Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Do winter tyres make a difference ? Oh YES
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Just out of interest, do those of you that use winter tyres already have them fitted to a spare set of rims that you just swap over or do you pay for fitting and balancing to exsting rims each winter and again in spring when you go back to summer tyres.

Post #168488 21st Jan 2013 8:44 pm
UKDEN

2012 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey
Re: Martyn, Taz

stooby wrote:
I must have got a duff set of Scorpion ATRs.

Replaced my Scorpion Zeros on my D3 after 25000 miles with Scorpion ATRs. This coincided with the onset of the 2009/10 winter. They were excellent in the snow and wet. Much better than the Zeros. Only downside was fuel consumption, increased by about 10%. After 20000 miles of use they were about half worn (compared with legal minimum), much better than the Zeros.

I have the Contis on my FL2, I do not see any reason to change. The current FL2 is the fifth 4x4 I have owned in the last 26 years (inc. 3 LRs) they have all been fitted with M&S tyres from new. They have all performed well (when driven sensibly) in winter conditions. Not once have I been stuck due to a lack of traction.

No doubt winter tyres (with their softer compounds) will give better grip on ice, studded tyres will be even better. However, on deep snow I think the tread pattern is more important, some M&S tyres have a deep blocked open tread which is ideal.

Whatever tyres you have, learn their limitations and drive (safely) within them.

PS. 8" of snow here in Northumberland today Very Happy Now: 2012 FL2 SD4 XS Orkney Grey
Previously: 2007 D3 TDV6 XS Tonga Green
Before that: 2003 FL1 TD4 "Kalahari" Black

Post #168507 21st Jan 2013 9:16 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Two sets of rims and tyres. Another forum member sold me another set of GS rims and Wintrac 4's. I can rationalise the expense in 2 ways.
1. Safety. I feel that even on wet roads the winter tyres make a difference. After a winter with Wranglers in snow and 2 winters with the Wintracs I'd say they make a difference.
2. Two sets of tyres will last the life of two sets of tyres as long as they are worn to what I consider to be a tread depth that needs replacement before the end of life moulded in to the sidewalls.

Post #168523 21st Jan 2013 11:27 pm
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

I don't see any need for winters on mine - the wranglers do everything I need them too. Granted I'm sure I can get something more grippy but tbh the only time it's ever caught me out is when late braking (relatively speaking when in snow) but feathering the brake pedal brought me to a halt and I learnt my lesson and the limits if the tyres.

In fact, my mate has an R32 golf with standard summer tyres and he claims he never has a problem in the snow.

Where winters are important is in rear wheel drive cars. I was following town in the snow the other day, one with winters the other without. The different was amazing, and I am sure the one with winter could have probably kept up with me.

Good point about tyre life though when swapping winters with summers. Generally tyres have a shelf life of 5 yrs, if you do around 10k per annum and assuming you get 40k out if a set if tyres then you will have a set of tyres that will be approaching 8 yrs old before you change them! Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #168533 22nd Jan 2013 12:26 am
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

I have Goodyear Wrangler M&S fitted but will probably change in the summer. Looking at various tyre sites it would appear that Wrangler M&S are no longer available. What has replaced them??? Any ideas.

Cheers MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #168542 22nd Jan 2013 9:01 am
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

I can see both points here. My first winter (2010) with the FL2 was on Wranglers and they were superb. I always acknowledged the indisputable safety aspect of winter tyres though. They WILL stop you sooner if you need to brake for someone sliding randomly out of a side street for example.

Despite the advantages, I could not afford the cost but then due to having no idea what I wanted for Crimbo in 2011, my parents offered to buy some for me. I duly accepted. Now joking aside about the various nicknames my tyres became known by (they are on the forum blacklist Laughing ), they are Avon Ranger Ice and are frankly awesome.

Just before the snow melted last week, it was only just shy of the 2010 snow. I encountered compacted snow and ice and thick heavy snow. I ploughed through like it wasn't there and with my duties for Peak 4x4 Response, I like the added peace of mind.

P.S, Peak 4x4 got a mention in the local rags: http://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/news/loca...-1-5362204 LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #170202 2nd Feb 2013 6:36 pm
chrisr1806

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

wurzel153 wrote:
Well, I did say I was using the wife's Citroen as it has better tires but having just started the fl2 the steering fluid just bubbled and emptied itself. What a pile of poo this car is, spends half it's life in the garage. Should have bought an Alfa.

