« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > TRAVELLING WITH A DOG IN THE BACK
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
realspeed

United Kingdom 
TRAVELLING WITH A DOG IN THE BACK

Having been a dog owner for more that 40 years and also running a boarding kennel for 20 years I can speak from some experience. Forget about dog guards they just a e not worth it. The problems are either they are only the expanded type that wedge from roof to floor and side to side, invariably they move or don't fit properly, or a dog can squeeze through or push them over. Not only that the dog WILL leave nose marks on the back/side window. Even manufactures ones made for the vehicle don't do the job properly

So whats the answer? a travelling crate big enough for the dog to move around in. There is absolutely no risk of suddenly finding the back of your neck getting licked or the dog thinking they can drive better than you. The law actually states dogs whilst travelling in a vehicle must be restrained away from the driver, or words to similar effect

Realspeed Ex 2010 Freelander2 GS-e Diesel manual Silver owner

Post #172244 19th Feb 2013 4:26 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

really depends on the owner/dog relationship. ( I would never have needed to put my dog in a crate )

but I would agree that if you were to run boarding kennels then a crate would probably be the better option for transporting various dogs.

Iain

Post #172246 19th Feb 2013 4:49 pm
EYorkshire

I agree with a dog that doesn't behave in a car whereas my dog knows it is his space and happily sits/lies in the back, has never tried to climb over the seats even without the guard in place.
I'm also not fussy about the mess she makes, I can soon clean that.

The only positive for a cage would be in the event of an accident or emergency braking, it would then be better for the dog and the occupants.

Post #172254 19th Feb 2013 5:19 pm
kuaka

United States 2013 LR2 2.0T HSE Lux Auto Barolo Black

My dog is happy to lie down in the cargo area and remain there without protest. However, when I had to bring a friend's dog along for the ride, I hadn't yet backed out of the driveway when the dog had vaulted the back seats and was halfway to the front seats before I realized why people install the floor-to-ceiling guards. 2013 LR2 HSE LUX: 2.0L I4; Barolo Black, Ebony Windsor Leather; Navigation, Satellite Radio, Cold Weather Pack, Piano Black Trim.

Post #172262 19th Feb 2013 5:56 pm
JST

France 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Narvik Black

It is not just about dog behaviour. As EY alluded to, in the event of an accident, even a small dog hitting you in the back of the head can do serious damage so imagine what a flying lab/GS etc. could do! John
07 HSE Narvick Black
Land Rover Series One
Triumph Rocket 111 (sadly gone!)

Post #172272 19th Feb 2013 7:15 pm
garioch43

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

My pooch is quite happy to stay in the boot space. She wears a harness which attaches to one of the anchor points, which acts as a "seat belt" for her and our safety.

Click image to enlarge
 garioch43

2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE - Santorini Black/Black Leather
2002 MGF 1.8i - British Racing Green/Cream Leather with loads of walnut and chrome bits

Post #172406 20th Feb 2013 4:53 pm
archie98

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

As already said in an accident a dog flying at you can do a lot of damage,my springer is happy to travel in the back and never jumps over the seats but I always use a lintran box as it is safer for both of us.

Post #172407 20th Feb 2013 5:02 pm
ad210358

England 

garioch43 wrote:
My pooch is quite happy to stay in the boot space. She wears a harness which attaches to one of the anchor points, which acts as a "seat belt" for her and our safety.

Click image to enlarge

What a fine looking animal, if she ever tires of sitting in your boot space she can try mine Thumbs Up

Post #172414 20th Feb 2013 5:33 pm
toeknee

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

we are using a create from TransK9

http://www.transk9.com/

Its great bit of kit and keeps all the mud and dirt contained, plus its great for stopping the shopping falling all over Laughing Laughing

Bit more info here on the effectiveness of them in a crash

http://www.transk9.com/index.php/site/news..._accident/

Sprocket seems to like it

Click image to enlarge

One more of him a bit wet before getting back into the box after good walk this weekend

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #172419 20th Feb 2013 6:11 pm
janderson41

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Can I put my tuppenceworth in here. Actually I have a disco 1.
What i have is the LR dogguard and then fitted a tailgate guard from Barjo.
This has a door in it and can be padlocked if necessary.
Huge boon when stopping to let dogs out when as soon as the tail door is opened usually there is the big bid for freedom. We had two GSD's and they travelled in peace and safety for all.

Thanks

Jim A.

Post #172422 20th Feb 2013 6:54 pm
Ghyllie

Scotland 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Mine wear harnesses and travel on the back seat of the freeby (on a big rubber backed picnic blanket), dont like the idea of my dogs traveling while in a crumple zone as you dont know what kind of idiot is coming up behind you.

Ghyllie oo! Shiney!

Post #172434 20th Feb 2013 8:20 pm
realspeed

United Kingdom 

Just to remind everyone the law clearly states dogs must be restrained away from the driver.So on this basis if involved in an accident and there is a dog unrestrained it could be looked on in law that you were to blame, no matter how the accident occurred.
The reasoning behind this is that the dog distracted the driver and therefore caused the accident. A clued up lawyer would jump on this point straight away. How the dog is restrained is not important,as long as it is.

Realspeed Ex 2010 Freelander2 GS-e Diesel manual Silver owner

Post #172488 21st Feb 2013 12:14 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

[quote="] ....dont like the idea of my dogs traveling while in a crumple zone as you dont know what kind of idiot is coming up behind you.

Ghyllie[/quote]

After being hit up the rear at over 70mph I wouldn't worry about the rear safety - it doesn't like to crumple.
That said we have a full height LR dog guard, tools flying around in an accident being my worry.
The dog sits on the front seat on SWMBOs lap, but at around 1kg in weight if she hit the dash at 70 she ain't going to be happy. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #172499 21st Feb 2013 6:25 am
Ghyllie

Scotland 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Andy131 wrote:
[quote="] After being hit up the rear at over 70mph I wouldn't worry about the rear safety - it doesn't like to crumple.
That said we have a full height LR dog guard, tools flying around in an accident being my worry.
The dog sits on the front seat on SWMBOs lap, but at around 1kg in weight if she hit the dash at 70 she ain't going to be happy.

I was just generalising about the CZ, I had a similar experience a few years back when someone went into the back of my old cavalier at about 70mph and rear end all but disappeared Shocked the dog was on the back seat but still got injured as a suit case tried to make its way from the back to the front, I know that cars have improved regarding CZs and seat safety but that experience is the one I always relate to but as you say there are plenty of other things in the car to worry about also and we dont give it a second thought until the subject is raised on forums like this.

Ghyllie oo! Shiney!

Post #172500 21st Feb 2013 7:11 am
EYorkshire

realspeed wrote:
Just to remind everyone the law clearly states dogs must be restrained away from the driver.

Just to clarify, there is no UK law regarding the restraining of dogs in a car but there is 'advice' in the Highway Code, This 'advice' is not law but if not followed could be used against you in the event of an accident.

So no copper is going to pull you over for an unrestrained pet in your car, what you do is your choice.

Post #172501 21st Feb 2013 8:43 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>