Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > In Car Electronics > Anyone installed a dash cam ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 14 of 14 <123 ... 121314
Print this entire topic · 
mostyn128

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

I use a Sony AS30V action cam. They are about £150 (March 2016).

It is HD 1080p and 11.9 mega pixies 170 degree field of view (it has GPS, wifi and you can download selected video/images to your phone on wifi). It is waterproof (in the housing !) to 5m and shock resistant to a 5 feet drop.

Use a suction cup with a camera mounting which can be obtained from online famous Brazilian forest sounding name for not much more than a pint of beer ... mount suction cup to side of rear view mirror and done !

It has 1hr 45 mins continuous shooting time for one battery.

It can host a 64gb SD card (chose a really good quality one with at least read/write 50mb/s) and this beauty gives you 8hrs 42mins of recording time in total ! Plenty for those longer trips ....

Benefit is that you can use the action cam for fun cycling on the dog etc. when you are done with the driving !!! Dedicated car dash cams cannot be used for fun always ! I have had one for over a year and I drive about 25k to 30k miles per year in the company car so the camera is used alot !! It's brilliant.

Downside is that it is not rear facing but to be honest anyone rear-ending you is automatically at fault.

2007MY Freelander 2 GS 2.2TD4

Post #292503 4th Mar 2016 12:47 pm
mcsimmo

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Mauritius Blue

I use a Blackvue DR 380. The advantage is its size, it tucks away nicely behind the mirror and is invisible from outside.
I run the cable along the edge of the roof lining, down the edge of the A pillar and tuck it under the drivers seat and plug it into the live socket. By using the live socket, I can use the facility where it records if anyone bumps the car if its parked up, and as its always 'live' it captures the few seconds before the impact as well, and isnt recording all the time. Updated- Waiting for a Scotland v England 6 Nations home win. 24th Feb 2018
Gone-1972 88 SWB Soft top
Gone-1981 24v FFR Lightweight
Gone-2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS manual
Gone before it bankrupted me- 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto

Post #292844 7th Mar 2016 9:04 am
davep1

I had a mi-witness AR-M150 fitted front and back in May 2015 and was very happy with the quality of the recordings.
The only problem I had was formatting the 64gb card. It didn't like it and always took more than one attempt. Sometimes afterwards the camera wouldn't recognise the card so the process had to be repeated. However, all would eventually be sorted out until, about 14 months after I bought it, the camera just wouldn't recognise the 64 or the original 8gb. I had several calls with the mi-witness support people who after finding it wasn't an easy fix i.e. "go away and try it again"
were not much use. I sent the camera back and was told the slot which the card slides into was irreparably damaged and the only course was a replacement camera. I chose the same AR-150 model and got a 3 month guarantee. It arrived in November 2016 and it's worked well, as before until now when it's stopped with exactly the same symptom, the camera doesn't recognise either the 64gb or the 8gb card and as before it's out of warranty. I'll try the support people again tomorrow, though after the last time I don't hold out much hope.
So far my experience has not been that good with mi-witness.

Post #327060 13th Jul 2017 7:37 pm
Arctic

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

I have had my dash cam over 10 months now and still not got round to fitting Rolling Eyes post to self get it done Rolling with laughter

Post #382138 3rd Dec 2019 10:38 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Put it in the glove box, at least it is in the car! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #382181 3rd Dec 2019 8:31 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 14 of 14 <123 ... 121314