« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Injector life
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey
Injector life

I have been reading on the net about diesel injectors and how much they cost to replace. Does anyone have any experience on the average injector lifespan (mls or kms) we can expect out of our td4's?
On a toyota thread in another 4wd forum a guy had to replace injectors at 96,000km costing $3200 meaning that the diesel was false economy as a petrol engine doesn't need that.

Excuse me if its been covered elsewhere, but I did a search and didn't find an answer.

Mike

Post #49386 27th Oct 2009 2:37 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

If what you have said is true, then it does explain why they are sell injectors on the new LR website

see this thread
http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic4391.html Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #49387 27th Oct 2009 6:55 am
mikehzz

Luckily it was for a Hilux not an FL2. But it made me wonder. The td4 is the same engine as a Peugot 408 I think and they don't have a long history either. Perhaps we are trailblazers in this area?

Post #49394 27th Oct 2009 9:15 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey

That's only 60k miles - it's extremely unlikely that FL2 or any current LR engine would need new injectors below 150 - 200k the Toyota engines and fuel systems are quite basic and in many cases still use rotary sequential HP fuel pumps, common - rail injectors can be 'trimmed' by the engine management system to maintain the correct fuel flow and injection timing. The main cause of fuel injector wear is poor quality fuel, contamination, and long periods of running at low load / engine temperature - oh, make sure the fuel filter is changed regularly also Thumbs Up

Post #49412 27th Oct 2009 12:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mikehzz

Thanks for the info. How often would you change the fuel filter? I find it difficult to get an actual service schedule from anyone. My dealer couldn't even tell me if the td4 had a timing belt or chain. Being a diesel I'm assuming a chain but I'd like to know. I think they take big bucks off me just to change the oil.
I'm amused by your "Toyota engines and fuel systems are quite basic" comment because I get into trouble over here for saying things like that...its like motoring blasphemy. Laughing

Post #49415 27th Oct 2009 1:20 pm
yamaha-fan

Germany 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Just fill in the dosis of 2-T oil to every tank of diesel in the ratio 1:200 and your injectors (among other components) will last very long...! This is a proven fact!

Regards
YF

Post #49421 27th Oct 2009 4:56 pm
10forcash

'Injector cleaner' is mainly kerosene, be aware too much of it or too often can damage the injectors, valves and pistons.... Kero 'cleans' the injectors by raising the burn temperature inside the cylinders, thereby burning off most of the carbon deposits
service schedule is here https://www.freel2.com/gallery/albums/user...0sheet.pdf

Also be aware that the fuel system isn't self priming so if you're planning on changing the fuel filter yourself, you'll need a method of drawing fuel up through the filter

I've used many different 4x4's in a work environment over the years and can honestly say that without exception, Toyota's are the most agricultural, clumsy, overrated pieces of crap I've ever had the misfortune to drive Wink

Post #49423 27th Oct 2009 7:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

10forcash wrote:

I've used many different 4x4's in a work environment over the years and can honestly say that without exception, Toyota's are the most agricultural, clumsy, overrated pieces of crap I've ever had the misfortune to drive Wink

Thumbs Up At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #49425 27th Oct 2009 7:39 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

My mate was a fitter at a local Ford garage a few years ago , He left the job due to extreme boredom because all he did everyday for weeks was change injectors on diesel engines. I presume Ford have now cured that problem. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #49427 27th Oct 2009 7:57 pm
10forcash

That particular problem was due to line cleanliness, both the TD4 & TDV6/8 have specific clean areas and packing process changes to prevent that issue from occuring

Post #49434 27th Oct 2009 10:23 pm
mikehzz

Hey thanks for the maintenance sheet. You guys in Europe/UK have it easy service wise, major service every 2 years. Luckily, I do all of the naughty things, dusty, rough and muddy etc, so I have to keep the schedule as recommended for over here. Anyone living in Sydney or Melbourne who doesn't go off road is getting a raw deal though. Twice as many services for no good reason. Its not overly hot or dusty on the coast especially south of Sydney, quite pleasant as a matter of fact.

Post #49436 28th Oct 2009 12:15 am
10forcash

Lightweights! Wink
Personally i've always done intermediate oil changes on my D3 (and will do on my FL2) as the service schedule is based upon TCO not optimum service life, most fleet vehicles are only 3- 5 years old dependent upon company policy and conversion cost so anything after that is not on the fleet managers radar, oil life and quality has the biggest effect upon longevity of the engine so it makes sense to look after it during it's early years to ensure long-term reliability

Post #49437 28th Oct 2009 12:49 am
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I always run shell V-Power or BP Ultimate diesel, just just ensures that the system is clean and keeps the components in good condition. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #49460 28th Oct 2009 8:10 pm
10forcash

Doesn't make a great deal of difference TBH, the main factor is cetane rating - measure of combustibility... old fuel has a lower rating than new, old fuel leaves more soot in the engine than new. yep, the 'premium' fuels have more additives but if the turnover is lower then any benefits from these are negated. I use Asda's cheapest, it's less than 2 miles away, has a high turnover and is relatively cheap!

Post #49471 28th Oct 2009 10:50 pm
mikehzz

Sorry, we only have plain vanilla flavoured diesel in most of the garages over here, none of the 'fancy dan' flavours. There are 2 garages in my area that don't have a diesel pump at all. We do have those flavours in petrol. Most cars here are either locally made Holdens and Fords, or Japanese Toyotas, Nissans etc and they don't have many diesel variants available here.
The local population has traditionally had a bias against diesel and a preference for big 6 or v8 muscle type engines. It would open their eyes to drive around Europe in more ways than one...they could see how well the oilers go and might learn some road manners as well.

Post #49472 29th Oct 2009 3:38 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1