Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > United Kingdom > Hit and run accident yesterday, help sought.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Tigger

United Kingdom 
Hit and run accident yesterday, help sought.

I was driving along the A38 from the Trerulefoot roundabout, into Tideford, on the way to Plymouth, yesterday morning. It's a 50mph zone, with a curve to the right, a single lane in my direction and an overtaking lane in the other direction. There is a double white line separating the overtaking lane on the opposite side, to the single carriageway on my side of the road.

I was driving at around 45mph, when an ambulance (with "Blood" written on the front and no blues and twos showing), doing more than 50mph, crossed over the double white line by about 2 or 3 feet and gave the Freelander a glancing blow. I pulled over straight away, as did a witness. With a closing speed of around 100mph, in an driver's side corner to corner shunt, it could have been so very much worse but, as it was, my driver's side mirror has virtually vapourised, the side of the car is scratched from the bonnet to the rear bumper and my rear wing was torn open.

The ambulance didn't stop.

I reported it to the police. When they heard it was an emergency vehicle involved, they kept me on hold for about 10 minutes and came back to say that, without me having taken the registration plate, "they didn't have the resources to pursue it further". At a push, they gave me the number of Devon & Cornwall Ambulance service. When I contacted them they said that none of their ambulances were in the area at the time, none had reported an accident and (besides) the "Blood" service vehicles were nothing to do with them and they didn't know how to contact them!

I've googled "blood delivery Cornwall" and "blood delivery Devon" (that's the foreign branch!) and all I can come up with is the voluntary motorcycles services such as Freewheelers (who I used to do charitable work for) and Bloodrunners. It definitely wasn't a motorbike; I noticed that much!

I'm a member of the RAC and will be calling them to try and take some advice here.

Here's the important bit: Does anyone here know anything about vehicles dressed as full scale ambulances, with "Blood" written over the front and how best to contact their organisation? Is it even a recognised organisation?

Thanks in advance Thumbs Up

Post #165176 23rd Dec 2012 9:52 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Searching for blood service drivers came back with a NHS driver job been advertised and the description said you could driver for the national blood service

Searching for national blood service came back with a website http://www.blood.co.uk/

Hope that helps, if not a quick email to the local editor entitled my near death experiance with blood delivery driver might evoke a story and a press snoop to seek out a driver

Post #165177 23rd Dec 2012 10:12 am
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

Its going to be hard to find out who has done this as I think because they didnt stop they know their in the wrong.
I saw a program on these blood delivery drivers a while back which was saying about what happens when they have an accident.
I would appear that they dont have the same powers as, lets sat the police or fire engines etc so if caught speeding or running red lights then they usualy get prosicuted.
Because you did not get the registration plate of the unit involved and he didnt stop its going to be a nightmare trying to trace him.
He new he was in the wrong thats why he didnt stop and is hoping to get away with it. Good luck in trying to find him though.

Post #165178 23rd Dec 2012 10:20 am
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

I know its a bit late after the horse has bolted but that's why in-car camera's are so valuable. Worth their weight in gold.

Any petrol stations near by that may of had CCTV running ? or a pub ?

Post #165179 23rd Dec 2012 10:41 am
big-al-cove

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Fuji White

hi

did a bit searching on Google and it would appear that the National Blood Service is an integral part of the NHS,

http://www.tickity-boo.co.uk/community/pag...p;menuID=5

National Blood Service
Derriford Hospital, Derriford Road
Plymouth
PL6 8DH

0845 7 711 711

this i think should be there head office

hope some of this is some help 1995 P38 now dead
2012 FL2 GS Fuji White
winter pack
arm rest pack

Post #165180 23rd Dec 2012 10:44 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Thanks for your help everyone, they are some really good answers. This is information I will now use.

I've spoken to the RAC this morning and their legal team are back in on Monday morning. I won't make any approaches to the Blood Service until I've taken some legal advice tomorrow morning.

What's really annoying it that I have one of those cameras and I haven't fitted it yet! Censored

Post #165182 23rd Dec 2012 10:53 am
big-al-cove

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Fuji White

http://www.ukemergency.co.uk/index.php?opt...Itemid=115

found a handy list of vehicles and number plates Thumbs Up

hope you find the vehicle here 1995 P38 now dead
2012 FL2 GS Fuji White
winter pack
arm rest pack

Post #165183 23rd Dec 2012 10:59 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

big-al-cove wrote:
http://www.ukemergency.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=79&layout=blog&Itemid=115

found a handy list of vehicles and number plates Thumbs Up

hope you find the vehicle here

That was a good idea!

Not amongst them though I'm afraid.

Post #165184 23rd Dec 2012 11:04 am
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Do you know what make the vehicle was? If its an official government vehicle it will have parts changed for new parts, which means dealer backup.

If you saw what badge was on the front you could contact the manufacturer to see if they have had an order for several drivers side parts? Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #165216 23rd Dec 2012 4:56 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Also, you mention the blood bikes, I think they have cars/vans also? Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #165217 23rd Dec 2012 4:57 pm
Wing

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Sorry to hear about this!
I know it's a bit of a long shot but you may get something here. You can narrow down the search results even further as this service, like the Police and Fire Service have their anoraks all over the country!

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=blood%20vehicles
Good Luck Thumbs Up

Post #165221 23rd Dec 2012 5:12 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Thanks for your help everyone, it's more than I could have hoped for.

I've not spoken to the Blood Service and I they are checking and have promised to come back to me on Monday.

I'm as nurdy as the nurdiest person out there about being able to tell the make and model of a car or van at a glance, but they came around the corner so fast that I literally only had time to see that it was an ambulance and that it had those blue and yellow reflective chequers on it, before it hit us. I'd be surprised if I saw it for more than half a second before it hit us.

Post #165224 23rd Dec 2012 5:47 pm
Stevie5tapes

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Auto Sumatra Black

I'm a blood donor, it sounds like the vehicle that picks up the donations. Surely it won't be difficult to trace via the blood service as it will have damage to it. Most probably the driver will be keeping quiet as he/she will have to pay the insurance excess which will probably be high. To me what is annouying is the lack of action by the police as its clearly dangerous driving and its fortunate that no one was injured. Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.
Gone MY2010 Freelander 2 Manual TD4.e S, Alaska White.

Post #165424 26th Dec 2012 9:38 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

I've just chased the blood service for a response to the call I made to them on the 23rd. They've promised to call me back today.

Unfortunately, my experience with the police has been variable. They are usually happy to hand out an incident number for insurance claim purposes, but don't appear to "have the resources" to get involved if it involves detective work.

They have said that, if I manage to find out who the third party is, they will be interested to hear from me to complete their file. I wonder if that would go towards their clear up figures?

Post #165473 27th Dec 2012 5:23 pm
Stevie5tapes

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Auto Sumatra Black

I work for my father-in-law, we had a break in. The CCTV wasnt that good but the first copper on the scene said that even though the image was grainy they could probably make out who did it. Second copper phoned later that day and said no point in picking up a copy of CCTV as it would be no good! ill made him come down for it. Like you say, they like to issue incident numbers and fiddle their clear up figures but some cant be arsed to do the leg work required.

Hope you get your car sorted pal! Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.
Gone MY2010 Freelander 2 Manual TD4.e S, Alaska White.

Post #165485 27th Dec 2012 6:14 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>