« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Roading & Green Laning > First time on mud & ruts
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
flyfisherman

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey
First time on mud & ruts

I recently went out to see how the car would cope with some wet mud and ruts, it didn't cope very well! For now I'll put it down to inexperienced driver and the wrong tires...Wranglers. During the drive an "axle" icon appeared on the info screen accompanied by a continuos beep. I have no idea what this meant! There's no mention of them in the handbook.

It really surprises me the lack of information other than on the basic warning lights. Can anyone tell me what the icon and alarm could have meant, or maybe theres a definitive list somewhere?

Post #165926 3rd Jan 2013 12:52 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

the axle is a depiction of which direction you have the wheels turned Thumbs Up

the continuous beep, my guess would be the car had engaged its parking sensors, possibley due to putting it in reverse and driving below the speed they would turn off, and you were in a place were the sensors were picking up the terrain, IE long grass, mud splashed up on to the sensor etc

Post #165927 3rd Jan 2013 1:16 am
EYorkshire

Your progress may have been hindered by your attempted straight ahead progress but the icon showing you had the steering on 'lock'. It would be telling you to straighten the wheel for better progress.
As for the 'beeping' npinks is probably right, but maybe it 'beeps' at you also if the steering angle sensor detects your steering wheels are in a 'locked' position but need straightening Exclamation

Post #165937 3rd Jan 2013 8:59 am
flyfisherman

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

I did wonder if the alarm was the parking sensors although from memory it seemed to be a different pitch. Anyway thanks for the replies

The main reason for the post was to vent my frustration at the lack of info in the handbook. There have been a number of issues that I have experienced, that at the time I didn't understand. The first was "limp mode" which kicked in when I was overtaking!! and wondered what the hell was going on. And during a few cold starts how the power to the climate control and radio etc. was restricted until I drove a for awhile,or is it just my own ignorance to modern day motoring??

Post #165947 3rd Jan 2013 12:54 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

have you thought about booking on to a Landrover Experience course? they show you what the car can do off road and on, they use their own cars so no risk to yours

Great day out too Thumbs Up

Post #165948 3rd Jan 2013 12:57 pm
jon_a5

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Santorini Black

Before you book one its worth subtle hints at your local dealer, they can often give you a voucher.

Jon Freelander 2, 2014 Dynamic SD4 Santorini Black

Post #165949 3rd Jan 2013 1:19 pm
EYorkshire

Quote:
or is it just my own ignorance to modern day motoring??

Unfortunately it is the way of modern day motoring, all things that happen with the modern car is there to baffle 99% of drivers and to steer them towards a dealer who will happily take the money to read a 'fault code', clear it and send you on your way.

Fortunately for us we have an interest in the car itself other than just driving it and by discussing and ranting, we have the ability to a better understanding of what it's telling us.

It's surprising how many drivers of cars will happily hand over an hours labour for a fault to be cleared and accept the explanation of "they all do that" Surprised, but armed with a little knowledge we hope that they can see that bull Censored t won't win the day.

Probably still have to pay though Sad

Post #165951 3rd Jan 2013 1:33 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

flyfisherman wrote:
And during a few cold starts how the power to the climate control and radio etc. was restricted until I drove a for awhile...

That's not right! Obviously you're not going to get heat from the CC until the engine has warmed a bit, but there should be no restriction of power to CC and the radio just because the engine's cold!

You don't say how much mud you were driving through, but the Wranglers should be quite capable of coping with moderate mud and ruts. They're not proper mud tyres, by any means, but they're not that bad as far as I'm aware.

As Nick says, the axle graphic is just to show where the wheels are pointing. That may sound pointless, but it is possible when driving in ruts to lose track of where the wheels are - the car continues to follow the ruts until the tyres find some grip, then you find yourself unexpectedly heading off out of the ruts and into the scenery.

Post #165952 3rd Jan 2013 1:42 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

On Auto CC I set my temp to hot the blower won't blow till there is hotter air, as if it knows the cold air will do the opposite though you do get the PTC heated air out the dash vent

If I manually adjust the blower power then it will

Post #165953 3rd Jan 2013 1:48 pm
porteouz

2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

flyfisherman wrote:
As Nick says, the axle graphic is just to show where the wheels are pointing. That may sound pointless, but it is possible when driving in ruts to lose track of where the wheels are - the car continues to follow the ruts until the tyres find some grip, then you find yourself unexpectedly heading off out of the ruts and into the scenery.

Also if you are in heavy ruts the car will follow the path of the ruts and if you have the wheels pointing in a different direction you can do quite a bit of damage to the car. 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE
2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE - Gone

Post #165954 3rd Jan 2013 1:50 pm
Ooma

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

npinks wrote:
have you thought about booking on to a Landrover Experience course? they show you what the car can do off road and on, they use their own cars so no risk to yours

Great day out too Thumbs Up

Was just looking at these. How important would you say it is to find one that does it with a Freelander 2, or will what you learn translate nicely to each of the different models gadgetry?

Cheers,
Mike '08 Freelander 2 HSE in Stornoway Grey

Premium, Climate and Clear View packs.

Post #165955 3rd Jan 2013 1:55 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

porteouz wrote:
..... Also if you are in heavy ruts the car will follow the path of the ruts and if you have the wheels pointing in a different direction you can do quite a bit of damage to the car.

Speaking from bitter experience, you will do a lot of damage to the side walls of the tyres by driving with the tyres at an angle to the ruts.
Trying to change a wheel when you have ripped the sidewall, and are in 4" of mud does ruin the day.

If you are going to us ethe car off-road seriously, get on a LR experience day, to see how it's done, then get some proper training, It won't make you an expert, but it might save you some expense, and someone from getting hurt. 2 ton of car sliding down a hill can do some fair old damage. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #165956 3rd Jan 2013 2:03 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Definately do it in a Freelander - each car type is very different.

Discos with air suspension can lift you out of trouble.
Defenders with low gear handle slopes differently than a FL with it's electronic gadgets.
Range Rovers with engines that can tow a plant on tickover behave very differently to something with a 4 cylinder 2 litre diesel. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #165957 3rd Jan 2013 2:21 pm
ad210358

England 

Restricted power to the Heater, Radio, Sat Nav or anything in the Centre Console can be caused by inserting the Fob and Pressing Start very quickly and not giving the Electrics time to Boot up. It usually clears by stopping the engine removing the Fob and starting again at a more leisurely pace.

Post #165958 3rd Jan 2013 2:31 pm
Ooma

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Thanks Andy131 Thumbs Up '08 Freelander 2 HSE in Stornoway Grey

Premium, Climate and Clear View packs.

Post #165959 3rd Jan 2013 2:36 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>