated and DRLs are not required.
* Side lights lights are really parking lights or position lights - meant for when the car is parked (hence also DRLs off in Park if auto), they are not meant to cast any useful light onto the road but if you use them when moving, that's your choice; hence no DRLs

Contrary to my first reply suggesting a failure, I think Free2go's lamps are working as they are designed to. Gone... 2013 XS TD4 Manual Firenze Red

Post #174335 6th Mar 2013 3:48 pm
Free2go

Australia 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Fuji White

freeky wrote:
same with mine, but there must be a coding option or adaptation to have it on all the time, is there a forum member that looks at this sort of thing?

Just had the dealer look at the programming for the DRL's. Turns out that mine were not activated within the programming options. "I'm a fuel injected suicide machine"

Post #196675 28th Aug 2013 3:31 am
G4LAND

Mexico 2013 LR2 2.0T HSE Lux Auto Havana

I do not know if I understand, because my English is pretty bad. These LEDs only light up when the car is moving. at first, I thought that did not work and finally saw them reflected in a car in front of me Laughing Yuri
(ARS) XE1UN, EA1HCZ

13 LR2 (FL2) HSE Lux SI4
Havana/Black
(Mexico)

08 LR2 (FL2) SE
Tambora/Black
(Mexico GONE)

05 DISCOVERY 3 G4 V8
Tangiers Orange/Black
(Spain)

13 RANGE ROVER SPORT HSE SDV6
Orkney Grey / Ebony (Black)