Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Airbag Deployment - or the lack thereof !
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
greg350z

Australia 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Havana
Airbag Deployment - or the lack thereof !

It was a sad day on Saturday when I ended up putting my MY11 FL2 into the rear of a Mazda 3 at some pace:

The outcome has some good, some bad and some ugly.....

The some ugly first... well the Mazda 3 ended up looking like a Mazda 1 - ouch
The some good... well the Freelander didn't look that bad, but it is and impact wise it was a very safe and trusty sole under the circumstance
The bad... the passenger airbag did deploy (yet no one was in the passenger seat) but the driver steering wheel and knee bag DID NOT deploy ! I hit the other car square on so no offset at about 50km/h.

I have contacted the dealer and LRA who said this could be a problem... so they have sent a tech to the smash repairer to download data as I have asked for a detailed explanation as to why it did not deploy.....

Even though I don't intend to stuff up again like this, I would like to know that the airbags in fact will work... something we take for granted.

Anyway.. I miss my toy...and could be up to 2 months !!

Post #170694 6th Feb 2013 6:10 am
djwhyte

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Interesting (and sorry to hear of your loss)!

Do report back on whatever you get back from LR. 1st time FL2 owner. 2007 SE i6 in Tambora Flame.

Post #170696 6th Feb 2013 8:42 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Not good that things didn't work when you needed them Whistle

Have you asked for a eye test and muscle reflex test on why your leg didn't press the brake too Whistle Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #170698 6th Feb 2013 9:04 am
fredastaire

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black
airbag

In the UK after a crunch where airbags deploy you have to get ready for the insurance to write the car off. Friends of mine run a large main dealer body repair shop with regular contract repairs for major insurance companies and its rare for the insurers to pay out for a new dash and bags and the high labour content. The cars get re-directed to salvage auctions and finally Ebay even though theres nothing really technically wrong with the car. 2010GS Auto ex Celeb, Santorini Black, 2011 facelift , spoiler, spats, mudflaps, LED footwell lamps, Witter detach,
Other cars:-
1958 & 1959 Austin J40 Pedal Cars under restoration (I make many J40 parts)
If you have an Austin J40 or Pathfinder Pedal Car looking for a new home pls PM me.
2009 Meriva

Post #170701 6th Feb 2013 9:48 am
Tradewind 35

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Sorry to hear about crump. Airbag deployment may be suspect but if you walked away unscathed then I would not worry too much, Airbag systems are esentially explosive charges hurling muck and rubbish about which have casued burns or injuries themselves - for example you might get your glases pushed into your eyes by an airgbag - better than hitting the wheel perhaps - but they are not benign devices. So if you didn't need em to fire then that may be a result.
Hope you get mobile again soon.
Robin

Post #170722 6th Feb 2013 1:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
fisha

You'll not know without the data.

It may well be that the criteria for deployment is different depending on the side of the car as the space you throw forward into during a forward impact is different between each side of the car ?

Post #170728 6th Feb 2013 1:50 pm
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Did you have anything on the passenger seat at the time? I know it can sense a few books or whatever, doesnt explain the drivers didnt deploy though unless your seat sensor isnt working? Does the drivers side have a seat sensor even?

Post #170731 6th Feb 2013 2:52 pm
michal969

Czech Republic 

MG : I think there is no sensor on drivers seat - there is quite high probability that there will be someone who is driving the car in the moment of crash Smile

Post #170750 6th Feb 2013 6:34 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

It's a bit worrying that the drivers side airbag did not fire unless the pass airbag was faulty. The airbag system is not 'smart' and as such the drivers side should have fired.

Please keep us informed of future findings Thumbs Up

This could lead to a recall Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #170755 6th Feb 2013 7:45 pm
steve t

United Kingdom 

Air bag deployment sensors are genraly mounted beteen the gear lever and the bulk head,As far as i know they should activate both air bags unless the passanger side is turned off but what i will say after spending over 20 years working in body shops they far from alway go off when they should.
I would say about 50% work as they should,Ive had to work on many cars that have needed a lot hours on the jig but not needed air bags.
Somthing you should check is the seat belt pretensioners,These are not conected to the air bags in anyway so could of been activated.
Look at the catch between the seats where you push the belt in,If they have gone off and there was only the driver in the car one will stick up higher than the other.
As regards A post and seat air bag activation sensors i have no idea,As already said by the time you have had to price air bags dash boards seat pretentioners seat A post air bags sensors and labour on top of the damage its self the cars dead.
Ive seen cars that have a bit of suspention damage that need very little but fired everything off and the cars been beyond economical repair.

Post #170756 6th Feb 2013 7:52 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

if its a one off, i think they'll

Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #170759 6th Feb 2013 8:34 pm
alex_pescaru

steve t wrote:
Air bag deployment sensors are genraly mounted beteen the gear lever and the bulk head

In the case of FL2, the frontal sensors are in the engine room, two of them, one on the driver side and one on the passenger side.
They are above the radiator's left and right upper corners, mounted below the hood latch panel.
Maybe the SRS system thought that the driver side impact energy was not so great/violent and maybe the controlled deformation body elements have somewhat "ease" the shock transmitted to the sensor, especially if all the deformation took place below the sensors height line.

Post #170765 6th Feb 2013 10:46 pm
Nairbr

Australia 2012 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Orkney Grey

I think this is the correct way to deploy the drivers air bag

http://youtu.be/IMOsw2M9LbQ

Post #170782 7th Feb 2013 1:11 am
JST

France 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Narvik Black

...or this way....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAhYxtRLW8g John
07 HSE Narvick Black
Land Rover Series One