My mum had an 2004 Alfa 147 and it only broke down once. Laughing

It was a great car to drive though.

Post #170211 2nd Feb 2013 7:37 pm
Ghyllie

Scotland 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

The Doctor wrote:
They WILL stop you sooner if you need to brake for someone sliding randomly out of a side street for example.

Thumbs Up and that is the whole point of winter tyres.

Ghyllie oo! Shiney!

Post #170267 3rd Feb 2013 8:23 am
shiggsy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

Nice little 4x4 test, one with winter tyres one without.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/winter-tyres-vs-4x4 
Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.

Post #170278 3rd Feb 2013 11:13 am
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Shiggsy

good comparison test and I totally agree with their experience, just a shame they didn't put a set of Winter tyres on the 4x4 yeti and then demonstrated the difference yet again.

Once again I was totally impressed with the winter tyres & the stopping distance & steering control & traction had a huge difference over my Wrangler M&S's

Having now covered hundreds of miles in the snow on Winter tyres and not floundered anywhere I think I could have almost as much confidence as I had with my old Panda 4x4 that went anywhere in the snow.

Post #170281 3rd Feb 2013 11:29 am
Lee Howe

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Narvik Black

Tyne Tess news did a report last time it snowed at a police driver training school and took one car on the track with normal tyres and one with winter tyres. I think they were fitted to a BMW estate. Needless to say the one with wintre tyres pulled away better, cornered better and stopped about 3 car lenghs ahead of the other at 30mph.

I know the tyres are more expensive but if it stops you putting your car through a wall or worse still knocking somebody over its well worth the money

I suppose it comes down to what you use you Freelander for, If you can avoid going out in the snow and walk then you don't need them, or if you do loads of miles its probabily worth getting another set of rims and switching over.

I have Cooper Discovery ATR M&S tyres fitted all year around, simply because when there is no snow on the roads that I travel along they are either under water or covered in mud from haytime or moving cows.

Post #170331 3rd Feb 2013 6:10 pm
flylr

2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

shiggsy wrote:
Nice little 4x4 test, one with winter tyres one without.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/winter-tyres-vs-4x4

Dd the 4wd have M+S tyres like the Freelander? I assume not? So not exactly a fair comparison.
That said, nobody here would argue that winter tyres would give better braking and cornering. (Coming) 2016 RR Evoque td4 180 HSE Dynamc
(Going) 2013 TD4 GS Auto - Santorini Black with black leather. Cold Climate, UK Lighting & Armrest Packs. Privacy Glass. LR Rubber Mats. Full size spare.
60 000 miles averaging 35mpg

(Gone) 2010 TD4 Manual GS - Stornoway Grey. Sold at 3yrs old & 64k miles. Final average consumption 39.2mpg.

Post #170332 3rd Feb 2013 6:18 pm
posiden

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Narvik Black
Winter tyres

I fitted a set of 4 wintrac 4's just before the bad winter in 2010 after the OE good year wranglers were pretty much worn out at 20000 miles.
I fitted them really just to give them a try after reading the comments on this forum.
I've now done 18000 miles on the wintracs right through two summers and winters and they are now down to about 3mm of tread left.
I've just bought another set of 4.
The good years were more expensive that the wintracs and the wet weather and winter grip from the wintracs is brilliant.
I don't do many motorway miles but the winter tyres can manage a decent motorway run without falling to bits.
So for less money , equivalent mileage and amazing winter grip I'm sticking with winter tyres.

Post #173714 1st Mar 2013 8:58 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

M&S tyres fitted to the Freelander are not winter tyres but more an all season tyre. Winter tyres would also have a snow flake symbol to denote their winter compound. All season tyres are better than summer tyres but not as good as a winter tyre in cold temperatures. In Alpine regions All Season tyres are usually accepted providing they have a tread depth of greater than 4mm.

Post #173716 1st Mar 2013 9:23 pm
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

Big vote for the Vredestein Wintrac 4 Xtreme's, great value for money and do a great job. Thumbs Up

We will have a few deals on them at the end of the month. Thumbs Up Andy.
www.ajstyres.co.uk www.ajs4x4.co.uk
J8 M25 SURREY
01737 241370

Post #173730 1st Mar 2013 10:57 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12