Home > Technical > Rain sensor wiper
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
GritWrangler

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Sumatra Black
Rain sensor wiper

Hi - new to the site but already got a load of answers Very Happy

I have tried searching for help on the rain sensor but without much luck, currently my FL2 (59) rain sensor doesn't appear to work. The stalk control doesn't really do anything and even when driving at 70 it can be throwing it down and it will just be on intermittent.

The car is still under warranty (Guy salmon) and they have now looked at it 3 times, replaced the motor but they haven't done anything with the senor.

I was wondering if other people find that the sensor works and what I should say to Guy Salmon to actually fix it?

Many thanks in advance
D

Post #164695 17th Dec 2012 2:45 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Hi & welcome to the forum.

I've had 2 Freelander 2's of my own and use a number of them at work as well and to be honest have not had any issues with the automatic wiper function.

Good way of testing the sensor is to set the wipers to automatic and spray the screen with a hose, if the wipers function as normal then it is not the sensor. If the wipers do not function then I'd lool at the sensor being faulty which may be overcome by checking the wiring or possibly with a new windscreen. Also if the wipers work on manual mode as they should I can't really see how it can be the motor that is the problem.

Post #164697 17th Dec 2012 2:56 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

You'll find a number of posts on here regarding problems with the automatic wipers - some people have even resorted to removing the fuse controlling them thus converting them into normal variable speed intermittents.

I find mine to be hit-and-miss. Sometimes they're OK, sometimes they'll wipe a dry screen, or not wipe a rain-soaked one. And, like you, the sensitivity control on the arm seems to do very little in practice.

At this time of year you also need to be aware that damage can result if the auto function tries to operate wipers which are iced to the screen (again, other posts relate).

Post #164700 17th Dec 2012 3:09 pm
GritWrangler

Thanks everyone - I will try with the hose. At the moment they seem very random, they occasionally wipe when completely dry and don't engage on a higher speed when it is getting biblical.

I was a little surprised as my BMW (sorry) worked really well and I never touched the arm after buying the car

Good point on freezing as well. I hadn't thought of that.

Post #164704 17th Dec 2012 4:29 pm
Pedro

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Galway Green

My view is that the FL2 system is somewhat random. For example, my wipers were happily wiping away on a dry screen the other day but when i went through a deep puddle and the screen got covered in water they stopped ! I rapidly hit the wiper arm and got the screen cleared in time ! i think i'll have the fuse out once the warranty finishes. FL2 HSE Auto Galway Green
Evoque SD4 Auto Blue.
FL1 HSE TD4 Manual Black - Gone.
RR Classic V8 EFI - Gone

Post #164719 17th Dec 2012 6:16 pm
GritWrangler

Really quite odd that a £40k car doesn't have wipers that work properly? I know it isn't a major item but it is quite annoying.

Post #164772 18th Dec 2012 10:29 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1