« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Engine removal
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
fredastaire

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black
Engine removal

Does anybody have a wriiten know how on removing a FL2 2.2 engine from an auto whilst leaving the transmission still fully installed?
I have the CD workshop manual which details lowering the whole engine/box module out the bottom and also details removing the transmission whilst leaving the engine in however it doesnt give the option I want.
I think theres enough space for the engine to come out on its own by hoisting upwards but would like confirmation.
(ive bought a 2010 FL2 with big ends gone) Thumbs Up

Post #164292 13th Dec 2012 8:37 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Drop it all as one. Mucking around trying to align back up on re-install could damaged the auto box or flex-plate.

How on earth has that knocked its ends out and is it not still under warranty on a 10 plate ? or has it been abused.

Post #164326 14th Dec 2012 9:46 am
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

It much better to remove both engine and box as one then seperate once out same goes for the install

Post #164335 14th Dec 2012 11:09 am
LRswe

2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

I would agree, its a real pain in the behind getting any gearbox and engine to line up on the car, they both need to be at the roght angle and the splines need to be rotated. Get it all out for the win!

Post #164372 14th Dec 2012 2:33 pm
fredastaire

Re big ends gone, I bought the car on eBay in that state, it's previous owner never had it serviced in 34k so when the oil ran out....... I assume landrover warranty would not apply Question[/code] 2010GS Auto ex Celeb, Santorini Black, 2011 facelift , spoiler, spats, mudflaps, LED footwell lamps, Witter detach,
Other cars:-
1958 & 1959 Austin J40 Pedal Cars under restoration (I make many J40 parts)
If you have an Austin J40 or Pathfinder Pedal Car looking for a new home pls PM me.
2009 Meriva

Post #164386 14th Dec 2012 4:31 pm
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

Hi, you say the "big ends" have gone. What is it exactly that you are trying to do? The Big ends Are the "shells" Crnkshaft bearings that the crankshaft runs in. These are usually of split design.
If "as you say the oil ran out" your going to have much more damage than these bearings. If your looking to replace parts you would be better off having the engine compleatly stripped, rebored and all new internal parts fitted and thats only if the bare block is still servicable.
The cost for all these parts upto and including camshafts etc will cost a small fortune. Cheaper to buy a reconditioned engine or for peace of mine a new compleate engine as the car is so new.

Post #164393 14th Dec 2012 6:46 pm
fredastaire

I have bought a replacement engine ex test rig complete with all fittments except it's never had alternator or aircon or power steering pump fitted.
I live at home and have an engine hoist but not any h ramp
I want to remove my engine ancillaries and hoist the engine out the top leaving the auto box in the car
Has anybody got knowledge of top removal and a schedule of how to do it? 2010GS Auto ex Celeb, Santorini Black, 2011 facelift , spoiler, spats, mudflaps, LED footwell lamps, Witter detach,
If you have an Austin J40 or Pathfinder Pedal Car looking for a new home pls PM me.
2009 Meriva

Post #164395 14th Dec 2012 7:07 pm
Toadshall

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

Hi,

To expand on your username I think you are about to provide a merry dance for yourself in terms of access and alignment.

A number of the farming community locally have platform or 4 point hoists, for their own maintenance work, and you may be able to negotiate for access. Alternatively some of the smaller ind est garage units have spare capacity on a second hoist. Finally, you could arrange a deal where you install with the help of a local small garage with labour on a price per hour basis. That would enable you to pre prep on site.

Could you explain what you mean by an ex test rig engine - whose and for what for example!

Regards Toadshall

Post #164413 14th Dec 2012 9:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
heliosuk

The quickest, safest and easiest way is to drop the whole powertrain out from underneath and you cannot do this on a four poster. I'd also be interested in what your test rig engine is as usually they are shagged and no good to anyone.

Post #164432 14th Dec 2012 11:01 pm
Toadshall

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

Hi heliosuk,

I would be appreciative if you would be more specific.

By four poster do you mean a platform or a four point location system? I would be amazed if most modern designs of either persuasion did not allow full powertrain removal. However, I accept their may be a few designs lurking about that fall short of this.

Could you elaborate on the specific engineering constraint please and perhaps the related hoist brands.

Regards Toadshall

Post #164435 14th Dec 2012 11:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

I suppose you could remove the gearbox and then the engine if youre concerned about the weight/bulk of the whole assembled unit?

Post #164480 15th Dec 2012 11:14 am
fredastaire

Re mr toadshall my thoughts are to minimise dismantling intervention rather than 'constraints'
The fact that is an auto should mean no splines or shafts to align which the manual has. I
As I see it having unbolted the flex plate I only have to move the engine say 30mm to the left to clear the bell housing
The advantage is no draining the auto, no removing drive shafts (with risks of seal damage and needing extractors).
There is enough clearance to shunt the engine to the drivers chassis leg however it's the rear clearance for the turbo which looks more difficult.
I'm still hoping that somebody has done top lift 2010GS Auto ex Celeb, Santorini Black, 2011 facelift , spoiler, spats, mudflaps, LED footwell lamps, Witter detach,
2009 Meriva

Post #164507 15th Dec 2012 4:57 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Removing the engine from the auto box has to be taken with extreme care, otherwise damage to the front pump and converter seal could occur or buckling of the flex plate. It would be much better to take it all out the bottom and take car to separate and reconnect.
When re-mating the auto box if the converter slips slightly and disengages from one of its sets of splines and you bolt up the flex plate you can screw the auto box good and proper ! seen a few done in past years.

To be honest the convertor must be supported with a bar tool as soon as it comes out of the flex plate spigot,

I would be interested to know what test rig the engine came from because when i was involved with engine test rigs they were absolutely hammered to the max 24/7 & used for testing fuels, and oils etc. When they were removed and stripped they were past normal rebuilding parameters and we used to end up metal spraying cranks and actually re-lining blocks !

Post #164513 15th Dec 2012 6:02 pm
jp

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

I did see this way how to remove an engine (may be not what your looking for Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #164538 15th Dec 2012 9:22 pm
heliosuk

Toadshall wrote:
Hi heliosuk,

I would be appreciative if you would be more specific.

By four poster do you mean a platform or a four point location system? I would be amazed if most modern designs of either persuasion did not allow full powertrain removal. However, I accept their may be a few designs lurking about that fall short of this.

Could you elaborate on the specific engineering constraint please and perhaps the related hoist brands.

Regards

General terms used in the industry are as follows as this is obviously a bit difficult!

A two poster ramp has two posts with 4 body mounting points. Commonly known as a wheel free.
A four poster has four posts and two platforms on which the car stands as though it was on the ground, connected together.

The physical packaging of the freelander does not allow for the removal of the powertrain through the top of the engine bay nor does it allow for the removal of the engine on it's own so it all has to come out through the bottom.

The problem with a four poster with platforms is that it restricts access and the extended hydraulic jacks to support the powertrain do not usually allow enough clearance under the platforms to remove the powertrain once dropped out of the vehicle even at full height.

Detailed info on the correct way to change the engine or transmission can be found in TOPIX which I believe is available for a small fee and well worth it.

Post #164543 15th Dec 2012 10:28 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>