« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Driving FL2 with snow chains
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
wreckerl

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Narvik Black
Driving FL2 with snow chains

I have just taken delivery of my new freelander and Im driving to Austria in febuary My Question is has any one driven with snow chains, and could you please give me some tips, for the freelander I have previously driven both landrovers and jeeps with snow chains but these didnt have traction control.

Post #13026 14th Jan 2008 9:08 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

i don't beleive there are snowchains that fit the FL2

I think the only ones that fit are the snowspikes which are £300, but another company have developed some for around £170.

Although you maybe able to get chains that fit the FL2 wheels size, this does not mean they are suitable, and may damage or rip apart the workings on the inside of the wheel arch (Brake pipe etc) Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #13027 14th Jan 2008 12:33 pm
attox

Italy 
Re: Driving FL2 with snow chains

wreckerl wrote:
I have just taken delivery of my new freelander and Im driving to Austria in febuary My Question is has any one driven with snow chains, and could you please give me some tips, for the freelander I have previously driven both landrovers and jeeps with snow chains but these didnt have traction control.

Hi wreckerl, look at these two treads, you may find some tips:

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic1027.html?highlight=snow+chain

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic1029.html?highlight=snow+chain

Post #13028 14th Jan 2008 12:46 pm
jimmy

Denmark 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Hi Wreckerl,

There are snow chains for a FL2 (at least for 18" wheels).

My Dealer ordered them for me, after agreeing that the LR chains were way too expensive.

I'll let you know who manufactures them (I thinks it's an Italian Co) & return to you.

Post #13029 14th Jan 2008 1:38 pm
jimmy

jimmy wrote:
Hi Wreckerl,

There are snow chains for a FL2 (at least for 18" wheels).

My Dealer ordered them for me, after agreeing that the LR chains were way too expensive.

I'll let you know who manufactures them (I thinks it's an Italian Co) & return to you.

They are made by Konig from Italy. Called "no-problem" chains - model no 247.

Hope that helps Thumbs Up

Post #13056 15th Jan 2008 8:13 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

jimmy wrote:

Jimmy

Have you tried these on the car to check the clearence on the inside of the wheel?

I presume since your dealer supplied them, you'll be fine, Thumbs Up

But when i ordered chains for my old car, there was lots on the market that fitted the tyre size, but there was only one that actually fitted as the chains links where the smallest. Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #13063 15th Jan 2008 10:48 am
jimmy

npinks wrote:
jimmy wrote:

Jimmy

Have you tried these on the car to check the clearence on the inside of the wheel?

I presume since your dealer supplied them, you'll be fine, Thumbs Up

But when i ordered chains for my old car, there was lots on the market that fitted the tyre size, but there was only one that actually fitted as the chains links where the smallest.

Hey npinks,

Actually - not yet !

I will have a go this week, latest at the weekend - and let you all know.

As you say - if supplied by the dealer then you would expect them to be a suitable fit. However - it could be a crafty ploy to get a s**t load of repair work to his workshop Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #13068 15th Jan 2008 12:14 pm
attox

Italy 

Sorry but we already discussed the matter sometime ago.

attox wrote:
The original LR chains are the spyder type with special discs that have to be pre-mounted to the wheels. My dealer sells also, as alternative to the original, the Maggi TRAK for SUVs size LT50 suitable for 235/65-17 and 235/60-18 tyres which have a special fitting that makes the discs unecessary. I saw them on a LR catalog, so I think they are officially approved.

Do not use traditional chains because they can damage the sensors on the inside of the wheels but only spyder type chains.

(posted also on General/Driving on snow)

Post #13071 15th Jan 2008 1:46 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

[quote="attox"]Sorry but we already discussed the matter sometime ago. [quote]

I thought this was the case Attox, but new chains are been developed all the time..... So it might mean than they are now available.....

Farad do Snow Crampons like the LR one which are £180.00 from roofbox, but when you put the car in as a Freelander 2, its only option is 235-60-18's as a wheel size so these may not work if your wheels are 17"

I still would look in to snow socks, not recognised as snowchains but would fit and are alot cheaper.

I have just come back from Chamonix, France, (not in my FL2) and loads of cars with winter tyres were struggling, and the ones with out winter tyre weren't struggling they was just going nowhere and given up. Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #13082 15th Jan 2008 5:18 pm
attox

Italy 

npinks wrote:

I thought this was the case Attox, but new chains are been developed all the time..... So it might mean than they are now available.....

Farad do Snow Crampons like the LR one which are £180.00 from roofbox, but when you put the car in as a Freelander 2, its only option is 235-60-18's as a wheel size so these may not work if your wheels are 17"

I still would look in to snow socks, not recognised as snowchains but would fit and are alot cheaper.

I have just come back from Chamonix, France, (not in my FL2) and loads of cars with winter tyres were struggling, and the ones with out winter tyre weren't struggling they was just going nowhere and given up.

Hi nipkins, interesting to know about these new chains.
it has been a pity you couldn't test your FL2 on snow! I just drove last weekend under an heavy snow with a car different from LR2 (mine should arrive soon) and realized the snow is too wet in comparison with the past, so less amusement.

Post #13085 15th Jan 2008 5:38 pm
jimmy

attox wrote:

attox wrote:
The original LR chains are the spyder type with special discs that have to be pre-mounted to the wheels. My dealer sells also, as alternative to the original, the Maggi TRAK for SUVs size LT50 suitable for 235/65-17 and 235/60-18 tyres which have a special fitting that makes the discs unecessary. I saw them on a LR catalog, so I think they are officially approved.

Do not use traditional chains because they can damage the sensors on the inside of the wheels but only spyder type chains.

What sensors ?? Question

Just fitted my new chains - no problems whatsoever.

Also contacted my Dealer - he advised these are the 5th set he has sent out to customers, 4 have used them so far this winter and reported no problems Thumbs Up

All this stuff about brake pipes and sensors......?? Rolling with laughter

Post #13109 16th Jan 2008 12:07 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

jimmy wrote:
attox wrote:

attox wrote:

What sensors ?? Question

Also contacted my Dealer - he advised these are the 5th set he has sent out to customers, 4 have used them so far this winter and reported no problems Thumbs Up

Good news then Thumbs Up

How much clearence do you have between the inner chain and the inner workings and bits of the suspension etc Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #13111 16th Jan 2008 12:15 pm
jimmy

hey npinks,

(I had the wheels on full right & left lock - no issues).

I'll fit them again at the weekend and send you some pictures from behind the wheel / inside the wheel arch.

Also a picture of the the chains & their storage box - in case you want them.

I think that's easier to visualise, than trying to measure clearances etc.

Hope that's OK Thumbs Up

Post #13114 16th Jan 2008 1:23 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Cheers Jimmy

that would be great if you get the chance, don't go out of your way as it will be later in the year when i need some. If the wife give permission for another little trip away with the snowboard Whistle

But it will be nice to know that i don't have to find £300 for spikes Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #13116 16th Jan 2008 1:54 pm
attox

Italy 

jimmy wrote:
attox wrote:

attox wrote:

What sensors ?? Question

Hi Jimmy, I just folowed the reccomendation of the Owner's manual.
Anyway I checked on the Konig site and as you mentioned they suggest size number 247 with the following note:

"Attention! Your vehicle's manufacturer coiuld have defined some specific notes about the snow chains fitting.
We reccomend you read the car maintenace booklet and follow what is written there."

As far as are the sensors I just reported what i heard around. We have to consider that the chain has a certain movement when in operation and therefore could (I underline could) interfere with anything around.

Post #13119 16th Jan 2008 2:04 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>